The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Is Dallas Next

Bettmans nightmare of his relocated teams seem to be falling apart

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/632760

Completely different situation than Phoenix. Dallas has won, has brought in attendance and have a good fanbase, the ownership just ran their financial aspects very poorly.

Whoever the new owner is will keep the Stars in Texas, hockey is fine there.

Completely different situation than Phoenix. Dallas has won, has brought in attendance and have a good fanbase, the ownership just ran their financial aspects very poorly.

Whoever the new owner is will keep the Stars in Texas, hockey is fine there.

Can't I just blame everything on Bettman anyway :lol: .....it's alot easier that way

In fairness to Bettman he started the expansion when the economy in the US was very good. No one knew it would go downhill at the time. I never liked the expansion though as I thought there were too many teams. I also miss the nordiques, jets, and the north stars. Those were good names lol.

In fairness to Bettman he started the expansion when the economy in the US was very good. No one knew it would go downhill at the time. I never liked the expansion though as I thought there were too many teams. I also miss the nordiques, jets, and the north stars. Those were good names lol.

But when one is planning a long term strategy, one must consider the possibility of future downturns in markets. Successful businesses don't just think about the present, but also the possibility of weaker markets in the future, and how that impacts on success in the long term. Sadly, there are more short term thinkers in investment markets than long term thinkers, and the excitement of the moment clouds their thinking.

I've been around long enough to have witnessed four or five recessions in Canada - booming economies ALWAYS have their downturns, and we're in yet another one now. Basically one can predict this rise and fall - only the timing is unknown.

One comment about NHL franchises in the southeast (in particular): This is NASCAR country - does anyone think that the subtleties and finesse of hockey (as played by Les Habs) will win over the roar of stock cars and dragsters?

Glenn

Archived