The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs New Goalie Coach.. Who Do You Like???

With Rollie being shown the door i guess its time to speculate who will take charge of our kids next season.

My choice ( should he decide to hang them up) would be Kolzig. He apparently already has a good relationship with Carey. Roy would have been my first choice but apparently he's sticking with his junior team.

Speaking of François Allaire, Pierre Maguire said on Team 990 that François Allaire had asked for permission to the Ducks to speak to three Eastern conference teams. Could the Habs be one of them?

Speaking of François Allaire, Pierre Maguire said on Team 990 that François Allaire had asked for permission to the Ducks to speak to three Eastern conference teams. Could the Habs be one of them?

The 3 teams are the Maple Leafs, the Canadiens and the Rangers

So i guess the habs are one of them lol.

Roy turned down a head coaching job in Colorado - he aint coming here to be a goalie coach.

Kolzig may have a nice working relationship with Carey already but he's also an inexperienced goalie coach. We've seen over the past decade & a half what happens with inexperienced coaches: they can have the best ideas in the world but when the chips are down they usually have growing pains. That is NOT what Price needs right now.

Allaire would probably be a dream but when it comes to goalie coaches its very tough to say. I mean Until last year if you asked most knowledgeable fans in the NHL who the best goalie coach was many would have said Melanson. I still think Melanson may be a great goalie coach - I mean aside from Aebischer who sort of self-destructed, Melanson made every goalie we had before price look better than they probably were. Price's style just didnt jive with rollie - and for that reason I fully agree with letting him go...but for that reason, Im still not entirely sure who would be a great goalie coach.

Hopefully with some experience on our coaching team now, they will come up with the right man for the job.

How can anyone say Kolzig or Roy? Does anyone here have any clue as to how either of them can coach professional level goaltenders? Anyone?

Assistant/goalie coaches are too hard to make assumptions about. We have next to no details of their coaching style, their effectiveness and other related qualities.

You are correct to some extent. Its impossible to predict someones teaching style. All you can do is factor in past results from that particular individual and hope he has the teaching skills to relay them to his students. Both Roy and Kolzig are ( or might be in Kolzig's case ) recently retired and still have a lot of first hand insight on many of todays snipers. I see this as a huge advantage over an older ex goaltender with teaching experience yet out of touch with today's players. I guess what i'm trying to say is that,,,the risk might be worth the reward. I agree with everybody in here who doesnt want an inexperienced guy as a head coach,,,,,, but as an assistant??

You are correct to some extent. Its impossible to predict someones teaching style. All you can do is factor in past results from that particular individual and hope he has the teaching skills to relay them to his students. Both Roy and Kolzig are ( or might be in Kolzig's case ) recently retired and still have a lot of first hand insight on many of todays snipers. I see this as a huge advantage over an older ex goaltender with teaching experience yet out of touch with today's players. I guess what i'm trying to say is that,,,the risk might be worth the reward. I agree with everybody in here who doesnt want an inexperienced guy as a head coach,,,,,, but as an assistant??

Thats not really the issue I'm addrssing, I could care less about experience if the guy can get the job done, the problem is that people assume a guy will be a good coach.... just because.

Big difference between being a good player and being a good coach, in fact its usually the mediocre players who end up being the best coaches. If Kolzig is a good people person, has a great ability to teach and can handle a young goalie staff at the NHL level then write the paperwork up. However without interviewing him, without knowing of anything directly related to those desired qualities, how can we make any sort of assumption like that?

Thats not really the issue I'm addrssing, I could care less about experience if the guy can get the job done, the problem is that people assume a guy will be a good coach.... just because.

Big difference between being a good player and being a good coach, in fact its usually the mediocre players who end up being the best coaches. If Kolzig is a good people person, has a great ability to teach and can handle a young goalie staff at the NHL level then write the paperwork up. However without interviewing him, without knowing of anything directly related to those desired qualities, how can we make any sort of assumption like that?

I would certainly hope that we didnt make that assumption. Management should gather all the information available,, including interviewing people familiar with the candidate, before making a choice. There is info available on everybody out there,,,,, its just a question of doing the due diligence. There is no guarantee that whoever the habs hire will succeed or fail at his job. Because somebody had success with another team doesnt mean he's an automatic clinch to do likewise in a different environment. IMO its a bit of a crapshoot and i wouldnt dismiss guys like Kolzig or Roy simply because they have no NHL experience. If this were a head coaching position, then by all means,,, NHL experience is a must.

I would certainly hope that we didnt make that assumption. Management should gather all the information available,, including interviewing people familiar with the candidate, before making a choice. There is info available on everybody out there,,,,, its just a question of doing the due diligence. There is no guarantee that whoever the habs hire will succeed or fail at his job. Because somebody had success with another team doesnt mean he's an automatic clinch to do likewise in a different environment. IMO its a bit of a crapshoot and i wouldnt dismiss guys like Kolzig or Roy simply because they have no NHL experience. If this were a head coaching position, then by all means,,, NHL experience is a must.

Actually experience doesn't mean that much to me for an NHL coach, what I want is guys who can coach well... period. So I just want to see clear evidence that any candidates mentioned can be good coaches, thats all I'm really trying to say.

I would certainly hope that we didnt make that assumption. Management should gather all the information available,, including interviewing people familiar with the candidate, before making a choice. There is info available on everybody out there,,,,, its just a question of doing the due diligence. There is no guarantee that whoever the habs hire will succeed or fail at his job. Because somebody had success with another team doesnt mean he's an automatic clinch to do likewise in a different environment. IMO its a bit of a crapshoot and i wouldnt dismiss guys like Kolzig or Roy simply because they have no NHL experience.

Thank you.

Archived