The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

- Bulldogs Leaving The Yard????? -

madsprite18

Probably due to the chance of the Coyotes (or someone else) coming to Hamilton, CHML (Hamilton) radio reports that the Bulldogs are exploring moving to St John's.

Bulldogs on the move?

St. John's Telegram

6/18/2009

While we try to gain an NHL team, Hamilton may be losing its AHL team.

The owner of the Hamilton Bulldogs is expected to meet with city officials in St. John’s Newfoundland next week about possibly moving the team there.

The story is in the St John's telegram and at this point neither the team owner nor city officials will comment or confirm.

The Bulldog’s lease at Copps Coliseum has one more season to run.

The city of Hamilton pays about $2 million dollars a year to the team to cover its operating expenses.

Probably due to the chance of the Coyotes (or someone else) coming to Hamilton, CHML (Hamilton) radio reports that the Bulldogs are exploring moving to St John's.

Bulldogs on the move?

St. John's Telegram

6/18/2009

While we try to gain an NHL team, Hamilton may be losing its AHL team.

The owner of the Hamilton Bulldogs is expected to meet with city officials in St. John's Newfoundland next week about possibly moving the team there.

The story is in the St John's telegram and at this point neither the team owner nor city officials will comment or confirm.

The Bulldog's lease at Copps Coliseum has one more season to run.

The city of Hamilton pays about $2 million dollars a year to the team to cover its operating expenses.

is it normal for ahl teams to move (and change names) this much? i can barely keep track of the bulldogs...

wow. they cost $2mil to operate a year. not cheap.

as a citizen of St. John's this would be great! The Bulldogs held a training camp here last summer, and played a 3 team tournament here and where greatly received........but we've had a AHL team and lost it because the travel demands were too much. Same for the QMJHL team we had. Somehow, as much as I'd love it, this doesn't seem likely.

Uhh...I know I care about anything that has to do with the Canadiens or the Bulldogs, including the relocation of the Habs' farm team. You don't care, ok, but maybe, just maybe, others might. Senceless post. <_<

+ 1

I know I care where they go. I want the farm team going to a place that can support them and where they will have a loyal fan base to keep them intrested. St. John's could be good for that...if the city doesn't mess it up. This is the city that drove the team with the 4th highest attendance in teh Q out of town becaue they were sour that a private owner out bid them, so that jack up rental cost and gave zero % of the consessions to the team....plus, and I'm not kidding here for all you folks that have never visited this amazingly beautiful city.....there is no real parking lot for Mile One Center..... You park on the street, or you may be lucky enough to get one of the few spot in the parking complex close to the building....which can accomidate about 20% of the buildings capacity :blink:

I fans are great, we go out in snow storms to cheer on the teams....but the city itself, the actual governing body.....they could be a problem.

+ 1

I know I care where they go. I want the farm team going to a place that can support them and where they will have a loyal fan base to keep them intrested. St. John's could be good for that...if the city doesn't mess it up. This is the city that drove the team with the 4th highest attendance in teh Q out of town becaue they were sour that a private owner out bid them, so that jack up rental cost and gave zero % of the consessions to the team....plus, and I'm not kidding here for all you folks that have never visited this amazingly beautiful city.....there is no real parking lot for Mile One Center..... You park on the street, or you may be lucky enough to get one of the few spot in the parking complex close to the building....which can accomidate about 20% of the buildings capacity :blink:

I fans are great, we go out in snow storms to cheer on the teams....but the city itself, the actual governing body.....they could be a problem.

I hope the Hammer doesn't lose them but if we have to - (and we might!) - it would be good to have some AHL teams back on the East Coast - the Bulldogs director Glen Stanford originally was with the St John's M---- L------s so in some ways it would be a good fit. I think at the moment though they are justing setting up a contingency plan in case the NHL does come to Hamilton. Good on you if it goes there!

who cares?

Why waste your time and ours posting in the "In the System" thread :blink:

There are plenty other threads that might interest you :P

I remember hearing something about the Bulldogs moving to Laval as they are building a big, 3 rink arena somewhere there. Not sure if it was true though, just thought I'd pass it along.

The arena building thing in Laval is true. The Bulldogs moving here is just speculation. What the mayor said in an interview is that they had conversations with a few LHJMQ and AHL teams who might be interested in moving to Laval. No club names were ever mentionned at any moment and the statement was made in response to a question regarding whether such a venue would be used to capacity or just a white elephant.

The only problem with playing in Newfoundland is the travel. This matters to the team ownership since costs go up. Not only do they have to pay more for their own team's travel, their agreements with various leagues often include paying a portion of everyone else's travel costs.

It also wouldn't be quite as quick to get an emergency call-up to Montreal at the last minute if one was needed.

Personally I'd love to have the Bulldogs there though, but that's probably just my Atlantic bias :P

The only problem with playing in Newfoundland is the travel. This matters to the team ownership since costs go up. Not only do they have to pay more for their own team's travel, their agreements with various leagues often include paying a portion of everyone else's travel costs.

It also wouldn't be quite as quick to get an emergency call-up to Montreal at the last minute if one was needed.

Personally I'd love to have the Bulldogs there though, but that's probably just my Atlantic bias :P

Those are two big concerns. I live in St. john's, and have loved the Habs all my life, but I can still see the potential down side to it. That being said, the only reason the Fog Devils ( QMJHL) failed here was because the city provided zero help as they were somewhat bitter over being out bid for the team by private investors. With the city behind it, travel cost could be offset. The fog devils had the 3rd or 4th highest attendance in the Q during the teams years here. The city of St. John's is a great place to house a team, as it has a very 'small-community' feel to it.

Now, that being said, capacity for Mile 1 is about 6200......is that enough for an AHL team? with that calibre of hockey, you can except an average attendance of around 5000 (poor parking layout will prevent total sell-outs). And the North-East Avalon area is rapidly expanding, meaning more and more fans. Not sure how any of that factors in business-wise though.

i could see it happening, maybe they're getting worried that if an nhl team comes itll take the shine away from the dogs and less people will come...

Less people would go because they wouldn't have a place to play.

Is there some sort of rule that applies to every AHL team being 10000000000000000000km away from it's NHL team? St. Johns? Are you serious?

Put the Bulldogs in Laval for god sakes!

You would think that would make more sence. Didn't they once have a team in Quebec...the Citadelles? What ever happened to them, why'd they leave?

I'd love to see them in Laval, but that won't happen until Hamilton gets an NHL team.

So it's kinda pointless to talk about it now.

They already had a team in Quebec and moved them. I know they also that the Leafs in St.John's but they were moved because Ferguson didn't want them there, but Bill Watters said that they were doing good there, and he even help St.John's get a QMJHL team because the area was a good place for a hockey team. St. John's should get the Bulldogs.

Archived