The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jacques Martin 2009-2010

pitbull12

There is no downgrade from Carbo, he was terrible. That said I am on the fence about this decision, I know little about Martin however with all the available coaches in the league such as Quinn, Crawford, Hartley, Torts we go and sign a defensive guy with an average track record? Yes I know Torts (who would have been awesome) and Quinn were off the list however Crawford was still there. My concern now is if this guy is so defensive minded, how will he fair on a speedy offensive based team like ours? Does not matter right, because the man speaks French. :rolleyes:

I suppose it is unfair to judge until the allstar break howvever...

From Wikipedia:

Marc Crawford = 470 - 361 - 100 - 52

Jacques Martin = 517 - 406 - 119 - 56

Not much of a difference really. Crawford has one Stanley Cup, right?

Word is Mario Tremblay will be named an assistant coach of the Canadiens...

Word from where? :unsure:

From Wikipedia:

Thats not really a fair stat. This debate happened about 1000 times in the Carbo thread, but record is not a proper way to analyze a coach. The way he coaches is the best way.

Thats not really a fair stat. This debate happened about 1000 times in the Carbo thread, but record is not a proper way to analyze a coach. The way he coaches is the best way.

The record is easier to look up :P

what did crawford do with vancouver again?? lol face it if the habs got crawford people would be here moaning about that too...just see what this guy does as coach...if anything, the only difference between his panthers and our habs last season was that we won the season series...if not they're 8th and we're 9th...bring jaybo with you jacques...

Why is he a downgrade from Guy?

he isn't. stats alone prove that one.

There is no downgrade from Carbo, he was terrible. That said I am on the fence about this decision, I know little about Martin however with all the available coaches in the league such as Quinn, Crawford, Hartley, Torts we go and sign a defensive guy with an average track record? Yes I know Torts (who would have been awesome) and Quinn were off the list however Crawford was still there. My concern now is if this guy is so defensive minded, how will he fair on a speedy offensive based team like ours? Does not matter right, because the man speaks French. :rolleyes:

i'm worried that his style has the potential to be a snoozefest but when he took ottawa to the conference finals alfie's line was the most potent offensively in the league. i'm not overly concerned about him stifling our young offense.

Word is Mario Tremblay will be named an assistant coach of the Canadiens...

:lol: i thought that was only if roy was coach.

I am beyond pissed, I think I've lost all faith in Bob. What is this guy, a proven loser? Only playoff series he won were against the leafs? Its his style system we need to get away from, Roy should have been made the coach, not this guy. I'm very, very disappointed.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I’m not a fan of this signing right now, but I’m not closing the door either. Martin is a defensively sound developmental coach. It’s obvious if you’ve watched the teams he’s coached and seen the development of the players he’s coached. He’s never won when it counted. Lots of regular season success but gets out-coached in the playoffs. Experienced? Yup. Success? Nope. He can’t seem to push his teams to the level necessary to win the cup. He understands the pressure cooker of the Canadian market, and more importantly, the Canadiens market, and he has the disposition to handle the circus that is Montreal. I’m sure Gauthier had influence in this decision. Gauthier, Timmins, Martin….what are we, the Montreal Senators ;)? That is not necessarily a good thing. Most of the things that were the major concerns on this board for most of the year last year, however, should get addressed with Martin (defensive system, overall system, clearing the zone, shots on goal, discipline etc.). It will be interesting to see how this pans out over the course of the season, not just at the beginning when players are trying to impress the new coach.

Hmmm….I wonder when the Bouwmeester and Hossa rumours will start?

I'm really tired about the way that the canadiens never listen to their fans, i mean at least 80,90% of us would have love to see Bob Hartley coach the canadiens and then Bob Gainey doesn't even give him a call.

Theres no words to describe how bad i can't wait to see a new administration with this team.

Yes that`s what we need a management team that reads Internet forums for ideas.

Okay the guys on the HFBoard claim Jacques and Tremblay will be at this press conference, possibly to discussion assistant coach. I do not know much about Jacques however if he joins Koivu is officially done with Montreal in my opinion and Tremblay? Oh good god...

Jacques Lemaire that is

From Wikipedia:

Well there is a fair amount of difference because Crawford overall had better teams. Martin had some excellent talent in Ottawa, but never a complete team. In florida it was even worse. Crawford had some phenomenal teams in Colorado and some very good teams in Vancouver. The team in LA was horrible & his coaching wasnt particularly strong.

I dont think win/loss stats are very fair to compare coaches.

I think a little defense may be nice...Ask our goalies if they would like too see fewer shots.

Okay the guys on the HFBoard claim Jacques and Tremblay will be at this press conference, possibly to discussion assistant coach. I do not know much about Jacques however if he joins Koivu is officially done with Montreal in my opinion and Tremblay? Oh good god...

Jacques Lemaire that is

Hrm. This is odd.

I dont see Jacque Lemaire coming on board, but I suppose you never know. Tremblay, as much as I disliked him as head coach, has spent 9 years as an assistant - he might surprise a few people with his ability in that capacity. Im not saying that we should forget the mess he got us into during the 90s but if he has indeed become a great assistant coach then we'd be cutting our nose to spite our faces in not at least considering him.

I am beyond pissed, I think I've lost all faith in Bob. What is this guy, a proven loser? Only playoff series he won were against the leafs? Its his style system we need to get away from, Roy should have been made the coach, not this guy. I'm very, very disappointed.

roy?? head coach?? why?! :blink: he would clash with the players, guaranteed to lose the locker room after the 1st blow out...roy should be goalie coach and thats about it...

Archived