The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Don Lever Has Been Let Go

AK-1

1993_2.jpg

DON LEVER

Position: Head Coach, Hamilton Bulldogs

On July 28th, 2005, Don Lever was appointed Head Coach of the Hamilton Bulldogs. Lever, who succeeds Doug Jarvis - now an assistant with the Canadiens, becomes the sixth head coach in Bulldogs' history. Lever, a 52-year-old native of South Porcupine, Ontario, was the St. Louis Blues' assistant coach in 2002-03 and 2003-04. While Lever was in St. Louis, the Blues earned a record of 80 wins, 54 losses, 22 ties, and 8 overtime losses (.579). Prior to joining St. Louis in 2002, Lever spent 12 seasons in the Buffalo Sabres organization. Lever began his coaching career as a Sabres assistant in the 1987-88 season. He then served as head coach of the Rochester Americans, in the American Hockey League, from 1990-92, before returning to Buffalo as an assistant for the 1992-93 season. In 1990-91, Lever's first season as coach of the Amerks, he won the Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award, as AHL Coach of the Year, after Rochester reached the Calder Cup Finals following a league best 45-26-9 regular season.ecomes Bauer Nike Hockey Inc. Mr. Boivin will remain as CEO of the new company until 1999.

If Lever is to be our next head coach, does he speak French? And if he doesn't, well then, isn't that very interesting?...

I hope you're joking, right ? We have to stop thinking this way. I'm french, and I don't give a damn about the language the players and coach speak. Subtitles and translators exist.

I hope you're joking, right ? We have to stop thinking this way. I'm french, and I don't give a damn about the language the players and coach speak. Subtitles and translators exist.

Dude, you are completely misunderstanding me. :)

I don't give a damn whether a coach speaks French or not. To my mind, it has nothing to do with what he's being paid for. However, it would be a very interesting move on Gainey's part to hire a Habs coach who couldn't speak French. When was the last time that happened? Bob Berry in the early '80s?

It would be a major policy shift in the organization, is what I'm saying.

I don't give a damn whether a coach speaks French or not. To my mind, it has nothing to do with what he's being paid for. However, it would be a very interesting move on Gainey's part to hire a Habs coach who couldn't speak French. When was the last time that happened? Bob Berry in the early '80s?

I hear ya weeps who would have thought. I don't know a lot about lever but he seems to have done a good job in Hamilton. Now that half his team is up here he should fit in nicely. MMW but I bet price goes on a tear now. I hear he really liked lever as a coach. Time will tell. Good move bob. Now don't ever put BGL back in the line-up and play dandy on d and we are good

Here are his coaching credentials:

Season Team Lge Type GP W L T OTL Pct Result

1987-88 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1988-89 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1990-91 Rochester Americans AHL Head Coach 80 45 26 9 0 0.619 Lost in Finals

1991-92 Rochester Americans AHL Head Coach 80 37 31 12 0 0.537 Lost in round 3

1992-93 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1993-94 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1994-95 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1995-96 Buffalo Sabres NHL Associate Coach

1996-97 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1997-98 Buffalo Sabres NHL Associate Coach

1998-99 Buffalo Sabres NHL Associate Coach

1999-00 Buffalo Sabres NHL Associate Coach

2000-01 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

2001-02 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

2002-03 St. Louis Blues NHL Assistant Coach

2003-04 St. Louis Blues NHL Assistant Coach

2004-05 NHL Strike

2005-06 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL Head Coach 80 35 41 0 4 0.463 Out of Playoffs

2006-07 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL Head Coach 80 43 28 0 9 0.594 Won Championship

2007-08 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL Head Coach 80 36 34 0 10 0.512

2008-09 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL Head Coach 65 39 24 2 0

All that time as an assistant must mean he's a good systems guy. Someone who knows his Xs and Os. Which we desperately need. Jarvis has failed in this regard and Muller is still too new to the coaching business.

so true, all those years in buffalo...and then head coaching in hamilton, definitely not a rookie when it comes to coaching and that is nice to have that comfort.

Here are his coaching credentials:

Season Team Lge Type GP W L T OTL Pct Result

1987-88 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1988-89 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1990-91 Rochester Americans AHL Head Coach 80 45 26 9 0 0.619 Lost in Finals

1991-92 Rochester Americans AHL Head Coach 80 37 31 12 0 0.537 Lost in round 3

1992-93 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1993-94 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1994-95 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1995-96 Buffalo Sabres NHL Associate Coach

1996-97 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1997-98 Buffalo Sabres NHL Associate Coach

1998-99 Buffalo Sabres NHL Associate Coach

1999-00 Buffalo Sabres NHL Associate Coach

2000-01 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

2001-02 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

2002-03 St. Louis Blues NHL Assistant Coach

2003-04 St. Louis Blues NHL Assistant Coach

2004-05 NHL Strike

2005-06 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL Head Coach 80 35 41 0 4 0.463 Out of Playoffs

2006-07 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL Head Coach 80 43 28 0 9 0.594 Won Championship

2007-08 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL Head Coach 80 36 34 0 10 0.512

2008-09 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL Head Coach 65 39 24 2 0

Wow u gotto admit that is rather impressive..

gotta say, i dont know lever at all as a coach but he has a ton of experience and that sounds great to me. we need better tactitians behind the bench, carbs and muller were just too green. i think lever is going to help a lot, ive read a lot of praise about him from our forum members who follow the dogs, and the fact that hes coached all our young guys cant hurt either. i like the move

Lever has had to speak Czech, Belarussian etc etc etc.........he is an excellent mentor to young players, we are very sorry to lose him here in Hamilton but are thrilled he is finally getting the recognition he deserves and thrilled that he will resume the work Claude Julien (also former Bulldog) did to bring us back to the glory days! WAY TO GO DON!!!!!

All that time as an assistant must mean he's a good systems guy. Someone who knows his Xs and Os. Which we desperately need. Jarvis has failed in this regard and Muller is still too new to the coaching business.

I've seen both Jarvis and Lever coach in Hamilton and (no offense meant to the 'iron man' - one of the all time great Habs!) but Lever is head and tails above Jarvis in all respects as a coach!!!

I'm not sure if he's being groomed for the head coaching position or if this position is just as it appears. I think it's a good move, one of the most worrying things about this season is our young players taking steps back. We are way too dependent on our veterans to help us win. Lever understands developing young players properly and can hopefully reverse that trend.

I'm not sure if I want him as head coach. He's a good choice, but I'd kind of like to look at some guys with NHL head coaching experience.

If Lever is to be our next head coach, does he speak French? And if he doesn't, well then, isn't that very interesting?...

Oui, his name is Donald Lévèr. (Kind of looks like a tired owl (évè)) Can't wait till one of the Montreal politicians comes out with some dumb comment about his inability to speak French. If it's not about Saku or Habs logos at fire stations or copying the MMMMuffins logo to represent Montreal, it's something else....(useless nevertheless) These people have nothing better to do than to waste our time and our money.

This just in:

In the midst of all the line juggling Carbo was somehow moved to towel boy behind the Habs bench and Gainey has moved from upstairs to coach the team tonight.

...ok, so wishful thinking...( ^O^ )

Well I was a few days off but I don't think Carbo will agree to pass out towels just yet.

Don Lever is a good person, was a good player here in Niagara Falls and is a good and well respected coach in Hamilton. I have no doubt in my mind that he would make an excellent coach in Montreal and he has shown already that he has the ability to communicate with his players, no matter what the language differences are. If he gets the chance I think he will prove himself. His biggest problem of course will be with the press and the language barriers there. Hopefully they (the press) will judge him on the team's progress and not his ability to speak with them. Gainey learned how to do it and Lever could do it as well if he chooses to. I like the choice, if it happens!

Archived