The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

If Savard Would Have Been The Owner ... Jacques Demers = Coach

AK-1

Jacques Demers avait été pressenti par Serge Savard pour revenir derrière le banc du Canadien si jamais le groupe d’hommes d’affaires dont fait partie le Sénateur s’était porté acquéreur de l’équipe.

Demers l'a confirmé en entrevue à RDS mercredi.

"C’est vrai, on y a pensé, avoue-t-il avec un sourire. Peu de gens étaient au courant. J’en avais parlé à mon épouse, mais c’était un secret."

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/275881.html

Holy cow, disaster averted. Thank god Savard pulled out.

... Jacques Demers with Eric Desjardins, Benoit Brunet & Kirk Muller behind the bench? :blink: Now that would have been a huge facepalm in the making.

Jacques Demers avait été pressenti par Serge Savard pour revenir derrière le banc du Canadien si jamais le groupe d'hommes d'affaires dont fait partie le Sénateur s'était porté acquéreur de l'équipe.

Demers l'a confirmé en entrevue à RDS mercredi.

"C'est vrai, on y a pensé, avoue-t-il avec un sourire. Peu de gens étaient au courant. J'en avais parlé à mon épouse, mais c'était un secret."

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/275881.html

Holy cow, disaster averted. Thank god for that.

... Jacques Demers with Eric Desjardins, Benoit Brunet & Kirk Muller behind the bench? :blink: Now that would have been a huge facepalm in the making.

Are you saying that Demers could have been the new coach?

true, but he could say...hey bob hire this guy or say byebye...could he not?

Well of course he could do that - but my point was that you cant really do that & expect the GM to stay.

Then again I suppose either Savard or Demers might think they could be Gms. Who knows.

So who would have been GM then? Savard?

You cant buy a team & say "this is my new coach" to the GM

You have a short memory my friend: Charles Wang told his GM who the coach was (he hired Smith and Nolan at the same time), Jay Feaster had no say in Barry Melrose, Toronto's board is apparantly heavily involved in coaching decisions (along with all others), and I'm sure there's a few other cases.

Not that this is a good way to go about it and it tends to alienate the GMs, but it isn't exactly a rare occurrence, seems to happen every season or two.

Why would we want a guy who's been out of the business for years and years? I liked Demers in the '90s, but today, no thanks. And his Cup was essentially won by his goalie.

No one ever "wanted him" except Savard were just talking about it.

Thank God Savard's out then. :D

I don't think he was "that bad" of a choice though (I'm not saying he would have been my first choice, matter a fact he was pretty far to be my choice lol) but still....

Lots of people say.... "he didn't coach a game in 11 years" "he's been away from the game" yeah that's true.... but "away from the game" the only thing he's been away from is the locker room really, he's been an analyst since 1999 so he saw the game change too, just like everybody else! It's not like he was sitting at home doing nothing all these years, he saw every single canadiens game since he retired.

Oh well anyway it's a waste of time talking about it, because it will never happen.

Oh God... I'm starting to pray Uncle George just keeps the bloody team! <_<:blink:

lol...no kidding! I was hoping for a total house cleaning once the team is sold but I didn't think we could actually be worst off. Rather keep Gainey and co., they know where they made errors and the seem on the right path to correct others.

lol...no kidding! I was hoping for a total house cleaning once the team is sold but I didn't think we could actually be worst off. Rather keep Gainey and co., they know where they made errors and the seem on the right path to correct others.

FOR REAL.

Everyone else getting involved is starting to make me think we're going to get stuck with an owner, G.M., and coach who put their own personal preference ahead of the success of the team. Watch, we will end up with our "French superstar" Daniel Briere within one week of someone like Savard taking over... Ugh... <_<

FOR REAL.

Everyone else getting involved is starting to make me think we're going to get stuck with an owner, G.M., and coach who put their own personal preference ahead of the success of the team. Watch, we will end up with our "French superstar" Daniel Briere within one week of someone like Savard taking over... Ugh... <_<

You don't know Savard much don't you? Theres simply no way that a midget who makes tons of money would play here under his command.

Anyway the Molson are gonna take over, im pretty sure that's gonna be the final result

You don't know Savard much don't you? Theres simply no way that a midget who makes tons of money would play here under his command.

Anyway the Molson are gonna take over, im pretty sure that's gonna be the final result

What they sold for 200 million they can get back for 600 million.

They must feel like morons.

It's embarassing that only a colorado billionaire was willing to invest in this province. Nothing against the guy, was a decent owner, he had an amazing business deal. They should put him in business textbooks.

What they sold for 200 million they can get back for 600 million.

They must feel like morons.

It's embarassing that only a colorado billionaire was willing to invest in this province. Nothing against the guy, was a decent owner, he had an amazing business deal. They should put him in business textbooks.

Your talking about the older generation of the Molson family and yes im sure they feel like morons.

And no it's not embarassing at all that "only" an american millionaire (do some research George Gillet was not a billionaire when he bought the team and i doubt he is right now) bought the team because.... they never said to us that the ".... team" was practically free, that the Quebec pension fund was backing up 140,000,000$ on a 181 million dollar deal.

If that would have been public knowledge many, many buyers would have step up to the plate, i mean common who wouldn't want the most successful hockey club of all time for 41 million dollars canadian?!

Archived