The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Now Or Never - Montreal Canadiens Vs New York Rangers

pitbull12

Win and your in...

1695hld.jpg

Who is Hot

For Montreal

- Alex Kovalev has 8 points in his last 3 games, 16 points in his last 7.

- Alex Tanguay and Saku Koivu both have 10 points each in their last 7 games.

- Carey Price is 3-0-1 in his last 4 games.

For New York

- Scott Gomez has 9 points in his last 12 games.

Who is Not

For Montreal

- Tomas Plekanec has 0 points in his last 5 games.

- Andrei Kostitsyn who has been a healthy scratch in the last two games is pointless in his last 8 games.

For New York

- Henrik Lundvist is 0-2-0 in his last 2 games.

- Nikolai Zherdev has 0 points in his last 3 games.

- Chris Drury and Nik Antropov have 0 points in their last 2 games.

- Markus Naslund has 0 points in his last 4 games.

Got ya thinking...

- Will Carey Price start in goal? He has missed the past three contests with the flu.

- Will Mathieu Schneider play tonight?

- Will the Canadiens bounch back after a tough 3-2 loss to the Senators last nght.

- Will Gainey re-insert Andrei Kostitsyn into the lineup?

Yah that was at the all-star game i believe.

A must win tonight if we want to remain in 7th place.

Hopefully the flu doesn't make Price lose his game. If he is still Hot we will win this just because Price out goalied Lundquist.

I hope O'byrne sits in the press box this game.

Yes hopefully Price will shine tonight...and yesss, i agree about O'Byrne.

So... If we win we're into the post-season? <_<

I have zero faith without Markov and Schneider, but maybe... Just maybe someone on our team can step up and play a big game from the blueline. We mostly need someone to be very, very effective on the power-play. Does Brisebois or Hamrlik have a great game in them? I hope so. We're going to need one of them to be great for us tonight. Someone has to maintain composure and utilize some skill or we're cooked.

Just because there have been a lot of questions about the "win and we're in" concept at the end of the last gameday thread, I'll repost the logic here.

First off, the following needs to be kept in mind:

The only way the Habs miss the playoffs is if both the Rangers and Panthers pass us in the standings.

Currently the records are as follows:

Canadiens - 92pts (41 wins) - 3 GR

Rangers - 89pts (40 wins) - 3 GR

Scenario #1 - we win in regulation tonight:

That would mean that our records would look like this:

Canadiens - 94pts (42 wins) - 2 GR

Rangers - 89pts (40 wins) - 2 GR

With only 2 games remaining, the Rangers could only reach 93pts at best and could no longer pass us. Therefore we clinch a spot. The Panthers could still bump us to 8th, but we can no longer be bumped to 9th.

Scenario #2 - we win in OT/SO tonight:

That would mean that our records would look like this:

Canadiens - 94pts (42 wins) - 2 GR

Rangers - 90pts (40 wins) - 2 GR

If the Rangers then go on to win their final 2 games, and we lose our final two, our final records would look like this:

Canadiens - 94pts (42 wins)

Rangers - 94pts (42 wins)

The first tiebreaker is the number of wins which would be equal. The second tiebreaker is the winner of the season series between the two teams. With an OT/SO win tonight, I believe our record against the Rangers this year would be 3-0-1, meaning we would win the tiebreaker. Therefore the Rangers could not pass us, and we clinch a spot. Again, the Panthers could still bump us to 8th, but we could no longer be bumped to 9th.

let me put it this way, without Markov or Schneider, I have such little faith in our D. If you want us to make the playoffs, Carey needs to play like an impact player. If you want us to make a deep playoff run (2nd 3rd round), Carey needs to let no more then 1 goal a night, if you want us to win it all like me, Carey needs to play like a god. haha

This is going to be extremely difficult and if we arent any sharper than we were lastnight it wont be close, the rangers are gonna come hard at our defense i just dont know how they will handle it

Now the guys could also be running on adrenaline thinking about the playoff spot but that could also get us in trouble

tonight is a long shot but i guess ya never know....

If we make the playoffs, anything could happen. What if we drew Washington first round and Ovie gets hurt in the first 5 minutes? You just never know. I mean, what were the chances of both elements of our top D pair suffering major injuries in the same game?

As for tonight, again, anything can happen when it comes down to 1 game. Carey could steal this for us. Lundqvist could have a terrible night. All we have to do is look back on this season and realize how many games we won that weren't deserved, and how many we lost that we deserved to win. I'd love to see a well-deserved win tonight, but I'll take a win tonight in whatever way it comes.

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev...history_state0=

This is the translated CKAC page, regarding whether Schneider or Markov are truly as injured as RDS initially reported. How I would love to see Schneider back tonight.

If this turns out to be true, and given the huge exaggeration re: the Kostitsyn-Hamrlik-mafia story from a few weeks ago, I will never again believe anything coming from the Montreal media.

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev...history_state0=

This is the translated CKAC page, regarding whether Schneider or Markov are truly as injured as RDS initially reported. How I would love to see Schneider back tonight.

If this turns out to be true, and given the huge exaggeration re: the Kostitsyn-Hamrlik-mafia story from a few weeks ago, I will never again believe anything coming from the Montreal media.

SWEET JESUS, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEEE let them come back we need them badly, I've never been so pro defense in my entire life lol. Gainey, I now trust you at drafts anytime you ever get a defenseman hahah I'm so for it

PLEASE let this be true :):):):)

A tough game ahead for our boys in Bleu-Blanc-Rouge.

Despite not having a blueline, I still believe the boys can get it done. Sure the Rangers have a strong home ice win %, but they've also been struggling, slowly slipping out of the play-off race. If our boys take advantage of that-instead of helping a struggling team get over their slump-then we could win this game. A win tonight won't guarantee us a playoff spot, but it will make it harder on the Rangers and the Panthers to catch us.

Hamrlik came into the league as a promising offensive d-man. Things didn't quite work out for him as an offensive threat, but he still has the capability to play an offensive game. He scored a nice goal last night, so in a pinch, I can see Hamrlik and Brise take over the blueline.

With Dandy, we have an ace... He can play forward as well as defense. If we use Dandy on the pp (I know he's not a pp type player), we could have 4 forwards and only one defense. Dandy technically would be the 4th forward and could also defend if the play turns over. I would also use him while our younger (less experienced D's) were on the ice, he could step in if our d gets into trouble.

I'd rather see Dandy on the back end, but if BG continues to use him as a forward, why not use him as a backup d in case the young-ins need the help.

We need another strong game from Higgins, he was excellent on the PK last night despite having lost his stick. With our d crippled, I think Higgins would be better on a back-checking/grinder line instead of a scoring line. Or, if he stays on the Plex line, rotate him with Lats when we need a defensive line. Lats has played well with Laps, but I think Laps-Kosto-Higgins would be better on the pk.

Cant wait for this game to start, winning is all. To bad the game wont be broadcasted live here, but the replay will be on wednesday evening... dont think I can wait that long for the result though...

Anyway... Get that win guys!!!

GO HABS GO!!!

Archived