The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Gms Have 'no Appetite' To Remove Headshots, But Find Time To Toot Their Own Horns

tmash

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280695

So the GMs have agreed that the players request to ban headshots is unreasonable. While the players, who are the ones risking lifelong repercussions from the shots want something done, the GMs have 'no appetite' as they fear it will reduce hitting (something that hasn't happened in the CHL, despite what Burke says).

But they got the silly matter about player safety out of the way so they could deal the issue we all care about: the lack of a "GM of the Year" Award. Even ignoring the fact that this award is a worse idea than the "Coach of the Year" since GMs cannot be judged on a year to year basis, and that the Stanley Cup is really the "best GM award", with everything going on right now was this really the time to bring this up?

How does it make the game less exciting to ban players from hitting other players in the head? The NFL instituted the same rule to protect QBs and it doesn't detract from the game. In fact, it enhances the game by keeping the star players healthier.

I agree with Jed. Epic fail.

How does it make the game less exciting to ban players from hitting other players in the head? The NFL instituted the same rule to protect QBs and it doesn't detract from the game. In fact, it enhances the game by keeping the star players healthier.

I agree with Jed. Epic fail.

On the NFL thing, that mov did not come without criticism. Some fans, media were in a bit of an uproar, saying they were babying the players and taking away from the physicality of the game.

We haven't seen the results yet in the NFL, the rule is too new, its like the new NHL I think this year we finally got to see the true results of the rule changes, not too crazy scoring but just enough for excitement and still good hockey.

Especially with the new rules about hitting QB's in the knees, we'll evaluate in 3 years and see what defensive lineman and coordinators are saying about it.

I am not sure I am too wound up about it. It appears to me intended head shots are still intended to be out of the game, but the assessment will be made post game via video review by the League. If they apply themselves diligently and consistently in that regard, the head shots will be dealt with adroitly (I think? :mellow: ), and hopefully harshly, where warranted. That should continue (start?) to have an impact on player decision making and player carelessness ("careless disregard ....").

The League still has full capability to address even the "non calls" (no penalty call at the time), via post-game video review.

I suppose if they could all feel comfortable that the ref's would make the right calls on hits in the area of the head every time, they might be for amending the rules for them to apply. They are clearly fearing "phantom calls". That's my read, anyway.

It's a game of some judgment making at fairly high speeds of play. Even for the ref's.

Now, if they could only address the rule book and make diving on a puck in your own crease and covering it up a penalty, that'd be a start! :lol: (They can call it the "hey, that Zetterberg is a whale of a player, but come on, we can't even let him get away with that" rule, or the "well, that Zetterberg is a whale of a player, but he ain't the goalie" rule.)

Innis, head shots are perfectly legal. Unless there is an elbow, the hit is late, it's boarding or some other infraction the NHL can't suspend someone or do anything because as of now, nailing your shoulder into some guys head is as much a part of the game as passing the puck.

insanity!

i saw ken holland weigh in on the topic on 'off the record' last night and he really didn't have anything interesting to say in the matter. he agreed with the gms, saying that by regulating head shots they'd be encouraging players to play with their heads down...then you'd have a bunch of guys running around the ice with their head's down... :huh:

but at least the 'gm award' made me laugh. i'm all for a awarding gms a prize, if they're presented at the razzies. :lol:

I am not sure I am too wound up about it. It appears to me intended head shots are still intended to be out of the game, but the assessment will be made post game via video review by the League. If they apply themselves diligently and consistently in that regard, the head shots will be dealt with adroitly (I think? :mellow: ), and hopefully harshly, where warranted. That should continue (start?) to have an impact on player decision making and player carelessness ("careless disregard ....").

The thing about post-game discipline, though, is that it's almost never as much of a real detriment to the team as an in game penalty would be.

Take this hypothetical situation: It's game four of the finals, 2-2 tie in the third period. Hossa is coming up the boards, gets a pass in his skates and has his head down trying to control it. Matt Cooke sees this and absolutely levels him with a "clean" hit to the head that's legal under today's rules. Hossa's out for at least a game, maybe the series.

Under the current system, say they review it and find that Cooke was intentionally trying to injure him. Even in the absolute worst case, say they give Cooke a 3 game suspension and a whatever thousand dollar fine. Really, it's no biggy; the loss of Hossa far outweighs the loss of Cooke, and he's already a millionaire so the fine's useless. Not much of a disincentive, really.

Now instead, say they call a 5 minute major for a headshot. Detroit scores the go-ahead goal on the power play and suddenly they're up 3-1 in the series. Now THAT sounds like something I don't want if I'm Matt Cooke, so maybe I'd think twice before lining up the vulnerable star player.

edit: I should also add that the league's had...shall we say, 'questionable' judgement when it comes to suspending star players. Better to leave this in the hands of the refs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280695

So the GMs have agreed that the players request to ban headshots is unreasonable. While the players, who are the ones risking lifelong repercussions from the shots want something done, the GMs have 'no appetite' as they fear it will reduce hitting (something that hasn't happened in the CHL, despite what Burke says).

But they got the silly matter about player safety out of the way so they could deal the issue we all care about: the lack of a "GM of the Year" Award. Even ignoring the fact that this award is a worse idea than the "Coach of the Year" since GMs cannot be judged on a year to year basis, and that the Stanley Cup is really the "best GM award", with everything going on right now was this really the time to bring this up?

Wow. It seems the reputation the NHL has for their unwritten code of conduct or their high level of sportsmanship only goes only so far as the players.

Well other pro leagues do have Executives of the Year awards so its not exactly out of the blue tooting their own horns.

That's all well and fine, but an issue concerning the well-being of the players, who bring in the money to pay these guys, should take precedence.

Well, I do like the idea of a post-game video suspension, as in my minor hockey (OMHA Bantam) there is a "head check" rule, which is a 2min penalty and a 10 min misconduct. The rule is horrible, because often a tall kid will hit a short kid, and get called on a head check. (picture chara hitting marty st.louis)

Well, I do like the idea of a post-game video suspension, as in my minor hockey (OMHA Bantam) there is a "head check" rule, which is a 2min penalty and a 10 min misconduct. The rule is horrible, because often a tall kid will hit a short kid, and get called on a head check. (picture chara hitting marty st.louis)

I'm conflicted about video review for penalties because you cannot determine intent and you often see things in slow-motion which were not conscious events in real-time.

I've also been curious about how a taller person would go about body checking a shorter person without hitting head with shoulder. It seems sort of inevitable.

Well other pro leagues do have Executives of the Year awards so its not exactly out of the blue tooting their own horns.

Doesn't mean we have to like it and lose our sense of shock.

Archived