The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Parade In Hartford.....bring Back The Whalers

whalerfan

The Hartford Whaler booster club contingent marched in the St. Patricks day parade and was a huge hit with the crowd . The Hartford Whaler booster club was met with loud cheers and "Lets go Whalers" chants and ofcourse Brass Bonanza could be heard. We will never forget our Whalers and we will never stop trying to get the NHL back in Hartford.

3354737153_a137b9c643.jpg

3354737945_112b60c929.jpg

3354738201_3689fee57d.jpg

3354738363_619cd07a7c.jpg

3354738613_1f2162290f.jpg

3354739205_3d7e3fd0e3.jpg

The problem with that parade is that it is in front of a bunch of Ranger and Bruin fans. I remember watching the Rangers play the Whalers in Hartford and the crowd would erupt in "Let's Go Rangers". It was too much for Hartford to ask of people to cease being fans of an Original 6 team to support them.

The problem with that parade is that it is in front of a bunch of Ranger and Bruin fans. I remember watching the Rangers play the Whalers in Hartford and the crowd would erupt in "Let's Go Rangers". It was too much for Hartford to ask of people to cease being fans of an Original 6 team to support them.

Ahhhhh, judging by your name I doubt you were at the parade. There were and are plenty of Whaler fans here in Hartford. There also was no problem with NYR and Boston I too was at almost all the games for those rivals, it made for a great atmosphere at the Hartford Civic center. Many of the fans you talk about also came from NY and Boston. I suppose Toronto should not exist due to the large number of Montreal fans that attend those games.

Having a city with an NHL team close to another city is not a bad thing. Rivals and sell out crowds only help the cause.....I know I enjoy watching a Montreal/Toronto game ( except for that last one :angry: ) just to see the excitement in the crowds, the cheering for both teams. That makes for some great hockey. Seeing a Hartford/Boston game on Center ice would be awesome now but I guess you would rather have all the excitement of a half empty arena in Atlanta watching your rangers play the Thrashers....yeah thats exciting :rolleyes:

funny I don't see one ranger jersey

3355556334_7b3f2f0538.jpg

I do know Bettman and the Hartmord Mayor were discussing it about a month or so ago.

Hey SF.......yes they were. We have plans for a new arena, we have a two locations picked at the moment and we have a possible owner although he's been layin low as of late. He is a large real estate owner here in Hartford and at the moment is in charge of managing the Hartford Civic center. We have alot of work thats needs to be done and the economy going in the tank did not help our cause to justify a new arena.

We are kind of stuck ...the state will not approve a new arena with the hopes of getting an NHL team and the NHL will not look at us without a new areana. Our only plus is the Hartford Civic center could house an NHL team until the new arena is built. Hey, I can dream can't I :mellow:

Ahhhhh, judging by your name I doubt you were at the parade. There were and are plenty of Whaler fans here in Hartford. There also was no problem with NYR and Boston I too was at almost all the games for those rivals, it made for a great atmosphere at the Hartford Civic center. Many of the fans you talk about also came from NY and Boston. I suppose Toronto should not exist due to the large number of Montreal fans that attend those games.

Having a city with an NHL team close to another city is not a bad thing. Rivals and sell out crowds only help the cause.....I know I enjoy watching a Montreal/Toronto game ( except for that last one :angry: ) just to see the excitement in the crowds, the cheering for both teams. That makes for some great hockey. Seeing a Hartford/Boston game on Center ice would be awesome now but I guess you would rather have all the excitement of a half empty arena in Atlanta watching your rangers play the Thrashers....yeah thats exciting :rolleyes:

Don't see any Hartford Jerseys either. :lol::P Your logic is sound though, both with NY/Boston and Atlanta. I always hated the Whalers for some reason. I'd like to bring 'em back. Nothing better than lovin' your team more as a a result of hatin' others.

Are you in any of those pictures/taking the pictures?

Hey, I would like to see the old Harford Whalers back. It was really great to have them. Not only would the renew their rivalry with the Bruins(because the Rangers played in a different division, I always associated the Bruins to be the Whalers' main rival) but there would be a new rivalry with Carolina. That would be cool.

But the facts are facts, Connecticut is right in the middle of the Boston and New York markets. Both with Original 6 teams where support for either the Bruins or Rangers has been passed down from parent to child. Both the B's and Blueshirts been around for over 80 years, they have a tradition that is hard to penetrate. But you may get new arrivals to Conn to support the new Whalers. It is hard to fight the establishment.

Look at the New Jersey Devils, they play literally down the tracks from the Rangers. They have a brand new arena, they have been more successful than the Rangers over the past 15 years. Yet, they cannot draw the support that the Rangers have. In NJ, people who live in the northern part of the state tend to be Ranger fans and people in the southern part of the state tend to be Flyer fans. There are pockets of Devil fans out there, but they pale in comparison to the support of either the Rangers or Flyers.

The same thing with the Islanders, they had managed to wean people away from the Rangers during their glory years. However once Bossy, Smith, and Potvin hung up their skates, their fan base disappated.

You can't compare Montreal and Toronto with Boston and Hartford. It is apples and oranges. The Habs and Leafs have been around for ages. Toronto and Montreal are close, but not that close. Both cities are metropolises in their own right. Also you have the whole Franco/Anglo divide to consider. I am all for rivalries, even in the same city. However I think putting one team in the city and another the 'burbs is not wise.

The issue wasn't support from the fans. The whalers at one time did have the largest season ticket base from individuals in the league, we also did have 40,000 show up for a downtown parade for winning the opening round in the playoffs and losing the second round. The fans are here...ofcourse like any other team. We had some lean years in the 90's when the team was terrible and management was even worse.

The real issue then was no salary cap, no revenue sharing and no big corporate support due to a lack of real skybox seating. Our location is not a factor. When the whalers left it was due to an arena and nothing else. We offered an arena and the owner pushed for more ( he wanted all losses covered by the state while the new arena was being built).

The corporate support is coming forward. Three CEO's were with the Mayor when e met with Bettman last month. There is renewed talk of getting the arena on track and whaler merchandise is selling like crazy at the NHL.store ;) ( from what I heard 2nd to #1 Washington)

NOTE...."burbs?"................Hartford is the largest media market in the U.S without a pro sports team....facts are facts

Don't see any Hartford Jerseys either. :lol::P Your logic is sound though, both with NY/Boston and Atlanta. I always hated the Whalers for some reason. I'd like to bring 'em back. Nothing better than lovin' your team more as a a result of hatin' others.

Are you in any of those pictures/taking the pictures?

do you see the guy with his back to you with the whaler road blue jersey ;) .........and no, I am not in any pics :(

Hartford is my birthplace so it always holds a special place in my heart. That and the fact my dad (architect) designed Gordie Howe's house when he played for the whale ;)

Id love to see them get a franchise again - and definitely there are plenty of less deserving markets that i wouldnt mind seeing losing a franchise.

Archived