The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Team Report Card

whalerfan

C+.......36 Matt D'Agostini - Is young and has the potential to be a very good player. Perhaps the pressure of playing in Montreal may overshadow that. He does need work though

D-........21 Christopher Higgins - I understand he was injured but a dissappointing season none the less . Lacking in heart and desire this year

B-........11 Saku Koivu "C" - Is he able to actually lead this team. Is he vocal enough in the lockeroom. Can he unite a team that isn't really a team. My impression is "NO"

D-.......46 Andrei Kostitsyn - A huge failure this year and his time could be up on this team

D-.......74 Sergei Kostitsyn - A huge failure this year and his time could be up on this team, too many distractions this year also

B+........6 Tom Kostopoulos- May not be the most talented but at least he plays with heart

C-.......27 Alex Kovalev "A" - Where was he this year? Does he care enough about this team. He seemed to have to try to one man it quite often . He needs to comeback but with a desire to help lead this team and help the youngsters.

B+.......20 Robert Lang - When he did play , he played hard and with a desire to win.

A-........40 Maxim Lapierre- Doesn't have the deepest talent level on this team but his desire to improve, his team play and the way he plays his heart out . He gets an "A"

D.........17 Georges Laraque- It's good to have the tough guy but he needs to improve his skating ability, right now he is a liability on the ice

C+......84 Guillaume Latendresse - Needs to follow Maxim's example and up his intensity

B+......15 Glen Metropolit - A solid player and up'd his performance in the playoffs ( one of the few)

C+......14 Tomas Plekanec - a streaky player. Who I wish could find the net more. In position to shoot and gets the shot but most likely the shot is wide of the net.

C-.......70 Gregory Stewart - Again a great asset for a tough guy but needs to improve on his skills and his judgment

B-.......13 Alex Tanguay - A veteran player the team needs to stay healthy and help the youngsters

C-......51 Francis Bouillon- The jury is still out on this one. Does have the talent level, at times but most of the time ....no

C-......71 Patrice Brisebois- Just another part of this aging defense

D-......25 Mathieu Dandenault - Again another cog in the wheel of this aging defense

B+.....26 Josh Gorges - Has the potential to be a very good defensemen. Besides the occasional mistake , he played solid this year

C-......44 Roman Hamrlik- I like him and I don't like him. Makes mistakes that a veteran player shouldn't make anymore but was one of our better D men this year

D+......8 Mike Komisarek "A" - A complete opposite of last season. What happened ...who the hell knows. He needs to find his groove again. He can't afford another down year like this one

A-.....79 Andrei Markov- One of the few "A's" this team will get. A solid year. He is a player that can play in every situation. Plays with confidence and has great vision on the ice.

D-......3 Ryan O'Byrne- A young player that made plenty of mistakes that many young players do. The only thig with him is that I don't remember him doing anything great.

B+.....24 Mathieu Schneider - Came in to help a team that was sinking. He did his job and he did well but his age is a factor.

B+.....68 Yannick Weber - Has the potential to be a great player. Needs to be slowly molded into what the habs need. Has a great shot and could be our powerplay quarterback one day.

B-..... 41 Jaroslav Halak - For the MOST part when he called upon he played well ( a few off games) but won quite a few games on his own for the team. Those few games may have been the only reason we even made the playoffs.

C-......31 Carey Price - Not the year I expected for Price. I understand his age BUT something has happened to this goalie and it needs to be fixed immediatley. He can be a great but the pressure of Montreal may ruin him. By the way the majority of the playoff goals blew by his blocker side.

C-......Gainey.....Did he lose his touch? Did he do the best he could with the talent he had? He needs to do alot of work this summer..ALOT and he needs to find a coach. A coach that wants only whats best for Montreal and for Montreal to be a winner. Maybe an outsider that says to hell with the media.

D-.......THE TEAM.....this team is not a team. Anyone could see the there was no teamwork, no working together. At time they didn't even stand up for each other. There were too many passes to no one. Too many time you could see no desire in the players eyes. Too many times the players seemed to be skating in cement. No leadership, no desire, perhaps too many players that aren't actually friends.

A very accurate report to say the least. Price needs someone to tutor him from the scrap heap and I do believe Melanson is to blame, somewhat, for Price's demise. The goalie I saw during junior and the world junior's is vastly different from the goalie I see now. The mental aspect is something that can be tutored from someone that has played before and thats why I think a veteran goalie like Kolzig is important. After all, the kid is still a kid and the pressure of playing in Montreal is immense. As for the technical aspect this is where it becomes most challenging and extremely vital. I know I have said this before but we need someone like Allaire to work with Price and we need it in a hurry before he is ruined forever..

C+.......36 Matt D'Agostini - Is young and has the potential to be a very good player. Perhaps the pressure of playing in Montreal may overshadow that. He does need work though

D-........21 Christopher Higgins - I understand he was injured but a dissappointing season none the less . Lacking in heart and desire this year

B-........11 Saku Koivu "C" - Is he able to actually lead this team. Is he vocal enough in the lockeroom. Can he unite a team that isn't really a team. My impression is "NO"

D-.......46 Andrei Kostitsyn - A huge failure this year and his time could be up on this team

D-.......74 Sergei Kostitsyn - A huge failure this year and his time could be up on this team, too many distractions this year also

B+........6 Tom Kostopoulos- May not be the most talented but at least he plays with heart

C-.......27 Alex Kovalev "A" - Where was he this year? Does he care enough about this team. He seemed to have to try to one man it quite often . He needs to comeback but with a desire to help lead this team and help the youngsters.

B+.......20 Robert Lang - When he did play , he played hard and with a desire to win.

A-........40 Maxim Lapierre- Doesn't have the deepest talent level on this team but his desire to improve, his team play and the way he plays his heart out . He gets an "A"

D.........17 Georges Laraque- It's good to have the tough guy but he needs to improve his skating ability, right now he is a liability on the ice

C+......84 Guillaume Latendresse - Needs to follow Maxim's example and up his intensity

B+......15 Glen Metropolit - A solid player and up'd his performance in the playoffs ( one of the few)

C+......14 Tomas Plekanec - a streaky player. Who I wish could find the net more. In position to shoot and gets the shot but most likely the shot is wide of the net.

C-.......70 Gregory Stewart - Again a great asset for a tough guy but needs to improve on his skills and his judgment

B-.......13 Alex Tanguay - A veteran player the team needs to stay healthy and help the youngsters

C-......51 Francis Bouillon- The jury is still out on this one. Does have the talent level, at times but most of the time ....no

C-......71 Patrice Brisebois- Just another part of this aging defense

D-......25 Mathieu Dandenault - Again another cog in the wheel of this aging defense

B+.....26 Josh Gorges - Has the potential to be a very good defensemen. Besides the occasional mistake , he played solid this year

C-......44 Roman Hamrlik- I like him and I don't like him. Makes mistakes that a veteran player shouldn't make anymore but was one of our better D men this year

D+......8 Mike Komisarek "A" - A complete opposite of last season. What happened ...who the hell knows. He needs to find his groove again. He can't afford another down year like this one

A-.....79 Andrei Markov- One of the few "A's" this team will get. A solid year. He is a player that can play in every situation. Plays with confidence and has great vision on the ice.

D-......3 Ryan O'Byrne- A young player that made plenty of mistakes that many young players do. The only thig with him is that I don't remember him doing anything great.

B+.....24 Mathieu Schneider - Came in to help a team that was sinking. He did his job and he did well but his age is a factor.

B+.....68 Yannick Weber - Has the potential to be a great player. Needs to be slowly molded into what the habs need. Has a great shot and could be our powerplay quarterback one day.

B-..... 41 Jaroslav Halak - For the MOST part when he called upon he played well ( a few off games) but won quite a few games on his own for the team. Those few games may have been the only reason we even made the playoffs.

C-......31 Carey Price - Not the year I expected for Price. I understand his age BUT something has happened to this goalie and it needs to be fixed immediatley. He can be a great but the pressure of Montreal may ruin him. By the way the majority of the playoff goals blew by his blocker side.

C-......Gainey.....Did he lose his touch? Did he do the best he could with the talent he had? He needs to do alot of work this summer..ALOT and he needs to find a coach. A coach that wants only whats best for Montreal and for Montreal to be a winner. Maybe an outsider that says to hell with the media.

D-.......THE TEAM.....this team is not a team. Anyone could see the there was no teamwork, no working together. At time they didn't even stand up for each other. There were too many passes to no one. Too many time you could see no desire in the players eyes. Too many times the players seemed to be skating in cement. No leadership, no desire, perhaps too many players that aren't actually friends.

i love how kovalev and higgins get ds all they did was score 80% of our goals in playoffs, look higgins is a 3rd liner it wasnt his fault the coaches cant figure it out, to say he has no heart and hustle is flat out wrong, he gives his all. koivu should get anf he is the worst #1 center in the nhl, he might be the best#2 ctr but he gets outplayed everygame

Bob Gainey is not responsible for this debacle. You may recall that 7 months ago virtually everybody in the hockey world, from professionals to amateurs, predicted the Canadiens would go to the Stanley Cup Finals. Does anybody think that just happened by accident?

That happened because someone built that team. Gainey improved the team in the off-season, at least on paper. He let Ryder and Streit leave but he replaced him with players who could more than make up for their production and he added some toughness.

If hockey were played on paper the Canadiens should have cleaned up this year.

Then things beyond the control of the GM popped up.

Injuries: It is ironic that the three big acquitions that Gainey made in the last off season missed significant parts of the season. Tanguay missed a quarter of the season, Lang half, and Laraque three-quarters. In other words all of the off-season improvement went for naught. As well, many of these injuries came in bunches. It was not a player here or there it was a group of players.

Players did not play up to their potential: Whose kidding who. Most of this team had sub-par seasons and I am being generous. The GM can put the players on the ice but it is up to the players to perform at their best. In the NHL, where players have guaranteed contracts there is very little the GM or coach can do to make a player truly accountable.

Goaltending: How can a goaltender who began the season looking like the second coming of Patrick Roy end the season looking like the second coming of Red Light Racicot? I do not know what happened during the season to cause that to happen but for the last two-and-a-half months of the season Carey Price looked like a junior goaltender. I hope that he can find his game again over the summer because if he does not he has a very short future in the NHL.

Halak played well as a backup. I believe he does have a future as a No.1 goaltender.

Defence: The only defenceman that really did his job superbly this year was Markov. If he is not a finalist for the Norris trophy this year there is no justice in the NHL. He did it all. He was air tight in his own end. His first pass was almost always a good one and he could score goals and set up others.

Josh Gorges played well. He is rounding into a good defenceman. Brisebois played well. He was not flashy but he was solid most nights he played.

Komisarek had a real let down season, which is surprising considering he is looking at UFA this summer. If he is looking for a big payoff this summer he might be disappointed. With his lack lustre play and the salary cap probably heading to the mid-40 million range over the next two years there may not be as many teams interested in taking the risk on him as he would hope.

The rest were not spectacular and failed to step up during the season when it was required of them.

Forwards: Andrei Kostistyn never mentally recovered from his concussion in the fall. Before that he skated with reckless abandon going into the corners and finding the open ice. After he returned he was much more timid and that timidity never went away. If he is unable to overcome the fear that his concussion placed into his psyche his time in the NHL is limited.

Saku Koivu's life would be a great story for an after school special. However, he is not Captain material. A Captain is one that should be prepared to carry the team on its back when they are down. Although I hate to use the Laffs as an example, Mats Sundin is a great example of what a captain should do. Regardless of what the rest of the team was doing he competed every night. He showed his team what it took to win and he was often rewarded despite the lack of talent on the teams he played with. Imagine if the Canadiens would have had a Captain like that with the talent they had this season. We never saw that from Koivu. Whenever the team was down he joined them. He did not redouble his efforts to attempt to lead them out of their funk, which is part of the job description of a team captain. It would be unfair to take the C away from Koivu so it might be best just to let him go this off-season to a team that will contend. Something the Canadiens will not do for awhile.

Kovalev: In ten years I only think he showed up for an entire season for three of those ten years. The rest he took long periods off during the season. When he is engaged he is one the most dangerous players in the game. He is a difference maker. When he is not engaged he is just a liability. Mr. Kovalev spent way too much time being a liability this season.

Lapierre is the only forward that improved from last season. The rest regressed or at least failed to improve.

Bob Gainey built a team that finished first in their conference last year and he managed to keep most of that team intact for this year, with marked improvements in size, skill and toughness. The fact that the team failed to repeat this feat this year is mainly caused by the fact that those player did not play as well this year as they did last year. It will be up to those players, and not Bob Gainey, to do the necessary soul searching this off-season to figure out why they did not play well this year.

People those are my opinions....feel free to post your opinions on the players but if knocking my "opinion" down makes you feel better then go for it but it's pretty pathetic if you ask me. Want to know why I came up with those conclusions then ask. By the way, I didn't give Kovy a "D", I gave him a "C" and his grade wasn't higher because of what he should be capable of.....ok, for all the "little" people out there.....feel free to attack this post also.

By the way , a report card grade isn't based on comparisons to other people but an individual grade based on their OWN performance and what they are capable of. SO YEAH, a lower grade for someone who was expected and should have contributed much more than they did......it's not rocket science people.

Bob Gainey is not responsible for this debacle. You may recall that 7 months ago virtually everybody in the hockey world, from professionals to amateurs, predicted the Canadiens would go to the Stanley Cup Finals. Does anybody think that just happened by accident?

That happened because someone built that team. Gainey improved the team in the off-season, at least on paper. He let Ryder and Streit leave but he replaced him with players who could more than make up for their production and he added some toughness.

If hockey were played on paper the Canadiens should have cleaned up this year.

Then things beyond the control of the GM popped up.

Injuries: It is ironic that the three big acquitions that Gainey made in the last off season missed significant parts of the season. Tanguay missed a quarter of the season, Lang half, and Laraque three-quarters. In other words all of the off-season improvement went for naught. As well, many of these injuries came in bunches. It was not a player here or there it was a group of players.

Players did not play up to their potential: Whose kidding who. Most of this team had sub-par seasons and I am being generous. The GM can put the players on the ice but it is up to the players to perform at their best. In the NHL, where players have guaranteed contracts there is very little the GM or coach can do to make a player truly accountable.

Goaltending: How can a goaltender who began the season looking like the second coming of Patrick Roy end the season looking like the second coming of Red Light Racicot? I do not know what happened during the season to cause that to happen but for the last two-and-a-half months of the season Carey Price looked like a junior goaltender. I hope that he can find his game again over the summer because if he does not he has a very short future in the NHL.

Halak played well as a backup. I believe he does have a future as a No.1 goaltender.

Defence: The only defenceman that really did his job superbly this year was Markov. If he is not a finalist for the Norris trophy this year there is no justice in the NHL. He did it all. He was air tight in his own end. His first pass was almost always a good one and he could score goals and set up others.

Josh Gorges played well. He is rounding into a good defenceman. Brisebois played well. He was not flashy but he was solid most nights he played.

Komisarek had a real let down season, which is surprising considering he is looking at UFA this summer. If he is looking for a big payoff this summer he might be disappointed. With his lack lustre play and the salary cap probably heading to the mid-40 million range over the next two years there may not be as many teams interested in taking the risk on him as he would hope.

The rest were not spectacular and failed to step up during the season when it was required of them.

Forwards: Andrei Kostistyn never mentally recovered from his concussion in the fall. Before that he skated with reckless abandon going into the corners and finding the open ice. After he returned he was much more timid and that timidity never went away. If he is unable to overcome the fear that his concussion placed into his psyche his time in the NHL is limited.

Saku Koivu's life would be a great story for an after school special. However, he is not Captain material. A Captain is one that should be prepared to carry the team on its back when they are down. Although I hate to use the Laffs as an example, Mats Sundin is a great example of what a captain should do. Regardless of what the rest of the team was doing he competed every night. He showed his team what it took to win and he was often rewarded despite the lack of talent on the teams he played with. Imagine if the Canadiens would have had a Captain like that with the talent they had this season. We never saw that from Koivu. Whenever the team was down he joined them. He did not redouble his efforts to attempt to lead them out of their funk, which is part of the job description of a team captain. It would be unfair to take the C away from Koivu so it might be best just to let him go this off-season to a team that will contend. Something the Canadiens will not do for awhile.

Kovalev: In ten years I only think he showed up for an entire season for three of those ten years. The rest he took long periods off during the season. When he is engaged he is one the most dangerous players in the game. He is a difference maker. When he is not engaged he is just a liability. Mr. Kovalev spent way too much time being a liability this season.

Lapierre is the only forward that improved from last season. The rest regressed or at least failed to improve.

Bob Gainey built a team that finished first in their conference last year and he managed to keep most of that team intact for this year, with marked improvements in size, skill and toughness. The fact that the team failed to repeat this feat this year is mainly caused by the fact that those player did not play as well this year as they did last year. It will be up to those players, and not Bob Gainey, to do the necessary soul searching this off-season to figure out why they did not play well this year.

Well, we pretty much agree and your post is dead on.....(pssssstttt....... but according to everyone else, we're idiots......LOL)

People those are my opinions....feel free to post your opinions on the players but if knocking my "opinion" down makes you feel better then go for it but it's pretty pathetic if you ask me. Want to know why I came up with those conclusions then ask. By the way, I didn't give Kovy a "D", I gave him a "C" and his grade wasn't higher because of what he should be capable of.....ok, for all the "little" people out there.....feel free to attack this post also.

By the way , a report card grade isn't based on comparisons to other people but an individual grade based on their OWN performance and what they are capable of. SO YEAH, a lower grade for someone who was expected and should have contributed much more than they did......it's not rocket science people.

I'm curious... what school did you go to that they give you grades based on what you're capable of?

LOL, apparently it is for a lot of people, because if you strip away absurd expectations, Kovalev had a solid year at 65 points, WHICH IS RIGHT AROUND HIS CAREER AVERAGE. I don't know how many times this has to get posted before people realize that Kovalev has been great value for his contract during his time as a Hab. His PPG has gone up and he has led the team in scoring three out of the past four years. You expected more from him? Well, your expectation was unrealistic. The 2007-08 season was the second-best of Kovy's career; anyone who knows anything about his career knows that. Yet everyone expects him at age 36 to wave a magic wand and put up 85 points on a train-wreck of a team with personnel, coaching, GM, and off-ice issues. It's beyond silly.

You're right in one sense, though. It's not rocket science to understand that Kovalev has been a great contributor to the Habs the past four years, once you start analyzing the situation level-headedly, without being swayed by media rhetoric and hyperbole.

I'm curious... what school did you go to that they give you grades based on what you're capable of?

I see you two aren't going to stop anytime soon ( kind of expected another post from you SF).....this isn't school though is it. So are you telling me that come next september Bob doesn't have expectations from certian people based on what they are capable of? I understand Kovalev contributed to the team and at times he was awesome and at times he was invisible. ONCE AGAIN, these are my opinions. My grade wasn't just based on point production, its more than just stats.

I don't mind having a debate but there is no right or wrong here. It's an opinion I have and thats that. Want to have a debate , fine but to actually have an intelligent debate doesn't begin with ridiculing the other person's opinion.

AGAIN, my opinion wasn't just based on point production. It was based on the overall play of that player. Intensity level, desire, teamwork etc. I realize I am not with this team in the lockeroom and I don't know the inner workings but it was based on the impressions I got after watching 80 plus games this year.

I see you two aren't going to stop anytime soon ( kind of expected another post from you SF).....this isn't school though is it. So are you telling me that come next september Bob doesn't have expectations from certian people based on what they are capable of? I understand Kovalev contributed to the team and at times he was awesome and at times he was invisible. ONCE AGAIN, these are my opinions. My grade wasn't just based on point production, its more than just stats.

Don't want to be criticized? Don't post your opinoins on a public forum.

I'm not going to bother continuing this debate because you obviously don't get the difference between contirbution and expectations and which of the two actually matter.

By the way I do fully understand the difference between expectations and contributions. AGAIN, it wasn't just based on point production. Heres a thought. You post what grades you think the players should have and then spend the rest of the evening defending your opinion when I debate every grade you gave each and every player.....Wow, posting is so much fun here.

I stopped after our 2nd highest goal scorer got a D- and our 3rd line center was a A-.

To be fair, Andrei was a disaster even if he was our second best scorer. That only proves how bad a season we really had.

That said, I am tired of the excuses for Gainey. How can anyone reasonably believe he is a good GM when after following his beloved five year plan, we are in a worse position than we were prior to him ever coming here? Forget last season, it is over and done with, this season we were awful in every conceivable definition of the word. Each one of our players regressed to half the players they were previously, some falling off the wagon completely. You can blame injuries all you want however how does this explain Plekanec, Komisarek, both Kostitsyns and all those who had no injury excuses to use? Simply put Gainey had a plan and it was a failure. If he was not a former Canadiens legend, he would have long since been fired.

As for Sake Koivu, good lord, what does this man have to do to prove himself to this city? Not every captain in the league has to be the best player on the bloody roster. Koivu has bend over backwards to motivate and rally the Canadiens despite down right embarrassing performances from some of the players. Hell even in this horrendous playoff run, he set up three of the seven/eight goals we actually managed to score. I really hope he leaves this franchise and Montreal learns just how valuable he was when he does precisely what Ryder just did to us. He might not score like Ryder, however you can be certain he could rally a team to slaughter Montreal.

Koivu is a player who this organization owes much too and to constantly question his ability to captain the team is a insult to the CH, to the players and to the Montreal Canadiens as a whole.

To be fair, Andrei was a disaster even if he was our second best scorer. That only proves how bad a season we really had.

That said, I am tired of the excuses for Gainey. How can anyone reasonably believe he is a good GM when after following his beloved five year plan, we are in a worse position than we were prior to him ever coming here? Forget last season, it is over and done with, this season we were awful in every conceivable definition of the word. Each one of our players regressed to half the players they were previously, some falling off the wagon completely. You can blame injuries all you want however how does this explain Plekanec, Komisarek, both Kostitsyns and all those who had no injury excuses to use? Simply put Gainey had a plan and it was a failure. If he was not a former Canadiens legend, he would have long since been fired.

As for Sake Koivu, good lord, what does this man have to do to prove himself to this city? Not every captain in the league has to be the best player on the bloody roster. Koivu has bend over backwards to motivate and rally the Canadiens despite down right embarrassing performances from some of the players. Hell even in this horrendous playoff run, he set up three of the seven/eight goals we actually managed to score. I really hope he leaves this franchise and Montreal learns just how valuable he was when he does precisely what Ryder just did to us. He might not score like Ryder, however you can be certain he could rally a team to slaughter Montreal.

Koivu is a player who this organization owes much too and to constantly question his ability to captain the team is a insult to the CH, to the players and to the Montreal Canadiens as a whole.

I respect Saku , BIG time. Don't want him to go anywhere either.....I just want to see him pumped up a little, maybe a little more vocal on the bench. Maybe he is but again this is just based on what I see. Just need that player to step up in the lockeroom and bring this team together....not sure if he can do it.

To quote myself, you know who is looking for a good playmaking centre? Columbus. I have little doubt they would love to have Koivu centre Rick Nash and we would live to regret it; then again the is the story of this franchise's life. We live to regret everything we do when it comes to ignoring players or does Streit and Ryder not ring any bells?

Don't want to be criticized? Don't post your opinoins on a public forum.

I'm not going to bother continuing this debate because you obviously don't get the difference between contirbution and expectations and which of the two actually matter.

Grades should be based on the role not the overall performance.

The idea for grades comes from school where different people take different classes.

Below are my attempts at grading the players. I bolded the A's and the F's.

C+.......36 Matt D'Agostini - Good start, then disappeared. He's got a lot of work to do if he wants a long NHL career, but he does have his ***** in the door.

B- ........21 Christopher Higgins - Had a terrible season for the most part, and then started to redeem himself with exemplary work once on the checking line. The B- is chosen as it is the average between A- and C-.

C+ ........11 Saku Koivu "C" - Produced, but not consistently, and it's obvious he needs to work on his cardio. Worst playoff performance of his career I think.

B-.......46 Andrei Kostitsyn - Didn't meet expectations, but had to deal with a major concussion early on.

N/A.......74 Sergei Kostitsyn - Can't grade this one as I find it impossible to properly evaluate him due to the bizarre musical chairs.

C+........6 Tom Kostopoulos- Loses fights, bad on defense, he tries hard, but he doesn't have the goods.

B+.......27 Alex Kovalev "A" - Good season overall.

A .......20 Robert Lang - Way above expectations, was the only motor going well for a while, helped a few players out of slumps.

A-........40 Maxim Lapierre- Massive improvements in fitness showed, somewhat inconsistent.

D-.........17 Georges Laraque- He has the ability to be an elite enforcer who puts up 15 points to boot, and he didn't come close to either role. He does better than an F due to his playoff performance.

B+......84 Guillaume Latendresse - Same as Lapierre.

C+......15 Glen Metropolit - Pointless acquisition.

C+......14 Tomas Plekanec -

B.......70 Gregory Stewart - Fulfilled his role. Needs to work on his hockey skills as he doesn't have the size to have a career off goonship alone. Like D'Agostini his ***** is in the door.

C.......13 Alex Tanguay - On fire at times, mostly either injured or invisible.

F......51 Francis Bouillon- I see no positives.

C ......71 Patrice Brisebois- Held the fort at times, but way past his best before date.

N/A......25 Mathieu Dandenault - same as Sergei Kostitsyn.

C+.....26 Josh Gorges - Hot start, excelled on Markov's side, and then had a second half breakdown continued into the playoffs.

C......44 Roman Hamrlik- 30 points is nice, but the defensive skills were not up to par.

D......8 Mike Komisarek "A" - Disappointing season.

A .....79 Andrei Markov- Our MVP. He'll compete for the Norris one day, when he has a solid partner.

N/A......3 Ryan O'Byrne- Same as Kostitsyn and Dandeneault.

A+.....24 Mathieu Schneider - One role only, patch up the power play. He fulfilled it perfectly.

A++.....68 Yannick Weber - With a goal and an assist he was tied with Higgins for second most productive hab offensively in the playoffs. A good start to a career, if the habs remain dysfunctional I hope they quarantine him in Hamilton.

A-..... 41 Jaroslav Halak - MVP runner up. He went way beyond expectations. .915 SV% in front of a weak defense, and stole some games.

C......31 Carey Price - Good 1st half, and then a breakdown, like his friend Josh Gorges.

No argument that the team regressed big time, in every position. So, who is responsible for that? Is it the expectations of the fans that the GM be able to predict how his players will play before a season starts? Do we expect him to look at each player and say, "he is going to be good, he is going to be terrible"?

You said it yourself. You name a bunch of players who lead this team last year who "fell off the wagon" this year. How is their playing so poorly the responsibilty of the GM? It is not. The responsibility for this season rests solely on the shoulders of the PLAYERS on this team. They were the ones who e-mailed in the final half of the season and the Boston playoff series.

If Montreal fans want to make Bob Gainey a scapegoat for that then by all means do so. Then watch as Bob Gainey is snapped up by another team and he creates a Stanley Cup champion out of them, probably by stealing some of the assets the Canadiens have as he takes advantage of the pressure a new GM will be placed under.

The final note on this. Hockey teams rarely go in straight lines. This team improved every year under Bob Gainey and then suffered a setback. To ignore the first four years of his GMship and focus solely on this last season is short term thinking in the extreme and that kind of thinking is almost always counterproductive going forward. But it is also the kind of thinking I have come to expect from Montreal fans, which might be a contributing factor as to why the Canadiens have not even had a sniff at the Cup since 1993 and probably will not come close again for some time to come.

As for Saku Koivu, I do not expect him to be the best player on the ice every night. However, I do expect him to be the best player when the team is in a slump. It is through leadership that teams get out of slumps. There are many leaders on the team but they take their cue from the Captain. It is during slumps when it is most important for the captain of the team to step up. Saku Koivu has not done that for at least the last five years. Whenever the rest of the team plays poorly he plays poorly as well.

I would like to see him stay but I would like to see someone else wear the C. Unfortunately, I do not believe the two can happen at the same time. As well, I do not believe the Canadiens will contend for a Cup for at least another 2 years (if they are lucky) so if he wants to win one before he retires he will probably have to go elsewhere.

Dagostini - D

Higgins - C (Injury)

Koivu - B

Tanguay - B (Injury)

A Kostitsyn - F

Lang - A (Injury)

S Kostitsyn - F

Kostopolous - D

Kovalev - A

Lapierre - B

Laraque - F

Latendresse - C (Injury)

Plekanec - D

Bouillon - D (Injury)

Brisebois - C

Dandenault - C (Injury)

Gorges - B

Hamrlik - D

Komisarek - F (Injury)

Markov - A

Schneider - B (Injury)

Price - C (Injury)

Halak - B

Saku Koivu (Captain): B+

Alexei Kovalev (Assistant captain): A-

Chris Higgins (Assistant captain): B-

Mike Komisarek (Assistant captain): C-

Andrei Markov: A+

Tomas Plekanec: C-

Andrei Kostitsyn: B-

Sergei Kostitsyn: C

Tom Kostopoulos: A-

Carey Price: C+

Jaroslav Halak: B

Roman Hamrlik: C+

Josh Gorges: A-

Ryan O'Byrne: C-

Guillaume Latendresse: A

Maxim Lapierre: A

Georges Laraque: D+

Max Pacioretty: B

Gregory Stewart: B-

Patrice Brisebois: B

Yannick Weber: B+

Robert Lang: A

Matt D'agostini: C+

Alex Tanguay: B-

Glen Metropolit: B-

Mathieu Schneider: A-

Francis Bouillon: C+

Mathieu Dandenault: B

By the way I do fully understand the difference between expectations and contributions. AGAIN, it wasn't just based on point production. Heres a thought. You post what grades you think the players should have and then spend the rest of the evening defending your opinion when I debate every grade you gave each and every player.....Wow, posting is so much fun here.

Hey whaler - sometimes a 'personal opinion' is not good unless your opinion reflects someone elses! Funny I know - but that's they way it goes around here. I guess many have to look up the meaning of 'opinion' in the dictionary.

With that said - your rating wasn't that bad at all. Of course if I would of voiced - my 'opinion' it may of been a little different but I think you got it on track - so well done.

Somewhere in the rating system (or if I would of made one) - I may of included something like ' if you were expected to score 20+ goals and didn't - you failed'. Because I think one of the biggest problems we had this year was exactly that. We had only 3 20 goal scorers on the team. How much success can a team have and how far can they go with only that?

My grades - not in their roles but in their ability to be an impact player.

Saku Koivu B

Alexei Kovalev B+

Chris Higgins B

Mike Komisarek B-

Andrei Markov: A-

Tomas Plekanec: C-

Andrei Kostitsyn: B-

Sergei Kostitsyn: D

Tom Kostopoulos: C+

Carey Price: C

Jaroslav Halak: C-

Roman Hamrlik: C-

Josh Gorges: B

Ryan O'Byrne: D

Guillaume Latendresse: C-

Maxim Lapierre: B

Georges Laraque: C-

Max Pacioretty: D

Gregory Stewart: D

Patrice Brisebois: F

Yannick Weber: D

Robert Lang: B-

Matt D'agostini: C-

Alex Tanguay: B

Glen Metropolit: C-

Mathieu Schneider: B-

Francis Bouillon: C-

Mathieu Dandenault: C

Jenniferrocket, I hope you don't mind but I copied and pasted your format, just changed the grades. Thanks,

Archived