The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Don Lever To Finish The Season In Montreal

BadBrains

Team 990 is reporting that Don Lever, coach of the Hamilton Bulldogs, will finish the season alongside Gainey behind the bench for the Montreal Canadiens.

Gainey has been in Hamilton for the past few days evaluating Lever and he is slated to be the next coach of the Habs.

edit: Title should read "reported" not reposted.

What kind of style does Lever coach? Offensive or defensive.

Whatever style he coaches, it has to be better than the 'system' (and I use the word very loosely) we've had to endure over the past three years.

Hopefully Lever will be able to build a system around the strengths of our players, instead of forcing them to fit into a system for which they weren't suited, as Carbonneau did.

I hope you're joking, right ? We have to stop thinking this way. I'm french, and I don't give a damn about the language the players and coach speak. Subtitles and translators exist.

Dude, you are completely misunderstanding me. :)

I don't give a damn whether a coach speaks French or not. To my mind, it has nothing to do with what he's being paid for. However, it would be a very interesting move on Gainey's part to hire a Habs coach who couldn't speak French. When was the last time that happened? Bob Berry in the early '80s?

It would be a major policy shift in the organization, is what I'm saying.

For a team built on youth, Lever is a good candidate to help them develop and flourish. I still don't like hiring a guy who's never coached at all at the NHL level, but he can't help but be an improvement on Carbonneau.

He's actually coached for 20 years now, mostly with Buffalo as an associate/assistant.

According to HockeyDB, he's only been a headcoach in the AHL with Rochester('90-91, '91-92) and Hamilton('05-06 til now).

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3128

Well, I still feel much better about him with all that assistant-level NHL experience. Gainey's being pretty cagey about the whole replacement thing, so Lever may not wind up being the guy after all, but if Bob does hire Lever, I won't be unhappy.

He's actually coached for 20 years now, mostly with Buffalo as an associate/assistant.

You are quite right js2.

According to HockeyDB, he's only been a headcoach in the AHL with Rochester('90-91, '91-92) and Hamilton('05-06 til now).

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3128

As a head coach but as js2 has pointed out he has 20 years (counting this season) coaching experience in total; 10 of those as an assistant coach and 4 as an associate coach in the NHL . He is very qualified.

Season Team Lge Type GP W L T OTL Pct Result

1987-88 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1988-89 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1990-91 Rochester Americans AHL Head Coach 80 45 26 9 0 0.619 Lost in Finals

1991-92 Rochester Americans AHL Head Coach 80 37 31 12 0 0.537 Lost in round 3

1992-93 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1993-94 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1994-95 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1995-96 Buffalo Sabres NHL Associate Coach

1996-97 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

1997-98 Buffalo Sabres NHL Associate Coach

1998-99 Buffalo Sabres NHL Associate Coach

1999-00 Buffalo Sabres NHL Associate Coach

2000-01 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

2001-02 Buffalo Sabres NHL Assistant Coach

2002-03 St. Louis Blues NHL Assistant Coach

2003-04 St. Louis Blues NHL Assistant Coach

2004-05 NHL Strike

2005-06 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL Head Coach 80 35 41 0 4 0.463 Out of Playoffs

2006-07 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL Head Coach 80 43 28 0 9 0.594 Won Championship

2007-08 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL Head Coach 80 36 34 0 10 0.512

2008-09 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL Head Coach 65 39 24 2 0

Probably finish the season with BG as the head coach and then when BG clears out most of the 12 UFA on the roster Don Lever would be the best option to coach a large group of players that played for him in Hamilton including a Calder Cup win.

I don't care if Don Lever speaks english, french, or another language. He must speak hockey since he has been a coach for a long time.

It is possible to learn french. Lots of Montreal hockey players have chosen to learn English so they can communicate better.

Some of the best players to ever wear the CH did not speak french when they started in Montreal. They spoke hockey.

It also might only be a temporary coach as Don Lever has stated at least once that he wants to remain in the Buffalo area because of family. Hamilton is not a long drive to Buffalo. I guess Montreal is not a long plane ride.

For a team built on youth, Lever is a good candidate to help them develop and flourish. I still don't like hiring a guy who's never coached at all at the NHL level, but he can't help but be an improvement on Carbonneau.

Absolutely right, He knows some of these guys and the styles they can play, he has the experience with the players in the calder cup and this could help us get to the playoffs!!

Probably finish the season with BG as the head coach and then when BG clears out most of the 12 UFA on the roster Don Lever would be the best option to coach a large group of players that played for him in Hamilton including a Calder Cup win.

I don't care if Don Lever speaks english, french, or another language. He must speak hockey since he has been a coach for a long time.

It is possible to learn french. Lots of Montreal hockey players have chosen to learn English so they can communicate better.

Some of the best players to ever wear the CH did not speak french when they started in Montreal. They spoke hockey.

I don't care if he he speaks or reads French too.....this way if he doesn't understand the language he won't notice all the rubbish that is spewed on a daily basis from some of these fools in the media

Archived