The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2nd Outdoor Winter Classic Game

Kubby31

The Calgary Flames may be a part of the Winter Classic in 2010.

The National Hockey League and NHLPA are in discussions that would see the Flames host the second of two outdoor games on New Year's Day.

The game would be played at McMahon Stadium, the home of the Stampeders, with the possible opponent being another Canadian team

The first game is expected to be played at Fenway Park in Boston with speculation the Bruins would host the Washington Capitals.

Kinda (somewhat) interesting tidbit I just stumbled upon....the winner of the 2 Winter Classic games, Pittsburg in 2008, and Detroit in 2009, have each went on to lose in the Stanley Cup Finals of that year...huh. Here's hoping, if they even play in an upcoming WCG, that Montreal doesn't win . :P:lol:

Sounds like the CBC lobbied the NHL for a doubleheader on New Years Day with the second city being in Canada. Calgary would host in the Stamps homefield McMahon Stadium. A decision will be hopefully be made next week.

Calgary considered to host winter classic

--------------------

Proud member of makeitseven.ca

Hope you do not mine Dintrox12,that I posted yours here,ok. :D

The National Hockey League and NHLPA are in discussions that would see the Flames host the second of two outdoor games on New Year's Day.

Strange,according to Glenn Healy,director of player affairs,says in a recent interview that this is all news to the NHLPA,that the league has not contacted him about any such event.

The Calgary Flames may be a part of the Winter Classic in 2010.

The game would be played at McMahon Stadium, the home of the Stampeders, with the possible opponent being another Canadian team

The first game is expected to be played at Fenway Park in Boston with speculation the Bruins would host the Washington Capitals.

Well technically the game wouldn't be labeled a 'Winter Classic' because as far as I can tell that term was coined and owned by NBC who sponsors the New Year's Day games in the US. A game in Canada would be parallel to the Winter Classic but would just be another outdoor game like the Heritage Classic.

Well, I mean... Montreal was involved in the 1st outdoor game in a long time against Edmonton. What was that called? The Heritage Classic? You would think that the NHL's other flagship franchise would get an outdoor game, too.

I would think the Rangers get one before Toronto. Not that Toronto isn't a bigger franchise, but the Rangers is a much more marketable brand.

There may be a 3rd outdoor game,if the habs get their way.

They want one around Nov/Dec,to offically end the bicentininal yr.

Well, I mean... Montreal was involved in the 1st outdoor game in a long time against Edmonton. What was that called? The Heritage Classic? You would think that the NHL's other flagship franchise would get an outdoor game, too.

:lol: I did not mean to make it sound that other teams did not deserve a go.

There will not be a second NHL outdoor game in Calgary on January 1, 2010.

The NHL's competition committee met today in Montreal and that was one of a number of issues that was dealt with.

While there won't be a second outdoor game to follow up the currently scheduled New Year's Day game at Boston's Fenway Park, there is likely to be a second special event in a Canadian city.

Sources say that event is possibly a game at Montreal's Olympic Stadium to celebrate the Canadiens' 100th anniversary.

GO HABS. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived