The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Peter Zezel

Former NHL player Peter Zezel is near death in a Toronto hospital, after suffering from a blood disorder that became worse this week.

Zezel, 44, spent the last 10 years being treated for haemolytic anaemia, a rare disorder in which red blood cells are destroyed faster than the body can replace them.

The Toronto native played 15 seasons in the National Hockey League with the Philadelphia Flyers, St. Louis Blues, Washington Capitals, Toronto Maple Leafs, Dallas Stars, New Jersey Devils and Vancouver Canucks.

With 873 games played in his NHL career, he's best remembered for his tenure in Toronto. He scored 50 goals and 128 points in four seasons with the Maple Leafs and helped guide the club to back-to-back appearances in the conference finals in 1993 and 1994.

Hockey was not the only sport where Zezel excelled. He also played with the Toronto Blizzard of the North American Soccer League and the North York Rockets of the Canadian Soccer League.

Zezel retired from his NHL playing career after the 1998-99 season and ran hockey camps in his hometown for the last 11 years.

He was also a popular guest on TSN's Off The Record with Michael Landsberg, making 19 appearances on the guest panel and discussing all the latest issues in hockey. His most recent appearance on the show was May 7.

Just want to say our prayers are with you & your family peter.

God bless.

Even though I didn't know him personally, he seemed like a really nice guy when I watched him play for the Leafs and then the Canucks. I remember when the Leafs in '93 went to the conference finals, he was the best face-off man I had ever seen. Also, some of the older members on here may remember that great hockey movie "Young Blood". Peter had a cameo in it and I was like, "hey that's Peter Zezel"!

RIP Peter.

Archived