The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Nhl Standings System

Escroft

If it's two things that irritate me most, it's the Standings.

One thing I don't like is the OTL and the Shootouts. It should either be ONE WIN / ONE LOSS, nothing else, or back to what it used to be, WIN LOSS or TIE, that's it. These extra points per game are severely crippling to the smaller market teams. Discuss??

--------------

Second thing I dislike is the fact that on one side of the Conference, it would take 93 points to get into the Playoffs, whereas on the other side, in this year's case, 90 looks to be the magic number. the West has teams that don't even deserve to be in there, and the East is full of talent and there's no chance of making it if you pass 92. In Florida's case, they'd be in 6th place in the West right now, but while teams have lesser points than Florida, it is THEY who are in the playoffs and Florida sits on the sidelines.

Maybe the conferences should be abolished and it goes to a 16 team tournament instead of two sides of 8? Discuss??

If it's two things that irritate me most, it's the Standings.

One thing I don't like is the OTL and the Shootouts. It should either be ONE WIN / ONE LOSS, nothing else, or back to what it used to be, WIN LOSS or TIE, that's it. These extra points per game are severely crippling to the smaller market teams. Discuss??

--------------

Second thing I dislike is the fact that on one side of the Conference, it would take 93 points to get into the Playoffs, whereas on the other side, in this year's case, 90 looks to be the magic number. the West has teams that don't even deserve to be in there, and the East is full of talent and there's no chance of making it if you pass 92. In Florida's case, they'd be in 6th place in the West right now, but while teams have lesser points than Florida, it is THEY who are in the playoffs and Florida sits on the sidelines.

Maybe the conferences should be abolished and it goes to a 16 team tournament instead of two sides of 8? Discuss??

Your first argument is fine until you mention the extra points per game is crippling to the smaller market teams which I'd love you to explain. It has the same impact on Atlanta and Nashville that it does on Montreal and Toronto.

As for your second argument, that's just the way it is in all 4 major North American sports leagues. In 2001-02 for example, Montreal made it to the playoffs with 87 points, that would have been good for 11th out West. I mean, it's just as likely to benefit you as it is to hurt you. I'd be interested to hear any other suggestions? No conferences or divisions, just 1 30 team league with the top 16 getting in?

Archived