The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2nd Last Chance - Game #73 @ Boston

Flying_Lion

Playoff Preview
or Another Nail in the Coffin?

Either way, it's gut check time ... again ...

mtl.png@bos.png

Thursday, April 9th, 2009
7:00PM ET

tdbanknorthBRUINS.jpg

at the TD Banknorth Garden.

stats-1.jpg

GOALIES

Carey Price

cpriceaway.jpg

vs.

Tim "Just-Signed-a-Sweet-Deal" Thomas

tthomashome.jpg

GOALIE STATS

goaliestats090409.png

Habs Magic Number is 1.
I'm pretty sure this is correct. If the Habs can score 1 point in their next 2 games, we're in. I hate to say "if" but let's be serious, swiss cheese is more solid than our blue line right now. (Who invited the Injury Bug to our Birthday Party anyhow?)
That said, a failure by the Panthers to get all 4 of their remaining available points will gift us with a spot in the post-season. Any loss, regulation or extra time, in either of their next 2 games (Atlanta and Washington) greases us into the playoffs.
The Rangers are in there, as well, 1 point behind the Habs with a home-and-home against Philadelphia. Should we fail and Florida succeed, Habs are in if the Rangers throw up and score no more than one point.
We have all the tiebreakers, ... I think. Others will correct me if I'm wrong.

Doug Janik was sent down and Yannick Weber was called up for the power play. Gainey was alleged to be leaning towards Price for net, though not commiting to anything. (www.habsinsideout.com)

This is it, gang. The potentially penultimate game.

GO HABS GO!!!

Tim "Just-Signed-a-Sweet-Deal" Thomas? :lol: Good thread. I'm counting on Florida losing to get us into the playoffs. :P

i'm counting on the rangers to lose to get us into the playoffs. go flyers! **pukes a little** ;)

********************************************************************************

more 'booins make me smile' moments, from my personal collection this time (anything for positive vibes)

I first said to myself that the Panthers had more chances to get the 4 points they need, than us getting a single point. But there is something that crossed my mind when I looked at the players stats in the NHL. Malkin : 110 pts, Ovechkin : 108. Panthers play their last game against Washington, and Ovechkin will do everything in his power to surpass Malkin for the Art Ross, if he has to score 5 goals to do so, he'll do it. Ovie will win that game for us. This is my only hope

It's Game #81 isn't it????

Yup, unless seasons only have 74 games now :P

I think our guys will definately feel a sense of urgency and will play a good game...I really don't care if we win small, win big, win nice, win ugly or even lose in OT/shootout, I'll be happy with us making the playoffs!

I'm counting on Florida losing to get us into the playoffs. :P
unless Johan Hedberg can steal another one from Florida, I wouldn't get my hopes up... the way New Jersey has been playing there's little chance they'll catch Washington, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Caps rest their regulars against Florida on Saturday... so perhaps two wins for Florida...

i'm counting on the rangers to lose to get us into the playoffs. go flyers! **pukes a little** ;)
if the Devils lose in regulation to Ottawa tonight, and they've been absolutely terrible lately, and they have to face the Canes in their last game, I think the Flyers will destroy the Rangers and Isles in their last three games to take the division and the Habs will back into the playoffs...

but the worrying thing is if New Jersey picks up a point against Ottawa, the Flyers won't be able to catch them and may take a dive in their last three games so the Pens will pass them and they don't finish in fourth or fifth and meet the Hurricanes in the first round, even if it means giving up home-ice advantage...

of course, there's always the chance the Flyers do try to lay down and the Pens do the same against the Habs Saturday night... hey, the Pens took a dive in last year's finale too...

edit: apparently the Pens are resting guys tonight against the Isles, Philippe Boucher and backup goaltender Mathieu Garon will be playing... will the trend continue for Saturday?

As I've pointed out before....I'm a Fan....not a cheerleader (I leave cheerleading for the Leaf Nation). [they've had 42 years of practice]

I've only been following this team since 1952 and NEVER, and I mean NEVER have I seen the management of this team, some of the following (usually called fans), and press keep such a blind eye out for a single player in my life. It's excuse, after excuse, after excuse, over a guy who has never proven anything in the NHL of consequence. Look people........ playing well over 20 games does not make a career.....it's called a streak....or some would call it a run of luck. Compare him to Mason of Columbus......not even close.

In the late 60's Rejane Houle & the Jr. Canadiens outdrew the Stanley Cup Canadiens and Houle was supposed to be part of the potenet offence for the 70's. What did Rejane Houle do in the NHL......he became a pop-gun scorer with above average defensive skills. He got benched, he was afforded little ice time when he sucked until he earned his place on the team. Yes, I used that dirty word....EARNED.

The last time Montreal had a real goaltender conflict was between Dryden & Tony Esposito (a guy who holds the modern day shut-out record) after Montreal traded him to Chicago. They kept Dryden....who knew the formula to winning. Had Montreal not traded Tony O.....Ken Dryden couldn't have held up the Habs for ransome when he sat out for a better contract for a season.....and perhaps Tony O would have his name engraved on the Cup instead.

I've seen volumes of excuses written for Price since Gainey made the mistake of bringing him up at the wrong time. That is BG's fault....not the team. Just like the dumb trade he made for Huet......2nd round to Washington....you actually believe he couldn't get a first round draft pick from another bottom feeder team...if not last year...maybe for this year. BG is Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over his head as a GM. And some of the fans are calling him out on that very fact.

BG said that Carbo was his best move...........somehow the fans last year deluded themselves into believing that our Habs ran away with the division last year......THEY DIDN't ....had Boston even won half of the games against Montreal last year...they'd be struggling to make 8th place. Their powerplay gave them 1st place....so what does BG do with that...BOOM!

What other brilllant move did BG make last year....he traded away the quarter back of the powerplay (Streit) who by the way led his team (Islanders) in scoring this year........a player who could play forward & defence & is younnger than Scneider......bad move after bad move after bad move. BG forced Carbo to play his "flop" (Golden boy) when he was stone cold & every other GM in the NHL would have benched him. The club fell in the standings like Ottawa did the year before.

BG had the same problem with Theodore........... after he signed him to a huge contract & the guy couldn't stop a beach-ball. When Julien wanted to play Huet....so the team could win......BG fired him and took over and led them out of the playoffs. What happened...he lost a very good coach & ended up having to get rid of a less than average goaltender he paid a mountain of money to.

It's nice to spend Mr. Gillette's money Bob...isn't it?

BG has a big issue in admitting when he's completely blown it & this team & it's following pay the PRICE.

People would call me a Price-hater...that's the last thing I am......I look for talent and when I don't see it.....I look for it elsewhere. Vince Lombardi said it all........winning isn't everything...it's the only thing. Anything else is for LOSERS.

When fans spend more time making excuses over players.....it's time for management to change the way it's done.

Somehow Carbo could not figure out how to put Kovy, Koviu & Tanguay together........some coach

Price's play in NY disqualified him from any of the rest of the games in the regular season. He has to fight himself into a job. The only reason Montreal is still in the playoff hunt is because Halak stood on his head during his streak of 4 wins until he got the Price Flu. He should be rewarded with ice time and if he stinks then play your back-up.

I'm a realist.....I'm a true fan....and I want my team to win......when I see players taking up space on the ice destroying the confidence of a team I stay bench the bum. Each player is supposed to play their position. Price on Tuesday...had no idea why he was there. Komi had to play goal.....that's not his job.

Go sit in the corner Carey....this is not kindergarden....this is the storied franchaise of the Montreal Canadiens. You are cashing a big fat pay cheque every two weeks that you do not earn.

Excuses is for LOSERS. .......& I've heard more excuses on your play than I've heard in 57 years following the team for any other player who wore the uniform..

Someone please name one other player who had no NHL past and a pretty awful playoff, and stank it up in the second half of the season who have been given so many undeserved chances to play.

BG has turned this from a team sport to BG's favorites only get to play.

My prediction...if Price is in nets......Boston 6 - Montreal 1

If Halak is in nets Boston 4 - Montreal 3 (OT)

This game can make or break it. Really though, this time. I think if we win this one, we beat Pittsburgh and hopefully soar into the playoffs. If we lose, I wouldn't be suprised if we didn't make the playoffs.

Say we get in and face Boston. This win would be huge. Winning could carry us to where a miracle (in the 2nd round and beyond), like winning the Cup in the 100th year(random example ;)), can carry us all the way.

Ok no doom and gloom just reality. We will make the playoffs HOORAY?? if we had not underachieved in the last month we could have been in at least 5th place which would have given us a chance at moving forward in the playoffs.But no we struggled with the bottom feeders of our conference we could not beat teams with losing records. There is no reason to be pleased with making the playoffs at 8th place. Is anyone who watches hockey or not instutionalized actually thinking we are going to beat Boston?? Is Bob Gainey going to come to his senses and bench the hapless Price?? is Price going to play like an All Star player or should we find the guy from the All Star weekend shootout competition?? and are we going to have the ghost of Toe Blake come down and inspire our defence into playing something that resembles defence? Really folks I love the Canadiens always have and always will but reality is a bitter thing, if we win two agaist Boston it will be a big deal. Yes we have a very young team but we need a different aproach. Right now we look more like the Bulldogs than the Canadiens not good enough in our centenial year. It is going to be a LONG summer, lots of FA's lots of trades to make. Next year we should ask each player why do you want to be a Canadien? ask them in front of Beliveau Richard and LaFleur Bring in a new goalie coach! hey maybe pay Patrick Roy to talk to Price maybe he will listen to him, we really need a new defence coach Hey how about Larry Robinson? as far as head coach Bob you stepped in it you should have to live with it on more year. This is your team you should reap the benefits and downfalls of your hand picked crew.

Some players not to loose

laraque both kostistyns Lang

Pleks Schneider

laPierre markov

latrandesse Komi

Tanguay halak

Package the rest of the players and see if you can find some Canadian talent out there. Koivu to Minnesota for Brunette or Sheppard. Not Gaborik he is always BROKEN

Lets make beans and weinners out of the Bruins tonight :D

We have Weber tonight :D and my palm reader told me something that I had forgoten and needed to be reminded "HABS R WINNERS" and have the "BEST and GREATEST FAN"

GO HABS GO :D

Lets go into tonights game with r heads held high and r feet firmly planted :D . And let us not pray for a selfish win (like leaf fans would do), but pray for Markov cause he is a awesome guy and we sure do miss him. ( WE DON'T NEED TO PRAY FOR WINS,WHEN WE HAVE TALENT :rolleyes: . NOW YOU CAN SEE WHY ALL LEAFS FANS NEVER MISS A SUNDAY MORNING MEETING <_<:blink::o )

GO HABS GO :D

Shoot the puck on 5-on-5

Shoot the puck on PP

Shoot the puck on PK

From the point, from the circles, from the slot, from awkward angles, from centre ice, from our blueline (on goal to avoid icing) ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE AND EVERYONE!!!

Oh, and go for Chara's knees. Tall guys go down when you get 'em in the knees... :ph34r:

he's sure not a game braker but i'm curious to see what metro will do against his former team

fearless prediction: the rds guys will be beside themselves with interviews of bergeron and savard ... brunet will sing the praise of claude julien until every hab fan listening pukes their gut out :rolleyes:

my prediction and 4 cents on this fine sunny Habs VS Bruins morning

Habs 3 Bruins 1 (equals 4 tee hee)

The Habs won't lose tonight, they will be beyond hungry for this win ... I do pray to the hockey gods that the Habs finish 7th, I don't want a repeat of last years Round 1

Cheers, Kath #4

As I've pointed out before....I'm a Fan....not a cheerleader (I leave cheerleading for the Leaf Nation). [they've had 42 years of practice]

I've only been following this team since 1952 and NEVER, and I mean NEVER have I seen the management of this team, some of the following (usually called fans), and press keep such a blind eye out for a single player in my life. It's excuse, after excuse, after excuse, over a guy who has never proven anything in the NHL of consequence. Look people........ playing well over 20 games does not make a career.....it's called a streak....or some would call it a run of luck. Compare him to Mason of Columbus......not even close.

In the late 60's Rejane Houle & the Jr. Canadiens outdrew the Stanley Cup Canadiens and Houle was supposed to be part of the potenet offence for the 70's. What did Rejane Houle do in the NHL......he became a pop-gun scorer with above average defensive skills. He got benched, he was afforded little ice time when he sucked until he earned his place on the team. Yes, I used that dirty word....EARNED.

The last time Montreal had a real goaltender conflict was between Dryden & Tony Esposito (a guy who holds the modern day shut-out record) after Montreal traded him to Chicago. They kept Dryden....who knew the formula to winning. Had Montreal not traded Tony O.....Ken Dryden couldn't have held up the Habs for ransome when he sat out for a better contract for a season.....and perhaps Tony O would have his name engraved on the Cup instead.

I've seen volumes of excuses written for Price since Gainey made the mistake of bringing him up at the wrong time. That is BG's fault....not the team. Just like the dumb trade he made for Huet......2nd round to Washington....you actually believe he couldn't get a first round draft pick from another bottom feeder team...if not last year...maybe for this year. BG is Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over his head as a GM. And some of the fans are calling him out on that very fact.

BG said that Carbo was his best move...........somehow the fans last year deluded themselves into believing that our Habs ran away with the division last year......THEY DIDN't ....had Boston even won half of the games against Montreal last year...they'd be struggling to make 8th place. Their powerplay gave them 1st place....so what does BG do with that...BOOM!

What other brilllant move did BG make last year....he traded away the quarter back of the powerplay (Streit) who by the way led his team (Islanders) in scoring this year........a player who could play forward & defence & is younnger than Scneider......bad move after bad move after bad move. BG forced Carbo to play his "flop" (Golden boy) when he was stone cold & every other GM in the NHL would have benched him. The club fell in the standings like Ottawa did the year before.

BG had the same problem with Theodore........... after he signed him to a huge contract & the guy couldn't stop a beach-ball. When Julien wanted to play Huet....so the team could win......BG fired him and took over and led them out of the playoffs. What happened...he lost a very good coach & ended up having to get rid of a less than average goaltender he paid a mountain of money to.

It's nice to spend Mr. Gillette's money Bob...isn't it?

BG has a big issue in admitting when he's completely blown it & this team & it's following pay the PRICE.

People would call me a Price-hater...that's the last thing I am......I look for talent and when I don't see it.....I look for it elsewhere. Vince Lombardi said it all........winning isn't everything...it's the only thing. Anything else is for LOSERS.

When fans spend more time making excuses over players.....it's time for management to change the way it's done.

Somehow Carbo could not figure out how to put Kovy, Koviu & Tanguay together........some coach

Price's play in NY disqualified him from any of the rest of the games in the regular season. He has to fight himself into a job. The only reason Montreal is still in the playoff hunt is because Halak stood on his head during his streak of 4 wins until he got the Price Flu. He should be rewarded with ice time and if he stinks then play your back-up.

I'm a realist.....I'm a true fan....and I want my team to win......when I see players taking up space on the ice destroying the confidence of a team I stay bench the bum. Each player is supposed to play their position. Price on Tuesday...had no idea why he was there. Komi had to play goal.....that's not his job.

Go sit in the corner Carey....this is not kindergarden....this is the storied franchaise of the Montreal Canadiens. You are cashing a big fat pay cheque every two weeks that you do not earn.

Excuses is for LOSERS. .......& I've heard more excuses on your play than I've heard in 57 years following the team for any other player who wore the uniform..

Someone please name one other player who had no NHL past and a pretty awful playoff, and stank it up in the second half of the season who have been given so many undeserved chances to play.

BG has turned this from a team sport to BG's favorites only get to play.

My prediction...if Price is in nets......Boston 6 - Montreal 1

If Halak is in nets Boston 4 - Montreal 3 (OT)

Best post i have read in awhile!

Archived