The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Which Current Habs Player Will Have A Breakout Season Next Year?

patinwoody

All right, look into your crystal ball and tell me who you think will have a 'breakout' F-I-N-E season with the Canadiens this upcomming season?

Here are my picks:

- Carey Price will rebound from his subpar sophomore last season and be more solid. With new coach Jacques Martin more defensive style of play, this will help Price. Also a new goalie coach will give a new spark.

-Alex Tanguay resigns with the Canadiens. Plays more than 50 games. Averages 70-80 points? Is that wishful thinking? We will see. (All depends if we sign Lecavalier or how he plays under coach Martin's defensive system).

-On a person best, Yannick Weber makes the club, but does not play in all games.

I think Andrei Kostitsyn is our most likely candidate to "break-through" next season. He has more well-rounded tools and ability than the other young players on our roster to create opportunities for himself. I fully expect, given the chance, that he will score more than 30 goals next season and total around 65 points. That, for me, will count as a break-through. I also think we can expect continued improvement from Guillaume Latendresse, but I'm not sure if his totals from next season will constitute a "break-through." I guess we will have to wait and see.

I don't believe Price will have a great campaign next season. This is because I feel our lack of defensive depth is going to hurt our game, a lot. Price might play very well, but I don't believe he's going to have a great win/loss ratio.

Higgins is going to have a rebound year and score 26 goals, 32 assists, but because we'll have only signed him for a year we'll lose him to free agency after he asks for a big raise.

Latendresse has a good year 27 goals, 19 assists.

Chipchura will silence all the doubters.

I have too agree with Jennifer Rocket, I think that Andrei Kostitsyn will have a breakout year next year....the guy has all the makings, the speed the skill and the shot to score around 30 goals if not more, and 60 points or 70 points...Hopefully Martin will play him with a good playmaking center and hopefully Martin will break Kostitsyn away from Kovalev....Also Kostitsyn will have a fresh start and not have to contend with the Montreal media this season

If Guilliaume Letendresse continues too improve like he did last season, and if he can stay injury free, he may be able to have a 20 to 25 goal campaign

With Carey Price it all depends...if Montreal can get a goaltending coach or pick up a veteran back up goalie who can work closely with Price and make sure that he does not spend half the night on his knees then Price may be able to have a break out year as well...otherwise Price will be in the same boat as last season

Other guys that have a chance at break out seasons are Sergei Kostitsyn, Max Pacioretty, Matt D'Agostini, (depending on if Alex Tanguay and Alexei Kovalev get resigned), Yannick Weber (depending if Mathieu Schneider gets resigned) and depending on how Carey Price plays, Jaroslav Halak may also have a chance at being a break out player

I hope at least a handful have "breakout" seasons.

Goalie: c'mon Carey Price put your critics to rest. Take care of yourself, find a comfort zone with regards to style (come out of the net, please), and find some consistency.

Offense: the one I'll be cheering for the most is Andrei Kostitsyn. I'd like him to put the media debacle behind him. If the new coach gives the most minutes to the best players, unlike the other coach, than hopefully AK can put the puck in the net left and right.

Defense: I hope Ryan O'Byrne finds his game especially if Komisarek leaves. I think O'Byrne has more potential than Komisarek frankly. He plays a physical game and has more of an offensive game. If Komisarek would happen to stay and O'Byrne develops into a top four D that would be terribly sweet. It would help Hamrlik tremendously IMO as he will have a consistent D partner instead of a name pulled out of a hat every shift.

Offense: the one I'll be cheering for the most is Andrei Kostitsyn. I'd like him to put the media debacle behind him. If the new coach gives the most minutes to the best players, unlike the other coach, than hopefully AK can put the puck in the net left and right.

+1. i would like nothing more than to see andrei kostitsyn live up to his potential next season.

+1. i would like nothing more than to see andrei kostitsyn live up to his potential next season.

+2; We have a coach who is known to work well with the youth and all the distractions from last year will be behind him. Based on the players we currently have, I think AK46 will end up being our leading point getter for next season (80pts).

Yep,some of the names metioned in the above posts + others who have not been mention yet need to have a much improved season,compared to a disappointing/lacking performance as last yr.

Of course,baring injuries.

So,it's not just "A current player,but players".

I think O'Byrne might find his game under Martin. O'Byrne definately had an off year, but I think he can rebound and have a solid season as a 4 to 6 d-man.

If that happens i hope you realize how bad our D would have to be for him to end up 4th d man.

Hoping for AK46 to hit 30 goals, and I think Gorges might start picking up more points (possibly to Hamrlik-like totals?).

EDIT: I wrote that Max might get 15 goals and 40 points... forgot that he already HAS!

Also, I'm thinking the structure of a new coach will help Sergei Kostitsyn get Lapierre-like totals this year.

Laraque will score a goal!

I have high hopes for Ryan O'Bryne and Guillaume Latendresse, but I feel Andrei Kostitsyn will have the biggest season of all currently signed.

I don't think Sergei Kostitsyn will have a very good season, nor do I have high hopes for D'agostini or Chipchura, and I don't think Pacman or Weber will have a full time spot on the roster, so I won't say anything about them.

I don't know about Price, because it depends on the team that is playing in front of him.

Archived