The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Embarrassed To Be A Habs Fan? I Am!

lphardy

Well this is my first and only post on these forums so far and I've been a member for 2 years now. Always found these forums to dish out interesting topics to read while I was at school.

My reasons for posting today though are of disdain disgust and disappointment. And I am not referring to the performance of our players but to disrespect and childish behavior of the habs fans during game four. It was to me the most humiliating and embarrassing moment to be a habs fan and I've been watching them since I was 8.

First let me say that St Louis, 6th seed in their conference, got swept by Vancouver just the other day. At the end of the game I was waiting for the boo's and the humiliating chants but when they didn't happen and the team got a respectful ovation to end the season I remembered I wasn't watching a habs game. And furthermore none of them threw things on the ice once the game was over.

Watch for yourselves http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?hlg=200...74&fr=false

Furthermore their goalie let in a few soft goals, including the one that got them eliminated but he didn't take any slack for it given that the team scored only 5 goals total to back him up. How many did we score? 6.

In addition to that their team wasn't suffering from injuries to many key players and ours was.

On top of it all they were playing against the 3rd seeded team in their conference. We, on the other hand, were playing the hottest team in the league, the favorite to most likely win the cup besides Detroit.

I'm not making excuses for losing. Losing is unacceptable but it is inevitable sometimes all we can do is take it with some humility and look towards the next season so as not to make the same mistakes again.

Good fans make the team try hard and feel comfortable playing home games. Our guys needed our support and we let them down big time. No wonder good players don't want to sign with us. After that I don't see how any habs player on the ice that night would want to play for us.

Go habs go.

Like I have mentioned before Hab fans are too intelligent for their own good. While I would by no means be booing Carey Price but I think it was a culmination of feelings for the sad state of affairs this season. Something is wrong with Price, as I mentioned before. Technically, he is no where near the goalie he was in juniors. Mentally speaking, he is shattered and I am not surprised whatsoever. Montreal is an extremely difficult place to play and especially for an up and coming young kid like Carey. I think what Hab fans are most upset about this season is the lacklustre approach by the organization as whole, stemming from management down to the players. What we really, really want is an honest effort and honestly even the most inexperienced hockey fan could point out that this team looked out of touch for a long time and looked like they didnt care. Just my opinion...

Like I have mentioned before Hab fans are too intelligent for their own good. While I would by no means be booing Carey Price but I think it was a culmination of feelings for the sad state of affairs this season. Something is wrong with Price, as I mentioned before. Technically, he is no where near the goalie he was in juniors. Mentally speaking, he is shattered and I am not surprised whatsoever. Montreal is an extremely difficult place to play and especially for an up and coming young kid like Carey. I think what Hab fans are most upset about this season is the lacklustre approach by the organization as whole, stemming from management down to the players. What we really, really want is an honest effort and honestly even the most inexperienced hockey fan could point out that this team looked out of touch for a long time and looked like they didnt care. Just my opinion...

+1

Take St. Louis for example. Did anyone, including their fans complain they were swept by Vancouver? No, they received a standing ovasion because frankly it was a "the next one wins it" type series. St. Louis was in every single game, battling, struggling and pushing Vancouver hard, yet the bounces simply did not come their way. Now you have Montreal who essentially played like they just did not give a damn anymore and had not in months. There were the exceptions such as Koivu, Markov, Halak and a few others however the majority put little to no effort in night after night, especially Komisarek, OB, both Kostitsyns.

They deserved the rightful boo they received, it was the only thing the Montreal Canadiens of 2008-2009 actually earned.

The behaviour of habs fans has really gone down the toilet lately

1. Riots

2. Booing the US anthem

3. Booing the team at the end of the game

I mean really, what is anyone trying to accomplish by booing the team at the end of the game?

It wont help the team by booing them, its gonna make things worse for them...I think fans has to make things better not worse...these so called "fans"...makes me sick and they are embarrassing for us, for our team, for Mtl..everybody outside Mtl wanna boo at us and are laughing at us bcz of some immature, childish and disrespectful so called "fans".

God I hope they grow up!

Interesting first post. I'll leave this thread open provided it doesn't get out of hand.

Here's what I posted in the Price thread, it's probably more appropriate here:

"Unfortunately, there is nothing good to say about anyone. Let's hope there wasn't too much damage done to Carey's pride and mental state because last night was a brutal display by frustrated fans. While I don't agree with what they did, I can't say I blame them for booing Price or any other member of the Canadiens. I also don't agree with Price's reaction, it was a selfish act throwing his arms up in the air. Professional athletes have to remember that they are making millions of dollars for a reason and it's not because of the fact that they are much better than the average person and deserve being there. They make millions of dollars because the fans pay to see them play. The fans generate the revenue. Once pro athletes realize the importance of the fans, then they will become true professionals.

"

Too intelligent? Rioting in the streets after winning games, booing national anthems, jeering their own players at the end of a game not to mention the end of the season. Too intelligent? Yeah I guess that's it.

I am not embaressed to be a Habs fan. I am now and always will be. As a huge fan of Carey Price, I agree that it was not necessary for Price to act that way, but if the crowd and fans start booing him what else is he suppose to do? He's obviously going to lose confidence if his fans stop believing in him and this goes for the whole team. Personally, I am proud of Carey for coming out and giving it his best. The injury was a set back but he was able to over come it. Go Habs Go! Cya next season!

I am not embaressed to be a Habs fan. I am now and always will be. As a huge fan of Carey Price, I agree that it was not necessary for Price to act that way, but if the crowd and fans start booing him what else is he suppose to do? He's obviously going to lose confidence if his fans stop believing in him and this goes for the whole team. Personally, I am proud of Carey for coming out and giving it his best. The injury was a set back but he was able to over come it. Go Habs Go! Cya next season!

I'm actually not embarrassed to be a Habs fan either if I really look at it...I am completely embarrassed and ashamed to be associated with the morons who boo young players who are busting their butts and boo National Anthems. These are uneducated hooligans and an embarrassment to the team and all it's loyal fans. My question is what % of total Habs fans do these morons make up?

Bob gainey was for one disgusted with the fans

Caught a little of his after the game response to reporters,hab fans be very carefull of how you treat your star players,running them out of montreal usually comes back to bite us as we have seen,was his message .

Reminds me when the fans booed brisebois a few yrs back when gainey came aboard,and he laid into the fans.Man he was steamed,as he was last night.

I cannot even begin to know what it must feel like to have 20,000 booing ya.

That would be tough to swallow,i would think.

There isn't a rock big enough to hide under,one would think ;)

I've been a Habs fan since I was a little kid...even while growing up in LI New York while the Islanders were in their hey-day.

I guess I've never truly realized how much the people in Montreal resent America. Kudos to both Guy Carbonneau (who stepped up and publically rebuked the fans a few years back) and Bob Gainey (who essentially did the same) for being stand up guys. I guess they represent the "old school" Canadiens fan base well. The "new" fan base has really become something I want nothing to do with. It's a shame...

Montreal used to be known for winning Stanley Cups, and building teams up when they didn't have a winner in town.

Now they're known for booing their own players, booing and disrespecting other ally countries and rioting and looting.

Nice Image.

+1

Take St. Louis for example. Did anyone, including their fans complain they were swept by Vancouver? No, they received a standing ovasion because frankly it was a "the next one wins it" type series. St. Louis was in every single game, battling, struggling and pushing Vancouver hard, yet the bounces simply did not come their way. Now you have Montreal who essentially played like they just did not give a damn anymore and had not in months. There were the exceptions such as Koivu, Markov, Halak and a few others however the majority put little to no effort in night after night, especially Komisarek, OB, both Kostitsyns.

They deserved the rightful boo they received, it was the only thing the Montreal Canadiens of 2008-2009 actually earned.

I watched every game of the St Louis vs Vancouver series so I would know the effort as well as anyone else. They score 0 powerplay goals including two 5 on 3's and they got shutout one of the games. They scored 5 goals and allowed 11 against. Commentators were constantly discussing about how they were getting completely outplayed by the Canucks. The only time they did anything impressive that series was in Game 4 and it was too little too late. They got a few boo's but they weren't humiliated the way our players were.

And I do agree that players like Komisarek and the Kostitsyns played terribly. However we don't know what underlying injuries they were sporting at the time and many of these guys aren't use to playoff hockey. You could tell many of them simply gassed out. They were playing against a bigger tougher healthier opponent and couldn't keep up. Doesn't mean we have to kick them when their down.

I agree we do need to revamp the team and add speed strenght heart and grit but some of our players do have these qualities and didn't deserve the treatment they got during game four.

I'm actually not embarrassed to be a Habs fan either if I really look at it...I am completely embarrassed and ashamed to be associated with the morons who boo young players who are busting their butts and boo National Anthems. These are uneducated hooligans and an embarrassment to the team and all it's loyal fans. My question is what % of total Habs fans do these morons make up?

I agree with you 100%. The fans who attended those two games go to support, in good or bad times. The players have been busting their butts out thier for thier fans and other reasons. I'm not sure what the percentage of Habs fans are like this but I would say about 25% of Habs fans only support the team when they're doing well and when the teams falling they boo and disrespect the team, anthems and other fans. That is pathetic.

Now they're known for booing their own players, booing and disrespecting other ally countries and rioting and looting.

Nice Image.

What do ya mean by now,that has been their image that they created some time ago.

This is not something new,,i guess they are quite content of their fame. <_<

SAD.

I haven't had a chance to listen to cjad or read the news in regards to what happened on the streets in Montreal after last nights loss. I was just wondering, was there a bit of rioting/vandalism occurring last night after the game?

I think that was a reference to 1993 post cup win riot. But there was a much bigger riot March 17, 1955...so this kind of thing while disgusting is far from new.

You can read my blog from today as well. yes I agree with ya,I am ashamed as well All true Habs fans know that Price is a great goalie and we have a great future with him in net.I can't wait too see him shine in the very near future and let all the so called fans in the Bell Centre last night eat their boos and ignorant behavior!

I want to thank you for blogging we must support our team,Carey and all the Habs including team management,thanks too all of you who can reconize a wanna be Habs fan.

The fans that go to the games pay good money to watch these players. If the players don't perform then there is nothing wrong with booing a player. These athletes make crazy amounts of money because of the fans. Just think of it like this, if Mr. Price or any other player is not happy getting booed, then maybe he can trade places with the Montreal Impact player that's just as good an athlete as they are yet only makes 20K a year because of lack of fan support.

It's funny how fans here blame fans. How about this, if teams like Montreal or Toronto that have a huge fanbase and support teams like Phoenix due to profit sharing lost their fans, what do you think would happen. We'd be back to a 6 team league and then what. Do you think that players like Carey Price or whichever other player that feels he can stick it to the fans with gestures like that, do you think they would crack a 6 team lineup. How about they count their lucky stars that they're making millions of dollars because of the fans and how about they show some more respect to the fans.

Here's what Price or anyone else in that situation should have done:

He should have accepted the boos and not gestured, in his post game interview he should have said: "I know I let the fans down with my poor play and I'm really upset with myself because they pay good money to watch us play. I will try my best to make it up to them by playing a lot better than I have been"

That is what a true professional does and turns the tables. Who's going to criticize that pro athlete after a statement like that.

The fans that go to the games pay good money to watch these players. If the players don't perform then there is nothing wrong with booing a player. These athletes make crazy amounts of money because of the fans. Just think of it like this, if Mr. Price or any other player is not happy getting booed, then maybe he can trade places with the Montreal Impact player that's just as good an athlete as they are yet only makes 20K a year because of lack of fan support.

It's funny how fans here blame fans. How about this, if teams like Montreal or Toronto that have a huge fanbase and support teams like Phoenix due to profit sharing lost their fans, what do you think would happen. We'd be back to a 6 team league and then what. Do you think that players like Carey Price or whichever other player that feels he can stick it to the fans with gestures like that, do you think they would crack a 6 team lineup. How about they count their lucky stars that they're making millions of dollars because of the fans and how about they show some more respect to the fans.

He should have accepted the boos and not gestured, in his post game interview he should have said: "I know I let the fans down with my poor play and I'm really upset with myself because they pay good money to watch us play. I will try my best to make it up to them by playing a lot better than I have been"

That is what a true professional does and turns the tables. Who's going to criticize that pro athlete after a statement like that.

There is responsibility on both sides. Booing a player for a bad play during a game is one thing. Mocking a player like Price for stopping a 1 mile per hour shot is not accomplishing anything. Booing the team at the end of the final game of the season is the same as instigating a fight in the handshake line - unsportsmanlike and unacceptable. Sure, they have the right to boo, it is not illegal to boo, but in my eyes, it is wrong. It is boorish behaviour and accomplishes nothing. If I go into Wal-Mart as a paying custom I expect service, but I don't get the right to abuse the staff. It is cowardice and accomplishes zero. Even Bob called out the fans for bullying Price and mentioned the Sydor scenario in LA.

Yes, our $ gives the players a great life, but they make some sacrifices too. Talk to Keith Primeau, or Lindros in 10 years when he is wearing a diaper in a nursing home. Or Berard or Saku who almost lost his eye. I am not comparing them to coal miners, but its not all wine and roses for these guys either.

Let's not forget Phil Esposito, who is now famous and revered for his tirade against the fans in 1972 to get off their backs and get behind their team. Subsequently they won the greatest victory in the history of international hockey. Instead, picture Espo doing as you suggest:

"I know I let the fans down with my poor play and I'm really upset with myself because they pay good money to watch us play. I will try my best to make it up to them by playing a lot better than I have been". Then slinking back to the dressing room. No win for us in 1972, as he is now demoralized. We rip these guys for not having emotion, but when they show emotion at being embarassed at being booed, we complain. You cannot have it both ways.

Agree,my only problem here is that it seems by him doing so,that hes admitting it all his fault.

Which we know is not the case.

Now,if he's making this announcement with 5-6 others lined up to do the same,including our coach,then by all means do so.

Archived