The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

What Would It Take To Get Roberto Luongo.

patinwoody

Hypothetically speaking, who would the Canadiens have to give up to obtain Roberto Luongo from Vancouver? I would love to see Luongo in his home town. Someone was telling me Luongo received plenty of heat from Vancouver fans after losing in the playoffs to Chicago. He is Vancouver's best player. I doubt a trade like this would ever happen, but hypothetically speaking, let's make Vancouver a deal they can not resist.

Here's my scenario:

Luongo for Carey Price.

Vancouver would want someone else. Vancouver would get the upside with a young promising goaltender.Price is also from the B.C area. Luongo is only 30, he has some years in the tank left. But we would definately have to add more players into the mix for this 'hypothetical' trade to happen. Any suggestions? Would anyone be against a trade for Luongo?

i hope luongo doesnt come here for many reasons

-he is only signed for 1 year as habsfan pointed out

-he is 30 and probably has 5-6 more good years in him

and if we give away price we give away our future

sure price had a bad year but the whole team did and it didnt help being his sophmore year(sophmore slump)

price is an amazing goaltender who needs some more confidance and a veteran back up to show him the ropes not another 20 year old

maybe if louongo was 25-26 id take him but now no way

if we are to get it id have to be something like

pleck a 1st round pick and price for louongo and kesler(couldnt help it)

I'd give up almost anything....ALMOST. Price, Halak, O'Byrne, Plekanec, Higgins, Hamrlik....all can leave, throw in a couple picks, what the heck. I think Price is a bum! Shoulda stayed in the minors for 2 or 3 years. He's had 1 decent season, 1 crap season, and everyone's talkin' like he's our future saviour....like he's a god. If he's our future, and keeps playin' like he has, I think we may be in trouble. Luongo would help for the next few years, until one of our goalie prospects come up. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, prove me wrong Carey, prove me wrong.

I'd give up almost anything....ALMOST. Price, Halak, O'Byrne, Plekanec, Higgins, Hamrlik....all can leave, throw in a couple picks, what the heck. I think Price is a bum! Shoulda stayed in the minors for 2 or 3 years. He's had 1 decent season, 1 crap season, and everyone's talkin' like he's our future saviour....like he's a god. If he's our future, and keeps playin' like he has, I think we may be in trouble. Luongo would help for the next few years, until one of our goalie prospects come up. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, prove me wrong Carey, prove me wrong.

and all the guys who were talking about fluery like that are now eating crow...the guy has been in the league for 2 seasons, he's had 2 playoff appearences and two playoff elminations...hmm how long has bobby lou been in the league?? how many playoff appearences and eliminations?? give me a break, youd throw halak and price away for some guy who let in 7 goals in the game he got eliminated in?? against the black hawks?? and your throwing price under the bus for letting in what? 5 goals in his worst game against this seasons boston team?? hahaha dude re-evaluate what youre saying!

I dont have to re evaluate what I'm saying at all, as its my opinion. You dont think the Blackhawks have a good team?? Uh...OK. A goalie who lets in goal after goal (after goal, after goal...) from pretty near the blue line, I dont think is NHL calibre/ready, IMO. I realize the rest of the team didnt do a great job helping him out, but still, some of those goals....holy hell. And playoff appearences/eliminations...that means Price is better than Luongo in your opinion? I'd take Luongo over Price ANYDAY, but thats just ME. After a few years, one of our goalie prospects can come up, then there we go. I'll try eating anything once, even crow ;)AS I SAID..... prove me wrong Carey.

I dont have to re evaluate what I'm saying at all, as its my opinion. You dont think the Blackhawks have a good team?? Uh...OK. A goalie who lets in goal after goal (after goal, after goal...) from pretty near the blue line, I dont think is NHL calibre/ready, IMO. I realize the rest of the team didnt do a great job helping him out, but still, some of those goals....holy hell. And playoff appearences/eliminations...that means Price is better than Luongo in your opinion? I'd take Luongo over Price ANYDAY, but thats just ME. After a few years, one of our goalie prospects can come up, then there we go. I'll try eating anything once, even crow ;)AS I SAID..... prove me wrong Carey.

i didnt say he was better but he isnt really any worse...and did you see some of the goals bobby lou let in?? quite a few of prices goals were off the odd man rush and goal after goal from the blue line? :blink: you mean every goal that the habs scored against tim thomas?? lol...so tim thomas must not be nhl ready either because im pretty sure the majority of the goals the habs scored on him were from near the blue line and a couple of the goals he let in during the canes series were from near the blue line too...robert luongo let some really sloppy goals himself it doesnt mean that price is better, but with his record compared to price's i wouldnt make the exchange because we don't know what price's potential is yet and luongo's records isn't all that better in my opinion...he might have great regular season stats but whats that done for him in the playoffs? he's not that much better than price really, in my opinon, for the simple fact that price has only been in the league for barely 2 seasons...

How sure are you that "after a few years, one of our goalie prospects can come up"? And how sure are you that the goalie won't struggle like Price is right now? And are you going to be saying the same thing about that goalie if he struggles?

Not interested.

Why would we even want a guy who plays the one position we're actually strong/deep at?

I mean we desperately need someone to play centre.

We have huge holes on defense.

We even are lacking quality wingers.

And yet, in nets, we have 2 extremely talented young goalies.

Seems like suicide to trade one of them, totally eat up cap space and then lose the guy 1 year later to free agency.

Pass.

How sure are you that "after a few years, one of our goalie prospects can come up"? And how sure are you that the goalie won't struggle like Price is right now? And are you going to be saying the same thing about that goalie if he struggles?
Well, I'm not "sure" of anything.   How sure are you, or anyone else, that Price will become the next Patrick Roy??  He could become the next Jim Carey.  Who knows.  If one of our goalie prospects are ready to make the jump a few years from now, then great, if not, then we could wait, or, theres always free agency, or the trade route.  And if THAT goalie is anything like Price has been, then, well, probably yes, I will be saying the same about him.  Again, I absolutly do not believe Price was ready for the NHL when he came, or even now for that matter.
MMW: Bastian would be worst nhl gm ever. Luongo has 1 yea left on his contract and he could be gone after that season and your willing to give Price for it?
Actually, I think I'd be a decent NHL GM, though, don't we all??  You do realize GM's do more than deal with goalies, and for me rather having Luongo than Price, you come to that conclusion?  Who's to say that after the 1 year thats left on his contract is up, he wont want to stay in Montreal, his hometown?  He's only 30, not that old, still has quite a few years left.  Plus, the fact we hardly ever throw money at superstars or anyone close to that calibre (not that we dont try to get any), I'm pretty sure we'd be able to afford him.  Never know, maybe he'd take a lower salary to play in front of his friends and family, especially if we were winning.

And about Luongo not having a good playoff record, which keeps getting brought up, do people not realize who he played for a few years back?....FLORIDA...not the greatest team.  Now he plays for Vancouver...again, not the greatest team.  I'm not saying with Luongo we'd be contenders year after year, necissarily, but I'm sure he would have a better playoff record than he has had in the past (trying not to be biased, but I do think we will have a better team this year, especially if he were to come over, than Florida or Vancouver has had in the past). I just think we would be a MUCH improved team with Luongo, and I certainly wouldnt lose any sleep over getting rid of Price, but hey, this IS a hypothetical question, right?!

Well, I'm not "sure" of anything.   How sure are you, or anyone else, that Price will become the next Patrick Roy??  He could become the next Jim Carey.  Who knows.  If one of our goalie prospects are ready to make the jump a few years from now, then great, if not, then we could wait, or, theres always free agency, or the trade route.  And if THAT goalie is anything like Price has been, then, well, probably yes, I will be saying the same about him.  Again, I absolutly do not believe Price was ready for the NHL when he came, or even now for that matter.Actually, I think I'd be a decent NHL GM, though, don't we all??  You do realize GM's do more than deal with goalies, and for me rather having Luongo than Price, you come to that conclusion?  Who's to say that after the 1 year thats left on his contract is up, he wont want to stay in Montreal, his hometown?  He's only 30, not that old, still has quite a few years left.  Plus, the fact we hardly ever throw money at superstars or anyone close to that calibre (not that we dont try to get any), I'm pretty sure we'd be able to afford him.  Never know, maybe he'd take a lower salary to play in front of his friends and family, especially if we were winning.

And about Luongo not having a good playoff record, which keeps getting brought up, do people not realize who he played for a few years back?....FLORIDA...not the greatest team.  Now he plays for Vancouver...again, not the greatest team.  I'm not saying with Luongo we'd be contenders year after year, necissarily, but I'm sure he would have a better playoff record than he has had in the past (trying not to be biased, but I do think we will have a better team this year, especially if he were to come over, than Florida or Vancouver has had in the past). I just think we would be a MUCH improved team with Luongo, and I certainly wouldnt lose any sleep over getting rid of Price, but hey, this IS a hypothetical question, right?!

so you use that for luongo, but if i say price has played his 2 seasons with 2 mediocre teams that have not been the greatest (especially this past seasons habs) then is it not safe to say that price hasn't had the chance to prove himself in the playoffs either?? i mean really?? the habs this past season just imploded they didnt really give price the chance to do much did they? and at 30 luongo getting injured starts to become a bigger risk...luongo probably has 5-6 years in him...price at 22 has 10-15 left given the proper guidance and help from a decent goalie coach that works with his strengths...thats just my opinion though

Please no.

Luongo!? <_<

The dude's an unrestricted free agent after this season and he's going to go wherever he pleases. Don't think for a minute that if we traded for him this off-season that he would stick around with Montreal beyond the summer of 2010. 'Cause he probably wouldn't.

Not to mention, we are NOT a contender and Luongo isn't going to make us one overnight.

Trade for Luongo?

No thanks.

Well, I'm not "sure" of anything.   How sure are you, or anyone else, that Price will become the next Patrick Roy??  He could become the next Jim Carey.  Who knows.  If one of our goalie prospects are ready to make the jump a few years from now, then great, if not, then we could wait, or, theres always free agency, or the trade route.  And if THAT goalie is anything like Price has been, then, well, probably yes, I will be saying the same about him.  Again, I absolutly do not believe Price was ready for the NHL when he came, or even now for that matter.

I'm not sure that Price can become the next Patrick Roy and honestly, I do believe Price was rushed up here but there's has to be a reason why Price is so hyped, and I would give him more chances to live up to that hype. And if Price really doesn't live up to the hype then there is the free agency move or trades, like you said, but I would atleast give Price more opportunities first cuz he is still young and can still learn and improve

Some posters' opinions of Luongo's playoff record seem to be pretty skewed by that one game at the end of the Chicago series. He's been pretty fantastic otherwise, every year that he's played. Does anyone remember that series against Dallas two years ago? Luongo/Turco that year was one of the greatest playoff series goalie duels I have ever seen.

Also, he's getting older? It's not like he's washed up... he's only thirty, he's playing great, and lots of goalies continue to play well even into their forties (Hasek, Khabibulin, Brodeur, etc.).

Having said that, there's no way I'd trade for him as the montreal GM for reasons other posters have already put forward:

1) Whether it be Price or someone else, you'd just have to give up WAY too much for a player with one year left on their contract.

2) If we are going to give away enough assets to land a superstar calibre player, he had better fit Montreal's needs better (CENTERMAN!!!)

i didnt say he was better but he isnt really any worse...and did you see some of the goals bobby lou let in?? quite a few of prices goals were off the odd man rush and goal after goal from the blue line? :blink: you mean every goal that the habs scored against tim thomas?? lol...so tim thomas must not be nhl ready either because im pretty sure the majority of the goals the habs scored on him were from near the blue line and a couple of the goals he let in during the canes series were from near the blue line too...robert luongo let some really sloppy goals himself it doesnt mean that price is better, but with his record compared to price's i wouldnt make the exchange because we don't know what price's potential is yet and luongo's records isn't all that better in my opinion...he might have great regular season stats but whats that done for him in the playoffs? he's not that much better than price really, in my opinon, for the simple fact that price has only been in the league for barely 2 seasons...

And that's two too many for my liking!I want my goalie to know how to skate ,not slide on his pads! :angry:

And that's two too many for my liking!I want my goalie to know how to skate ,not slide on his pads! :angry:

well im sorry, but the goalie of your dreams does not exist...if we had luongo, youd be complaining about something because we'd still be eliminated...if we had thomas, still be eliminated, heck if we had fleury we'd still be eliminated...so keep complaining because its all youre going to be able to do...and if/when price wins a cup be it with the habs or not, youre going to be complaining then too...lol

WE need to focus on our weaknesses. the Habs have glaring weaknesses on Defense and Centre. Why trade for Luongo? Price is our best prospect/ Player that has a chance of being a super star. Patience is required to run a team. We have to balance today with the future.

Trading for Luongo is so WRONG

I think there is a loss of vision concerning Price. How can anyone say that he is not nhl ready?? Dont confuse being Nhl Ready with being NHL Elite. You think that Tampa wants to move Stamkos after a lackluster season?? of course not. I am tired of hearing people say they would trade away half this team for 3 players in return. Get a clue!

The Canuks didnt give Lou the "C" last year to be moving him anywhere & No Lou is not overated ! Its not always the golies fault for a goal.

For centuries now I have been hearing that it takes Goaltending and defense to win stanley cups. It also takes a mix of solid veterans,upcomming energized youth and a WHOLE LOT OF CONFIDENCE.

Archived