The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Speculation: Dany Heatley

gracie12

From TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281356

Despite only being one year into his contract extension with the Ottawa Senators, Dany Heatley apparently wants out.

According to a report on ESPN, The 28-year old who signed a six-year, $45 million contract extension with the team in October of 2007 - that includes a no-trade clause - has informed the team of his desire to move.

Senators general manager Bryan Murray has seen his club go downhill since they appeared in the Stanley Cup Final in 2007.

In the 2007-08 season, the Senators had a hot-start, but then had a brutal second-half of the season and held on to seventh place in the Eastern Conference, only to get swept by the Pittsburgh Penguins.

This past season, the Senators never really got it going, and missed the playoffs.

In order to deal Heatley, Murray would have to find a team with the room to take on the final five seasons of Heatley's contract that would count for $7.5 million per season against the salary cap.

Heatley notched 39 goals and 33 assists in 82 games last season. The 72 points were his lowest point totals in his four seasons with the Senators.

Heatley, who had back-to-back 50 goal seasons in 2005-06 and 2006-07, is believed to be interested in going to a Western Conference team.

-------------------------

If this is true, Id be seeing what we could possibly do to get this guy on our roster.

He'd have to waive his no-trade clause to come here. Fat chance, I dare say. :(

Interesting report. If it turns out to be true it could, honestly, be Ottawa's saving grace. They need to start changing the makeup of their player salaries or they are going to be screwed in a season or two. This might pave the way to signing some good d-men and secondary scoring for Ottawa. They already have a first line with Spezza and Alfreddson... They could succeed without Heatley.

Interesting report. If it turns out to be true it could, honestly, be Ottawa's saving grace. They need to start changing the makeup of their player salaries or they are going to be screwed in a season or two. This might pave the way to signing some good d-men and secondary scoring for Ottawa. They already have a first line with Spezza and Alfreddson... They could succeed without Heatley.

agreed. not a chance he opts to come to mtl but i would take him over spezza or alfredsson anyday.

i hate it when reports like this are released because it really puts the gm at a disadvantage - knowing he has to get rid of a great player. hopefully, he can find a nice deal to get him over to the west. la is still building a team. ;)

btw mods, there are two threads for this discussion now. the other is in the around the league section. (not sure if it warrants a 'report a post' though).

I've got to agree with you here. As nice as it would be to dream I don't see him waiving his NTC to come to Montreal, especially given that he wants to go out West. We're really not much farther along in development than Ottawa... Heatley himself might change that, but I doubt he'd take that into account very much when making his decision.

On a side note, you'd have to be pretty ticked off at this if you're a Sens fan. Even though it might (as you say) end up better for their team in the long term, this is still a pretty classless move if it's true. One year into a six year contract that he himself signed, and now that things aren''t looking as rosey he wants out? And even if he does, he should at least keep it from being public knowledge. Murray's hands are basically tied now since it won't be good for the team if he sticks around, and I'm betting he could have gotten a LOT more for Danny Heatley about 2 hours ago compared to now.

I've got to agree with you here. As nice as it would be to dream I don't see him waiving his NTC to come to Montreal, especially given that he wants to go out West. We're really not much farther along in development than Ottawa... Heatley himself might change that, but I doubt he'd take that into account very much when making his decision.

On a side note, you'd have to be pretty ticked off at this if you're a Sens fan. Even though it might (as you say) end up better for their team in the long term, this is still a pretty classless move if it's true. One year into a six year contract that he himself signed, and now that things aren''t looking as rosey he wants out? And even if he does, he should at least keep it from being public knowledge. Murray's hands are basically tied now since it won't be good for the team if he sticks around, and I'm betting he could have gotten a LOT more for Danny Heatley about 2 hours ago compared to now.

another cry baby millionaire wants out of his contract and gets to decide where he goes. i agree his value just plummeted. If he kept it quiet, and let Murray work the phones, it would have been better for the Sens. If I were Murray, I would say "you signed the contract and until we find a deal that works for the Sens, you will be a senator." If it takes until next years trading deadline so be it.

Possibly, but its tough to say. Its possible that all he wants is some direction & if Gainey & Martin can start showing that we indeed have that, then you never know.

The chance of him landing here is slim to none - heck we've got no one left to trade!! - but he would certainly solve some problems if Gainey could somehow pull it off.

What a character guy! :lol:

another cry baby millionaire wants out of his contract and gets to decide where he goes. i agree his value just plummeted. If he kept it quiet, and let Murray work the phones, it would have been better for the Sens. If I were Murray, I would say "you signed the contract and until we find a deal that works for the Sens, you will be a senator." If it takes until next years trading deadline so be it.

At the end of the TSN article Murray pretty much says that.

It would ROCK to have Heatley wearing a CH but there is no chance Ottawa would trade him here (unless it's set up in a 3 way trade).

We have a ton of cap space and could afford him but as I said Ottawa would be foolish to send a 50 goal man to a division rival. As gullible as murray is I can't see it...but would LOVE IT!

We have only so many tradeable assets.

Why would we pick up a LW? A LW offensive forward is the position at which we're strongest of all the positions.

Pacioretty

Higgins

AK46, SK74, Latendresse all seem to play both wings.

If we give it all we've got (captain), we should compensate for our weakest points to get the maximum marginal return, a large offensive center, or a defensive D-man.

Also, Heatley is 31. The decline begins just about now. For the amount of cap space Heatley will cost, we can almost sign Havlat, Gaborik or Hossa, who are all 3-4 years younger, and won't cost assets, and I they play RW where we are weaker.

We have only so many tradeable assets.

Why would we pick up a LW? A LW offensive forward is the position at which we're strongest of all the positions.

Pacioretty

Higgins

AK46, SK74, Latendresse all seem to play both wings.

If we give it all we've got (captain), we should compensate for our weakest points to get the maximum marginal return, a large offensive center, or a defensive D-man.

Also, Heatley is 31. The decline begins just about now. For the amount of cap space Heatley will cost, we can almost sign Havlat, Gaborik or Hossa, who are all 3-4 years younger, and won't cost assets, and I they play RW where we are weaker.

He turned 28 in January.

What are the chances that Ottawa would want to dance with a divison rival (MtL)?

Chances = zero

If Heatley had been smart and kept his mouth shut, telling only Murray that he wanted a trade, then yes, you would be correct.

By putting Ottawa in a position where they MUST move him - and the whole league knows it - I would say that all bets are off. Ottawa will make the best deal for Ottawa. It doesnt matter where he goes, they are going into a rebuild mode & probably wont be competitive for a couple of years anyway.

Danys on his way here, mark my words. I hate the senators and everyone that wears the jersey, but hes the only one that garners any respect from me out of them. We have ludicrous amounts of spending money, and I love the Kostitsyns but somehow I dont think Gainey does, I can see one of them and probably Higgins and draft pick(s) going to ottawa for him, maybe a different package but thats how I see it. Bob is definitely on the phone, I'd put money on it. Plus with Jacques now our coach? Yep. Done deal.

Archived