The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Interested In Signing Sedins?

pagos86

Sounds like total ***** to me.

The canucks are in the middle of a playoff round. Last thing they'd be doing right now is working on a contract - and even if they were - where would anyone get "evidence" that teams are or arent interested in signing a free agent before July 1? Its not like they are trading for them, meaning phonecalls would have been made etc. The sedins might be a nice fit in Montreal, but I would bet dollars for donuts that Montreal has never leaked an interest in them.

Sounds to me like a rumor a chicago supporter would make up to throw the team off their game!

The canucks are in the middle of a playoff round. Last thing they'd be doing right now is working on a contract - and even if they were - where would anyone get "evidence" that teams are or arent interested in signing a free agent before July 1? Its not like they are trading for them, meaning phonecalls would have been made etc. The sedins might be a nice fit in Montreal, but I would bet dollars for donuts that Montreal has never leaked an interest in them.

Sounds to me like a rumor a chicago supporter would make up to throw the team off their game!

Saying we're interested in them doesn't necessarily mean we're negotiating with them or anything so the fact they're in the playoffs doesn't mean much. Where would they get evidence? Well someone would have to leak interest within the organization and whether that happened or a reporter just pieced it together based on the fact we need a number 1 center and Sedin is really the only one truly available July 1st is another thing.

If a team wanting them when they are a UFA throws them off their game then they have pretty serious issues.

Caught that also.

Though Pierre LeBrun did acknowledge that contract talks are at a stand still,at this time.(playoffs)

The 3 teams that would have cap space & have shown interest are the habs,leafs & minnesota.

I'm just guessing that if it was leaked,that it does not necessarily have to have come from monteal.

I'm just curious to see if they go in a package deal together as i think they probably will,or do they get seperated.

habs are "interested" in signing every free agent out there.

as is every other team.

there are argument that select witch players a team wants to sign first

-Salary

-

-

oh well i guess i forgot its the only argument.

I imagine the Habs are interested in any UFA.

But the real question is - are any UFA's interested in coming here? And IMO there is a huge difference between A. "hockey" pressure and B. the pressure of risking everything you've worked for because of an overzealous media. At least some can overcome A but it's B, especially after what happened this past year, that could be a real concern.

Having said that, I think Gainey needs to be extra careful how he handles the Kostitsyn's and Hamrlik. It just seems to me packaging those three players for anything is gonna send a bad message to other UFA or potential signees. I've read two comments that imply the alleged criminal was introduced by other "hockey players". In other words, Hamrlik, Grabovski (sp) and possibly the Kostitsyn's didn't find this guy on their own.

So far... The Kostitsyns haven't shown to be anywhere near as capable as the Sedins.

True, of course, although its interesting to note the similar numbers between the sedins & Andrei based on his age vs. when they were that age. Sergei took a step backwards this year but still is putting up comparable PPG as to what the sedins did at age 22 (less games/more pressbox duties, mind you). Remember, they were 30 point players until age 24 or so - and not the PPG guys they are now untill they were 25-26 yrs old (and had played 5 full NHL seasons).

None of this means that the Kostitsyns will ever live up the Sedins (and a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush) but I think its fair to say the development of the Kostitsyns is not contradictory to that the Sedins.

We're off topic anyway - its not a thread about comparing these brother duos, although imho they are never leaving Vancouver, just like I dont see our Brother team leaving the CH any time soon.

We're off topic anyway - its not a thread about comparing these brother duos, although imho they are never leaving Vancouver, just like I dont see our Brother team leaving the CH any time soon.

Well I could see the Sedins leaving. Their contract negotiations are going nowhere are they are reportedly looking for long term 7 mil deals each AND they have to come as a duo.

For those reasons, I wouldn't sign them, its just crazy talk.

I doubt the Sedins would leave Vancouver. From an interview CBC had with them it sounded as if they loved the city and organization especially after drafting them together.

True, of course, although its interesting to note the similar numbers between the sedins & Andrei based on his age vs. when they were that age. Sergei took a step backwards this year but still is putting up comparable PPG as to what the sedins did at age 22 (less games/more pressbox duties, mind you). Remember, they were 30 point players until age 24 or so - and not the PPG guys they are now untill they were 25-26 yrs old (and had played 5 full NHL seasons).

None of this means that the Kostitsyns will ever live up the Sedins (and a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush) but I think its fair to say the development of the Kostitsyns is not contradictory to that the Sedins.

i hope you're right. a lot of fans want them gone right now.

as for the sedin comparison to the kostitsyns: well put and agreed. :)

Well I could see the Sedins leaving. Their contract negotiations are going nowhere are they are reportedly looking for long term 7 mil deals each AND they have to come as a duo.

For those reasons, I wouldn't sign them, its just crazy talk.

I agree that thats exactly what they are looking for & for those reasons I think they will remain in vancouver. I cant see any other GM taking the risk, whereas Vancouver knows exactly what they have (far less risk).

Archived