The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Movie Thread

Lynch_mtl

After seeing threads discussing Polytechnique and the Watchmen, I figured it would be a good idea to create a thread to discuss movies.

The point of this thread is to discuss upcoming movies, post your opinion, show your excitement for hot summer flicks, show your appreciation for the classics, talk about award shows, and more.

I hope you guys have fun with this, let this be a distraction for rough times for the habs and don't be afraid to even discuss your own love for movies, and post top 10 lists.

Just saw the move Donnie Darkko, it's pretty weird but I thought it wasn't too bad overall. Anyone seen it? It's an old movie.

Donnie Darko is not old! :P The movie's a classic, and I love it. #5 on my list of favorite movies. Kind of weird though, eh? But I find it creative. A conversation I was having with a teacher involved the teacher telling me there are really only 6 stories(like for everything, plays, movies, books) and then proceded to list those stories. This movie's creatvity just proved her completely wrong.

I gave it a 9.2/10. Quality stuff.

Just saw the move Donnie Darkko, it's pretty weird but I thought it wasn't too bad overall. Anyone seen it? It's an old movie.

Could have been good if they didn't assume the viewers could figure everything on their own. Too many parts that didn't make sense until you read a summary afterwards. I've heard the director's cut is much better.

Could have been good if they didn't assume the viewers could figure everything on their own. Too many parts that didn't make sense until you read a summary afterwards. I've heard the director's cut is much better.

I found it to be a good thing. So many movies say "our movie allows you to use your imagination" and they feel this justifies a terrible incomplete ending. This movie truly allows you to use your imagination, and really makes this movie your own in a way.

The director's cut just fills in the blanks and explains everything for you, which is better in some ways.

Donnie Darko is not old! :P The movie's a classic, and I love it. #5 on my list of favorite movies. Kind of weird though, eh? But I find it creative. A conversation I was having with a teacher involved the teacher telling me there are really only 6 stories(like for everything, plays, movies, books) and then proceded to list those stories. This movie's creatvity just proved her completely wrong.

I gave it a 9.2/10. Quality stuff.

Yeah it was a little strange, but I did like it nonetheless.

Actually Graeme the Directors cut was the version I saw. Now I'm thinking about trying to hunt down the original, I have to see the difference.

I found it to be a good thing. So many movies say "our movie allows you to use your imagination" and they feel this justifies a terrible incomplete ending. This movie truly allows you to use your imagination, and really makes this movie your own in a way.

The director's cut just fills in the blanks and explains everything for you, which is better in some ways.

I don't like that, because it just left me feeling confused and not really sure what I had watched

Actually Graeme the Directors cut was the version I saw. Now I'm thinking about trying to hunt down the original, I have to see the difference.

You may not get the full effect of it then since your mind will fill in a lot of the blanks in the original since you've already seen the extended one.

It's not a new movie, or an old one, it's just a movie that I saw sooo many times, and every time I see it, I cry. It's called Reign over me. It's the story of Charlie, who had lost his whole family in a plane crash, and became "crazy". He ran into Alan Jonhson, his old college roommate, and they will be friends again. Alan will learn more about Charlie, will hope to be able to help him. This is a very sad movie, I cried a lot, and I'm not the kind of people who cry during movies. The story is very good, and Adam Standler ( Charlie ) is very good doing what he does. We are used to see him in funny movies, so it's different, but very good ! Everyone should see it :)

The story is very good, and Adam Standler ( Charlie ) is very good doing what he does. We are used to see him in funny movies, so it's different, but very good ! Everyone should see it :)

It's funny you say that, because I was watching Truman Show the other day, and I saw that Jim Carrey was doing an amazing job. Comedians do really good jobs when given the opportunity to actually act. Adam Sandler does a good job in Click too. When the movie gets serious, he really steps up his acting.

Twilight just came out on DVD, and bluray I think, and my sister bought it. Would anyone suggest I watch it? Any good reviews?

ugh..

I'm a fan of the books, they are infinitely better; the two will be eternally separated in my mind. I'm probably not going to watch the movies

but if you're in the mood for a gushy Hollywood teenage vampire romance flick then no harm done :]

Just saw Hotel Rwanda, and I must say, Don Cheatle has my respect as an actor. He does such a good job, and the movie is so tense. I would suggest it to anyone who needs to kill a friday night, as it is really well done.

9/10

ugh..

I'm a fan of the books, they are infinitely better; the two will be eternally separated in my mind. I'm probably not going to watch the movies

but if you're in the mood for a gushy Hollywood teenage vampire romance flick then no harm done :]

Suggestion noted.

Twilight just came out on DVD, and bluray I think, and my sister bought it. Would anyone suggest I watch it? Any good reviews?

aside from a great fight scene at the end the effects are brutal. i'd wait for the sequel when they actually have a budget.

Watched the movie "The Wrestler" not long ago. Mickey Rourke does an awesome job portraying a washed up wrestler. The movie was very good and you don't have to enjoy wrestling to like it (though it helps :) )

for me it was almost too good. it felt so real i was disturbed by it and could barely get through it.

saw 'i love you, man' and laughed my butt off.

I just saw the Knowing tonight, from a guy who usually goes into movies expecting the worse (which has come from years of going to the movies and rarely seeing anything original), I must say this wasn't bad.

Very cool action sequences and a actually decent plotline although a couple of loose ends.

Have to agree. Not bad, but the ending left a lot of questions.

from a guy who usually goes into movies expecting the worse (which has come from years of going to the movies and rarely seeing anything original

For you, and people like this, see the movie Se7en. It's kind of gruesome, but the story is really good, and I would suggest everyone who's old enough to watch it do so.

9.4/10. Excellent acting, from everyone, yet no academy award nominations.

Don't check imdb for info. You never know what the site is going to ruin for you about the movie. Amazing movie.

saw 'i love you, man' and laughed my butt off.

Rudd is amazing in everything I see him in, but the other guy, who fights the Hulk, makes me not want to see it though. He looks annoying.

Rudd is amazing in everything I see him in, but the other guy, who fights the Hulk, makes me not want to see it though. He looks annoying.

Rudd is amazing in the movie, also I suggest you see Role Models (freaking hilarious)

As for Jason Segel (the other guy, from how I met your mother) hes actually pretty funny in the movie, and Ive always like him in HIMYM.

Overall though Id say Role Models is better, but I love you man is still a fun watch, Id just torrent it or rent it though (as theater prices are getting ridiculous)

Just saw Hotel Rwanda, and I must say, Don Cheatle has my respect as an actor. He does such a good job, and the movie is so tense. I would suggest it to anyone who needs to kill a friday night, as it is really well done.
I'd suggest Traitor then too. Cheadle is quite a good actor, and I was impressed with him and the movie.

9/10

Suggestion noted.

I should watch that some time, sounds like a good movie. And I believe the General 'character' is based on Romeo Dallaire, so some Canadian connection.

• 1 month later...

Archived