The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Pipe Dream : Jerome Iginla

HabsAlways

Would you like to see Iggy in a Habs uniform?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yes
    • No

YES. I really like how he plays which is not just a finesse game but he can also play a gritty game. I think he plays with alot of heart and I really do think he would be a great fit with us and a change in scenery might be good for him. But he's making 7 million (I think), and if we do get him, I still think we need a first line centre and I'm not so sure if we can afford one with Iginla's contract

He's turning 32 this year. I don't think it's wise to sell the farm for a 32 year old. I'd only pick these guys up as UFAs.

Thank you, this was exactly the point I was trying to make.

Acquiring Iginla now would be exactly the type of move we've been doing for the past 20 years. Back before that we were the team that moved iginla - you know, move him while he still has top value but really only has a couple of more years left in the tank. Now, before someone jumps on me that "oh he'll be great for another 10 years" - who knows, maybe he will - there certainly have been players who look good well into their late 30s (look at lang!) but its a low probability risk & while Id take one if he were UFA, i would not take that risk if it meant moving good roster players to do so - certainly not unless it was to get him as the "final" puzzle piece- not when your team loses in 4 straight in the first round.

• 2 weeks later...
I know he was a good drafter and built a great baseball team in Minnesota, but I dunno how the old man would do on skates ;)

Maybe he could pick up a hockey player via waivers who turns out as good as Johan Santana pitching. ;)

Terry Ryan was a classical canadiens 1st round bust from the 1990s, I think 1994.

It was in 1995 and we selected him 8th overall. Btw Iginla was drafted 11th overall that year. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I would offer the Flames Markov,Higgins,Chipchura,Mcdonaugh and a 1st for Iginla.

BTW I would also offer that for Lecavalier or Thornton.I would sweeten it for Malkin or Crosby.

We are never going to draft players this good.I would have a fire sale to get even one of them.

I would offer the Flames Markov,Higgins,Chipchura,Mcdonaugh and a 1st for Iginla.

BTW I would also offer that for Lecavalier or Thornton.I would sweeten it for Malkin or Crosby.

We are never going to draft players this good.I would have a fire sale to get even one of them.

That is wild. :o

I wouldn't even offer Andrei Markov for Jerome Iginla.

Archived