The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Balsille Puts In Offer On Coyotes!

Should there be another NHL team in Ontario?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be another NHL team in Ontario?

• Yes
    • No

Accordin to TSN Balsille has made an offer for the Coyotes conditional on moving to southern ontario!!!!!! The Hamilton Coyotes? Hamilton Steelheads?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=277664

I really hope he gets this team, I think Arizona had it's shot at NHL hockey, now it's time to give Canadians a shot at helping this team. Revenues will go up (from losing 20M per yr to making maybe 20-25M) thus pushing the cap up.

If 2/3 of NHL revenues came from 6 teams (in Canada) add a 7th and it will out produce 15 American teams in a heartbeat!

This Balsillie offer is his best chance so far, after two previous attempts:

• this team has to leave Phoenix ... it's lost US$200MM in 8 seasons there. This "own an NHL team" thing is a bit of a hobby interest for these owner millionaires. But they also didn't become millionaires by not looking after the best way to invest their money. The team's moving out.
  • The team is in bankruptcy (this is key) and the the trustees and court are charged with realizing maximal value for the creditors. Bettman has a say, but this puts some pressure against him turning down the best $ offer
  • Balsillie's offer (he says) is 'clean'; no financing or other conditions (other than he's only interested if team moves to southern Ontario) -- up to Bettman to call his bluff there (e.g., approve his offer, but only if he moves club to (for example) Las Vegas))
  • NHL can't head into next season still managing one of its clubs as it is now. Doesn't look good. There is some expedience to resolve this. even if team does not physcially move for a year or two.
  • Hamilton or Toronto (#2 team) or Kitchener-Waterloo would all support a team sufficiently. And certainly better than Phoenix.

I would love to see the Coyotes move back to Canada, but back to Winnipeg. Although, Ontario isn't bad either. Guaranteed attendance.

Its good news to see that bettmans teams are failing. (Florida, Tampa bay, Phoenix)

Agreed. Time to fire that little weasel. :P

I'm not saying this is likely to happen, however I do believe it is more likely to happen than if this same deal was presented in the past because of the circumstances like the NHL owning a team AND especially the current economic state.

While it may be considered retarded in some sense to relocate on short term goals, the economic stability/revenue that can be gained from an Ontario market is something that can aid the NHL in a time of crisis.

Bettman has done a great job weathering this storm, the NHL is experiencing growth, and the least amount of layoffs and other things in comparison to the other major pro leagues.

I personally wouldn't do it, Phoenix has a good core and if they would just win, people will come and generate revenue, see Columbus for the instant effects of success, especially with hockey on the gradual uprise in the States.

Its good news to see that bettmans teams are failing. (Florida, Tampa bay, Phoenix)

Florida is actually doing decent now that they were in a playoff race, attendance was up in the 2nd half, Tampa was also a league leader in attendance for many years.

Betman would rather move the montreal canadiens to texas, then put an american team up north.

What Canadian city has an NHL ready arena that's not occupied?

Yes, the game is strong here for the time being but all the Canadian franchises other than Toronto have gone through very hard economic times in the past 10-12 years so it's not as fool proof as some make it sound.

It's just not as much of a no brainer as people want to make it sound.

I'm not saying this is likely to happen, however I do believe it is more likely to happen than if this same deal was presented in the past because of the circumstances like the NHL owning a team AND especially the current economic state.

Agree,he can't continue to keep his head stuck up his butt forever :lol:

He's gonna have to swallow his pride (hopefully he won't choke ;) ) and come around and realize the truth thay's staring him in the face.

Bettman,your going downnnnnn,along with your failing dreams.

The players have a say in ths now too thanks to the CBA, they are entitled to 55% of all revenues, and a team in ontario will do exponentially better than one in arizona.

Buttman also has to answer to all the owners who have been dumping $$$ into another team, taking away potential profits and flexibility. These owners are rich for a reason, they are smart money men.

Welcome home to Canada coyotes!

Agree,he can't continue to keep his head stuck up his butt forever :lol:

He's gonna have to swallow his pride (hopefully he won't choke ;) ) and come around and realize the truth thay's staring him in the face.

Bettman,your going downnnnnn,along with your failing dreams.

I don't see why he has his "head up his butt".

In States where teams have won, they have immediately turned into decent to good hockey states.

Texas, California, at times Florida, look at Ohio this year. Buffalo and Chicago are great examples too of how winning can turn a franchise's revenues around.

I hope he gets to buy them. :D The Phoenix franchise seems to be suffering if what I keep hearing in the media is even partially true. Why not let Balsille buy the bloody team and relocate them? The guy wants to bring another team to Canada. What could be better? I love the idea of Bettman having to admit failure, too. Balsille is almost the Anti-Bettman in the way he keeps trying to move a failing American franchise back to Canada where it will have a greater chance of success. It makes me more sympathetic to the cause! :lol:

Question for Quebec residents, was the media in the province as hostile and aggressive as it is today when the Nordiques around. My assumption is that they weren't, partly because their focus was on two teams and could not devote so much energy on just one team. If that is the case. Then for the sake of Carey Price's sanity bring back the Nordiques.

I don't see why he has his "head up his butt".

All I meant was his refusing/denial that some teams in question are in financial trouble & has been for some time,and when ever he is asked to comment on the topic,his answer is always the same.

There's no teams in the league that are in financial disarray,everything's just rosey.

Do not believe everything that comes out of his mouth,that's all.

Glad to see some people stand up and support Rim Jim's bid.

1)Paul Kelly NHLPA boss has supported the idea of a team in southern ontario http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009...ly-coyotes.html .. The players should be concerned about the revenue black hole that is Phoenix.

2) Even PM Harper says that Ontario can support a third NHL franchise. ( he will not openly support a bid by an individual) http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

The arguments used that there will be too many clubs .... 1) well check how far apart the Islanders, Devils, and NYR are apart. Heck, Hartford had a team and they were about 2.5 hrs. from NYC.

2) Anaheim and LA are about an hour apart....

Ive signed up for Rim Jims make it seven site... http://www.makeitseven.ca/ I urge others who support the bid to do so also. If we can't get through to Buttman maybe the board of governors will take notice.

If we can't get through to Buttman maybe the board of governors will take notice.

Well,if I understand things here,1st off,the bankruptcy has to make the first decision,2nd the board of governors then will vote,bettman has no say in this.

If we can't get through to Buttman maybe the board of governors will take notice.

Well,if I understand things here,1st off,the bankruptcy has to make the first decision,2nd the board of governors then will vote,bettman has no say in this.

Archived