The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Nine Hockey-free Days Before Finals Start?

tmash

Has anyone heard differently from the NHL, because if you look at this article from last week:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279589

the exact situation TSN describes happened: Pens sweep, Detroit wins in 5. So according to the NHL's previous announcement it's 9 days until the finals start. I have a feeling they will back-peddle on this ill-thought idea (if they haven't already that is).

Has anyone heard differently from the NHL, because if you look at this article from last week:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279589

the exact situation TSN describes happened: Pens sweep, Detroit wins in 5. So according to the NHL's previous announcement it's 9 days until the finals start. I have a feeling they will back-peddle on this ill-thought idea (if they haven't already that is).

ESPN reported earlier that if both Pitts and Det won their games the finals would start earlier, we'll see what happens I suppose.

ESPN reported earlier that if both Pitts and Det won their games the finals would start earlier, we'll see what happens I suppose.

I could have sworn I just heard that the finals will start THIS Saturday. Anyone know differently?

Well the previous announcement was that if both teams swept the series it would start 5 days earlier.

But it's entirely possible they changed it because quite frankly a 9 day wait is ridiculous. Slightly embarrassing for them either way.

2009 Stanley Cup Final—Detroit Red Wings vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

Date Match-up Time (ET) National TV

Saturday, May 30 Pittsburgh at Detroit 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS

Sunday, May 31 Pittsburgh at Detroit TBD evening NBC, CBC, RDS

Tuesday, June 2 Detroit at Pittsburgh 8 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS

Thursday, June 4 Detroit at Pittsburgh 8 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS

* Saturday, June 6 Pittsburgh at Detroit 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS

* Tuesday, June 9 Detroit at Pittsburgh 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS

* Friday, June 12 Pittsburgh at Detroit 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS

* if necessary

------------

So from long break to short break, I guess I prefer the latter and its good for the NHL as to avoid the embarassment of possibly having the NBA end before the NHL.

Wow. Even with a rematch, two good hockey markets, Sid the Kid and Malkin, the Stanley Cup final still only gets 5/7 possible games on NBC. Sad.

Why would they waste their money on something that is a lower tier sport in the US in a time when the economy is bad?

Archived