The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Reason For Boston Rivalry?

Hi,

During the Allstargame I got a hint. You don't like Boston. They asked a Bostonplayer what he thought about the welcome "Nothing less then we expected".

Other other day, I realized I was wrong. You don't like like each other... I think hate is a better word, far from enough though. I need to swear. Last game against Boston, I counted to five major fights.

But what's the reason for this hate? As a Swede, living in Sweden I don't know all the details, the history behind. I just know that the series against Boston will be something special, but that for another (already existing) thread.

I just have to say I love you Habsfans. You're the best I've ever seen. I hope to come and visit you one day. No fans are like you. Especially not in Sweden. 8000 of you went to Detroit, that was something.

FanOfTheHabfans

i would say we really became hated enemies in the late 60's- 70's. boston had its most dominant teams ever, with bobby orr and a few other hall of famers. in all that time, setting offensive records and coming in first place in the regular season a bunch of times, they only won 2 cups. we kept beating them in the playoffs. then as the league expanded, we started meeting them in the playoffs all the time, and we have this amazing all time record against them. they can never seem to beat us. so they hate our guts, try to bully us and play us very rough, and we hate them right back for giving us such a hard time. the more you meet in the playoffs, the bigger the rivalry will be, and we just keep meeting in the playoffs. this series wll be a war, no matter what the outcome.

Thanks! I saw that. It was very clear last game. Crosschecking so the Bostonplayer in the goal, pushing, slap with the stick. The whole teams got involved.

This is things I would never understand. It's almost like a rule, if you're a Hab, then you need to hate Bruins. Media doing their part too I guess. They won't make the situation better... And for others outside America they just say "It's only hockey", but I see hockey as your national sport so for you it's deadly serious. I think Canadiens unite the whole city of Montreal, but how 8000 of you went 900 km to Detroit is something I don't know how it's possible. And it's probably be at least that in Boston. I just hope the rivalry won't bring out the hooligans.

FanOfTheHabfans

Back in the 70's (when the rivalry really began to stand out) these two were arguably the two best teams in history, and over the past hundred years Boston and Montreal have met 31 times in the playoffs, and Montreal has won 24 of those series. Traditionally Montreal is a faster and more skilled team, Boston usually has a lot of grit.

Recently it just makes them mad to see their players get walked around, undressed, and embarassed, so they resort to goon tactics. The team that always seems to win is the one that can remain aloof to the other one's intimidation and plays its own game. Whenever they try to match our speedy run and gun game they tend to get the worst of it. Whenever we try to match them in physicality and let ourselves be intimidated the Bruins win.

whenever you get great teams playing one another a lot, for high stakes games, you get rivalries. Look at Calgary-Edmonton.

The Montreal-boston rivalry is that - and then some - because we've been playing them for almost a century! We've had 31 playoff series' against them...id wager that more than half the teams in the NHL dont even have 31 playoff series - PERIOD - let along against another team in their history.

Its a deep, long rivalry & its always a good one ;)

Hell, the habs are now 100 years old and they faced the bruins 31 times (the coming one is the 32nd?) in the playoffs. That's about 1/3 of the time WITHOUT considering that the habs didn't make the playoffs every years since the league expanded.

Personally, i hardly consider it a rivalry. These 2 teams are more like Nemesis & Underdog. We just keep on sending back home!

Lemme see, there are several reasons this rivalry has been what it is:

1. relative proximity to each other geographically.

2. Original Six (matter of fact, even before then).

3. Howie Morenz vs Eddie Shore rivalry between the two best players of that era.

4. Everyone thinking the Bruins, the pre-war dominant team, would beat the Canadiens of the war era. Rocket Richard and company proved that false.

5. The greatest goal ever, Richard beating all six Bruins players singlehandedly after suffering a major concussion and a major cut on his forehead in the 1952 semis.

6. Hal Laycoe and linesman Cliff Thompson both jumping Richard, and Richard retaliating, leading to League President Clarence Campbell's suspension of Richard, triggering the Richard Riot.

7. The rise of Boston in the 70s, and the Canadiens unlikely defeat of them in the opening round in 1971.

8. The now classic too many men on the ice against Boston in 1979, leading to Lafleur tying it late in regulation, and Yvon Lambert winning it in overtime.

9. Boston finally winning in the late 80s and early 90s over the Habs.

10. Some Habs unlikely victories over them during this decade, and winning over them last year as the favorites.

Those are 10 reasons why there is bad blood between these teams even though for the most part it has been one-sided.

Or the obvious reason, Bruins fans are idiots.

I can't help but laugh when i hear stuff like this "oh yeah we got Chara and he's having a good year, were winning the cup this year" lol

They had Ray Bourque for 20 years and never won nothing.

Poor guy he had to move out of there to win a cup lol.

we have this amazing all time record against them. they can never seem to beat us.

Personally, i hardly consider it a rivalry. These 2 teams are more like Nemesis & Underdog. We just keep on sending back home!

True prior to 1988. More often than not we've been ***** slapped at playoff time since then.

My grandfather was Bill Coutu aka "beaver" and even "wild Bill" and played for le Club de Hockey in the 1920's. There were skilled players on the team then, like Lalonde, Morenz, Joliat, Vezina etc. And those Habs were sometimes not treated with a great deal of respect in the other teams' rinks, especially Boston Arena(Boston Garden by 1928). My grandfather's role was to sometimes remind the opposing team to treat more skilled players with respect. The rivalry began a long time ago, in the "roaring 20's"

My grandfather was Bill Coutu aka "beaver" and even "wild Bill" and played for le Club de Hockey in the 1920's. There were skilled players on the team then, like Lalonde, Morenz, Joliat, Vezina etc. And those Habs were sometimes not treated with a great deal of respect in the other teams' rinks, especially Boston Arena(Boston Garden by 1928). My grandfather's role was to sometimes remind the opposing team to treat more skilled players with respect. The rivalry began a long time ago, in the "roaring 20's"

Those players should've been treated with respect and their success was well deserved. However, this may be the reason the respect was lost and the hatred started and tainted our 12 cups from 1936 to 1969. http://www.liam.ca/ed20040319.html

Archived