The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Embarrassed To Be A Habs Fan? I Am!

lphardy

The fans that go to the games pay good money to watch these players. If the players don't perform then there is nothing wrong with booing a player. These athletes make crazy amounts of money because of the fans. Just think of it like this, if Mr. Price or any other player is not happy getting booed, then maybe he can trade places with the Montreal Impact player that's just as good an athlete as they are yet only makes 20K a year because of lack of fan support.

It's funny how fans here blame fans. How about this, if teams like Montreal or Toronto that have a huge fanbase and support teams like Phoenix due to profit sharing lost their fans, what do you think would happen. We'd be back to a 6 team league and then what. Do you think that players like Carey Price or whichever other player that feels he can stick it to the fans with gestures like that, do you think they would crack a 6 team lineup. How about they count their lucky stars that they're making millions of dollars because of the fans and how about they show some more respect to the fans.

Here's what Price or anyone else in that situation should have done:

He should have accepted the boos and not gestured, in his post game interview he should have said: "I know I let the fans down with my poor play and I'm really upset with myself because they pay good money to watch us play. I will try my best to make it up to them by playing a lot better than I have been"

That is what a true professional does and turns the tables. Who's going to criticize that pro athlete after a statement like that.

your never embarrassed the be a CH fan but the this year was embarrassing yes. as for Carey he deserved that jeering lastnight because the frustration was boiling over he hasnt been there for us since January. he should of handled it like you said

your never embarrassed the be a CH fan but the this year was embarrassing yes. as for Carey he deserved that jeering lastnight because the frustration was boiling over he hasnt been there for us since January. he should of handled it like you said

I know I sound like a broken record,but this is where a vetern goalie could help price.

Just one part of the equation to help guide this 21 yr old down the road.

I am not embarrassed to be a habs fan, but watching the actions of some does make me embarrassed...if that makes any sense...

watching fans boo anthems and last year riot after the first round is hard to do...watching fans geer Price was something I was not fond of either...

The fans that go to the games pay good money to watch these players. If the players don't perform then there is nothing wrong with booing a player. These athletes make crazy amounts of money because of the fans. Just think of it like this, if Mr. Price or any other player is not happy getting booed, then maybe he can trade places with the Montreal Impact player that's just as good an athlete as they are yet only makes 20K a year because of lack of fan support.

It's funny how fans here blame fans. How about this, if teams like Montreal or Toronto that have a huge fanbase and support teams like Phoenix due to profit sharing lost their fans, what do you think would happen. We'd be back to a 6 team league and then what. Do you think that players like Carey Price or whichever other player that feels he can stick it to the fans with gestures like that, do you think they would crack a 6 team lineup. How about they count their lucky stars that they're making millions of dollars because of the fans and how about they show some more respect to the fans.

He should have accepted the boos and not gestured, in his post game interview he should have said: "I know I let the fans down with my poor play and I'm really upset with myself because they pay good money to watch us play. I will try my best to make it up to them by playing a lot better than I have been"

That is what a true professional does and turns the tables. Who's going to criticize that pro athlete after a statement like that.

+1

And Komisarek, so far, has been the only player man enough to acknowledge that the fans had every right to voice their displeasure.

+1

And Komisarek, so far, has been the only player man enough to acknowledge that the fans had every right to voice their displeasure.

He may have said it, but I doubt he meant it. I think it really peeves them off to be booed after the last game of season. There is no point to kicking a team or player when they are down and out, no matter if you have the right to do it or not.

I recall Phil Esposito Speaking about fans booing Team Canada in 1972, that team was trying as hard as they could. I would assume that all professional teams put out their best effort and it must be extremely depressing to try your hardest only to have your fans boo your efforts. I would hope it is just the lout of people whose lives suck and they need to dump on someone and they feel justified because they've invested some of their precious time on these spoilt superstars, Grow up and stop acting like little brats.

I was also extremely disappointed in the fans for booing our own team. While people argued it was classless to boo the US anthem, I tried to remain objective and say well, St. Louis booed the Canadian anthem, so maybe it was a response, or perhaps the fans just wanted to boo the Bruins and misplaced their jeers.

Nevertheless, mocking Price was really low; I actually hope he goes to another city and wins a few cups a la Roy - for another big F-U to a disgraceful group of fans who actually chose to disrespect the team and him especially.

As much as I love the Habs and as much as I love the atmosphere you can get at the Bell Centre; I absolutely hate the way a fair amount of Habs fans act. You really think that top name players want to come here after seeing that sh*t? They wonder why we never attract the top name talents in the league...

Obviously everyone has a right to their opinion. If that's the way you and those other "they make millions and so we have the right to boo them" fans feel, then so be it. BUT don't complain and don't scratch your head and wonder why it is so impossible to draw any big impact UFA that this team so desparately needs.

Well this is my first and only post on these forums so far and I've been a member for 2 years now. Always found these forums to dish out interesting topics to read while I was at school.

My reasons for posting today though are of disdain disgust and disappointment. And I am not referring to the performance of our players but to disrespect and childish behavior of the habs fans during game four. It was to me the most humiliating and embarrassing moment to be a habs fan and I've been watching them since I was 8.

First let me say that St Louis, 6th seed in their conference, got swept by Vancouver just the other day. At the end of the game I was waiting for the boo's and the humiliating chants but when they didn't happen and the team got a respectful ovation to end the season I remembered I wasn't watching a habs game. And furthermore none of them threw things on the ice once the game was over.

Watch for yourselves http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?hlg=200...74&fr=false

Furthermore their goalie let in a few soft goals, including the one that got them eliminated but he didn't take any slack for it given that the team scored only 5 goals total to back him up. How many did we score? 6.

In addition to that their team wasn't suffering from injuries to many key players and ours was.

On top of it all they were playing against the 3rd seeded team in their conference. We, on the other hand, were playing the hottest team in the league, the favorite to most likely win the cup besides Detroit.

I'm not making excuses for losing. Losing is unacceptable but it is inevitable sometimes all we can do is take it with some humility and look towards the next season so as not to make the same mistakes again.

Good fans make the team try hard and feel comfortable playing home games. Our guys needed our support and we let them down big time. No wonder good players don't want to sign with us. After that I don't see how any habs player on the ice that night would want to play for us.

Go habs go.

WOW......I couldn't agree with you more..........and you can see that from what I wrote in the goaltending thread, which I'm posting below. I wrote that before I saw your post, it's amazing how much I agree with you.

---I was embarrased to be a HABS fan last night, but not for the reasons you might think. I'm always defending HABS fans in general, ya know, were not jerks, were more knowledgeable than most fans. But last night I was proved wrong by many fans at the Bell Center.

Carey Price only had one bad game this series and that was game 2.

Any KNOWLEDGEABLE fan would know that last night had nothing to do with Price, it was all about that AHL defence that was playing in front of him. What is he supposed to do when Boston is given the great oppertunities like they were last night.

Everyone better be careful of what they wish for, saying get rid of Price and what not, casue ya know what if we keep treating this 21 year old like this he IS going to ask to leave and he's gonna go some where and rip it up and shove it right back in our faces........................and you know what......................I'd be happy for him.

This KID has played JUST 2 NHL seasons and you want to give up on him already. You can't judge him on JUST 2 seasons. But if you must, make sure you jugde everything and not just the tough times. Make sure you judge the great stretch of games if went on after Huet was traded, make sure you judge him on the 4 wins against the B's in the first round last year, because he most certainly did steal a game or two, and if he had to steal a game in a 7 game series if means it's because of him we won the series. Make sure you judge him on his 16-5-5 start to the year and the 11 game unbeaten streak in regulation from earlier in the year. If everyone is only gonna look and judge by the negatives, then what is the sence of even have a hockey team in MTL, because by those standards there wouldn't be anybody to play for the team becasue no body would be good enough.

Case in point after looking pretty good early in his career, Marc Andre Flurey looked like he was maybe gonna be a flop and a lot of people were giving up on him, on year later and you can see what all the hype was about as Fluery has played awesom this year.

We've already seen what all the hype about Price is, not lets just let him get his mogo back, and he will, and not give up on the kid, cause if we do it may haunt us for years and years to come......case in point........#33!!!!!----

Not only that, but I went into work today at Canadian Tire and had to face a friend of my who I've become friends with through working there only 8 months, who is a Boston fan (he's a very good fan though, not your typical B's fan and never rubs it in when they beat us and never once rubbed it in when at any point in the series, he actually thought we would win becasue we always beat them in the playoffs).

Anyways to the point.......I admitted to him today that for the first time in the 17 or 18 years I've been a HABS fan that last night was the first time I was every embarrased to be, for the reason's posted below. The fans display last night seemed to prove what everyone says about HABS fans is right, even though I always defend us as being good intelligent fans.

He responded by saying "ya I know, it's not that I even dislike the Canadiens I just think all there fans are jerks. Not you of course, your a good HABS fans, it's just those ***** at the Bell Centre."

Sadley I had to agree with him, becasue from what I watched for the first time I though maybe the other fans were right about us.

I don't put myself in that group thankfully...........................

.....................to the ones who are in that group....................hank you.................you've made it so that I'm EMBARRASED to be a HABS fan!!!!

GO HABS GO.......through thick and then......no matter what.....................................................

I ALWAYS SUPPORT OUR BOYS IN THE BLEU, BLANCE ET ROUGE!!!!!!!!!!

I recall Phil Esposito Speaking about fans booing Team Canada in 1972, that team was trying as hard as they could. I would assume that all professional teams put out their best effort and it must be extremely depressing to try your hardest only to have your fans boo your efforts. I would hope it is just the lout of people whose lives suck and they need to dump on someone and they feel justified because they've invested some of their precious time on these spoilt superstars, Grow up and stop acting like little brats.

Great example.....here's the quote.....couldn't find a video of it.

"If the Russian fans boo their players in Moscow like you people are booing us, I'll come back and apologize personally to every one of you, but I really don't think that will happen. We gave it and are doing our best. All of us guys are really disheartened. . . . We came out here because we love Canada. They're a good hockey team, and we don't know what we could do better, but I promise we will figure it out. But it's totally ridiculous — I don't think it is fair that we should be booed."

Now I'd like to see some of the "fans" on here tell Phil Esposito other wise!!!!

+1

Yeah he said it and he is also the man who by his interview will be one of the first lookin to get out of town. By all accounts Komi looks like he won't be returning. He probably will never say it, but you can probably put 2 and 2 together and find that it is part of the booing of the American Anthem. Komi for whatever reason after that injury in the fight with Lucic he seemed to lose his edge and he never regained it. Komi may have had just enough of the overall crap that goes on in this city and now has a way out and is gonna take it.

I'm not so much embarrassed to be a Habs fan because I will always love the Habs. I am more embarrassed to be lumped into the same category as the yahoo's that were at the game last night.

The booing of the American national anthem was disgraceful I don't care what anyone says. The American anthem does not have anything to do with the team the Habs are playing. If you want to boo the Bruins, fine but to boo another nation's anthem is ignorant and classless. There are American players on the Habs after all.

I really feel sorry for Price, this kid has been thrown into a situation he clearly isn't ready for and his confidence is shot because of it. He either needs more time in the AHL, a veteran goaltender to help mentor him or a better goaltender coach, probably all of the above. Putting the blame squarely on Price is unfair he didn't lose this series for us.

The team as a whole was a great disappointment to alot of people including myself. After last season, expectations were set very high for a team filled with 3rd and 4th liners, 2 young goaltenders and a weak defensive corp. The fact is last season the team overachieved and was healthy.

I just hope the fans that were at last night's game remember come July why no one wants to sign here because they're part of the reason why.

I'm not so much embarrassed to be a Habs fan because I will always love the Habs. I am more embarrassed to be lumped into the same category as the yahoo's that were at the game last night.

The booing of the American national anthem was disgraceful I don't care what anyone says. The American anthem does not have anything to do with the team the Habs are playing. If you want to boo the Bruins, fine but to boo another nation's anthem is ignorant and classless. There are American players on the Habs after all.

I really feel sorry for Price, this kid has been thrown into a situation he clearly isn't ready for and his confidence is shot because of it. He either needs more time in the AHL, a veteran goaltender to help mentor him or a better goaltender coach, probably all of the above. Putting the blame squarely on Price is unfair he didn't lose this series for us.

The team as a whole was a great disappointment to alot of people including myself. After last season, expectations were set very high for a team filled with 3rd and 4th liners, 2 young goaltenders and a weak defensive corp. The fact is last season the team overachieved and was healthy.

I just hope the fans that were at last night's game remember come July why no one wants to sign here because they're part of the reason why.

Guest habs1952

Why doesn't anyone mention the fact that after the handshakes were over and the Bruins left the ice the Habs got cheered by the remaining fans when the team saluted them?

Guest habs1952

I was at the game. Now I could be wrong but it sure sounded like most of the booing came from the "cheap" seats. The seats up high where a lot of "Fans" don't hesitate to spend a lot more money on beer than they paid for their tickets. I would describe myself as disappointed, not embarrassed over the actions of the fans that booed. Every team has them. As a Habs fan I'm never, ever embarrassed by the team. They did their best but Boston was just too good. Hell, we barely made the playoffs but I think most of us, even though we believed and cheered the team on as true fans do, knew we needed a miracle to win.

I was at the game. Now I could be wrong but it sure sounded like most of the booing came from the "cheap" seats. The seats up high where a lot of "Fans" don't hesitate to spend a lot more money on beer than they paid for their tickets. I would describe myself as disappointed, not embarrassed over the actions of the fans that booed. Every team has them. As a Habs fan I'm never, ever embarrassed by the team. They did their best but Boston was just too good. Hell, we barely made the playoffs but I think most of us, even though we believed and cheered the team on as true fans do, knew we needed a miracle to win.

well we needed a miracle with all the injuries we had, if we were healthy its a different series

I never boo a player, never did, no matter what league they play in. I'll boo the opposition though, that's different. I never had the chance to boo the Habs because of my record at the Bell - 8-0-1, lol. And yes, if given the chance, I hope it never comes, I'll boo the team, not the players, for a poor performance. They play, win and lose as a team. It's either all is at fault in a loss and all receives credit in a win.

However, I'm not going to get into the dynamics of what and why. The only thing that I will say on the subject is that Bob Gainey is fully responsible for the booing last night, not Carey!

typo

Why doesn't anyone mention the fact that after the handshakes were over and the Bruins left the ice the Habs got cheered by the remaining fans when the team saluted them?

Because all the fair weather fans, i.e. boo birds, left before the end of the game in a feeble attempt to beat traffic...like they do every game. The real fans stayed until the end.

I'm never embarrassed to be a Habs fan

My thoughts exactly. Win or lose, your team is still YOUR team.

It was a frustrating season, but we made the playoffs nonetheless which is still an accomplishment in its own (even if we got swept). It'll be an interesting off-season and im looking forward to see some changes behind the bench, and on the ice for 09/10.

OH YEA.

That made price feel a whole lot better ;) ,after the damage was done,start cheering. :angry:

Archived