The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Nhl Officiating

The NHL & Its Officials  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How well have the officials performed this season?

• 1 - Very poorly
    • 2 - Poorly
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Good
    • 5 - Very good

340x.jpg

Hey everyone. I just wanted to open a topic where we could disucss the NHL and its on-ice officiating. I have felt a mixture of jubilation and frustration at various times this season while watching the 'zebras' do their job. Should we just survive by the adage, for every bad bounce against us there will be a bad bounce for us, or are the officials quite simply... Terrible? How do the new rules relate to the on-ice officiating? How has the officiating changed since the post-season has started? Please vote and express your opinion on how you felt the officiating did this season in the NHL.

We *****, we moan, we get frustrated - often rightfully so, but ultimately is it any different than any other year?

I voted "average" because imho the officiating has been pretty much just that. Sometimes i think the officials are too tight but then that would be a league mandate, not the officials.

the only thing that sometimes irks me is inconsistency from one official to the next - but overall this is not usually too bad.

We *****, we moan, we get frustrated - often rightfully so, but ultimately is it any different than any other year?

I voted "average" because imho the officiating has been pretty much just that. Sometimes i think the officials are too tight but then that would be a league mandate, not the officials.

the only thing that sometimes irks me is inconsistency from one official to the next - but overall this is not usually too bad.

Good post.

This is what will happen when we use an officiating system with so many quick decisions, judgement calls and grey area to a lot of calls. There will be a lot of blown plays and until we change the SYSTEM it is unfair of us to so harshly criticize the refs when we probably couldn't even do any better.

IMO officiating has gone down hill ( if thats possible) since we went to a 2 ref system.It seems that they cant seem to get in sink with one another as to who covers what during a game. How many times have we seen the BACK ref make a call that the ref in better position deemed OK??? This system is seriously flawed and yet the NHL just ignores the problem. IMO its time for the league to adopt a similar video revue rule like football,,, to at least repair some of the gaffs these guys make every game.

Ever remember when Dandenault came out of the penalty box and had a break-away, but the Ref stood infront of him making the play completely dead. A Carolina game towards the end of the 08-09 season against Montreal and the penalty counts was 11-3 against us. The Playoffs between Montreal-Boston was horrible. Then you see Carolina-Boston and they let everything go ? The game 7 OT...WHAT WAS THAT ??? Gary Bettman said after the lockout, that the Refing would change, Zero Tolerance ? Yea my rear end.

IMO if we could ever insert machines into sports it will be a step in the right direction.

For baseball make mechanical strike zones and dectors to see if a guy is safe or out. For football, again detectors on the guys knees and palms to detect exactly when he went down and when he fumbled the ball etc.

For hockey it would be harder as thers too many judgement calls, but mechanical detectors for offsides, icing, and possibly on the goalies trapper to call a play dead. Also there could be a timer on a dead puck to call a play.

There is so many possibilities and the technology IS THERE, the excuse of needing the human element (aka the idiot element) is just too much.

IMO if we could ever insert machines into sports it will be a step in the right direction.

For baseball make mechanical strike zones and dectors to see if a guy is safe or out. For football, again detectors on the guys knees and palms to detect exactly when he went down and when he fumbled the ball etc.

For hockey it would be harder as thers too many judgement calls, but mechanical detectors for offsides, icing, and possibly on the goalies trapper to call a play dead. Also there could be a timer on a dead puck to call a play.

There is so many possibilities and the technology IS THERE, the excuse of needing the human element (aka the idiot element) is just too much.

It would be nice. ;)

Thats why i beleive the next logical move would be to somehow involve more video revue. I'm sure they could find a way to incorporate it into the game without slowing it down to the point of it being a nuisance.

I like the idea of using some kind of puter chips in players skates and the puck for offside plays. That would eliminate the need for a couple of those zebras. :P

My own experience in IT and software tells me that these are not as simple as you might think. Having said that, looking for new ways to incorporate technology I think would be positive. One major issue is shock absorbancy. If you have a chip mounted in a skate for example, what happens if they block a shot? You could set up a sensor system with nets and the puck to detect if a goal has been scored but if the sensors are in the puck or the net, they have to be extremely tough(there's a reason why pucks are hard rubber) to handle being shot/hit. Chips and sensors are not the toughest things in the world.

Archived