The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Montreal Canadiens Have Been Sold For 550 Millions To The Molson Family.

Rocket-1

From ESPN:

The deal still needs approval from the NHL’s Board of Governors. The league needs to do due diligence on the sale and have a board vote, and a source said Saturday sale approval “will be sometime mid-summer at the earliest.”

French sports network RDS reported Saturday that the sale was worth $550 million, but a source told ESPN.com that the price was in excess of that.

From ESPN:

The deal still needs approval from the NHL’s Board of Governors. The league needs to do due diligence on the sale and have a board vote, and a source said Saturday sale approval “will be sometime mid-summer at the earliest.”

French sports network RDS reported Saturday that the sale was worth $550 million, but a source told ESPN.com that the price was in excess of that.

This is just a legal technicality, and since the Molson were once owner in the past, im sure it's gonna speed up the process.

This is just a legal technicality, and since the Molson were once owner in the past, im sure it's gonna speed up the process.

I agree, I wasn't fretting over it, merely reporting. The more intriguing part of that is ESPN saying the price could be higher. I'm curious who else was willing to go into the 500's with Molson.

I agree, I wasn't fretting over it, merely reporting. The more intriguing part of that is ESPN saying the price could be higher. I'm curious who else was willing to go into the 500's with Molson.

Canadiens sold to Molson family: report

20/06/2009 2:35:39 PM

The Montreal Canadiens have been sold to the Molson family, Montreal's La Presse reported Saturday on its website.

Citing an unnamed source, La Presse reported that the sale prices is well over $500 million.

Former Habs player and general manager Serge Savard will reportedly have an important role with the team, La Presse said, possibly as an investor.

A formal announcement is expected later Saturday.

More to come

-cbcsports

hope that answers your question as to one possible person lol who might be investing with them...if you meant going against them with their own bid in the 500s then i duno lol

Canadiens sold to Molson family: report

20/06/2009 2:35:39 PM

The Montreal Canadiens have been sold to the Molson family, Montreal's La Presse reported Saturday on its website.

Citing an unnamed source, La Presse reported that the sale prices is well over $500 million.

Former Habs player and general manager Serge Savard will reportedly have an important role with the team, La Presse said, possibly as an investor.

A formal announcement is expected later Saturday.

More to come

-cbcsports

hope that answers your question as to one possible person lol who might be investing with them...if you meant going against them with their own bid in the 500s then i duno lol

Uh,oh!If that's the case,then maybe this is a good example of "be careful what you wish for"since it probably means bye,bye Bob before too long!However,the idea of Savrd having a little(or a lot)of pull with the organization leaves me feeling at least a little bit apprehensive!

Good news! No Quebeco!

$500+ million, American. :blink: No wonder Gillette was willing to sell, he made a killing! I know the building is involved but I wouldn't have guessed the team was worth anywhere near this. It will be tough to convince the Ville de Montreal that the Bell Centre isn't worth a boatload of cash after this sale.

Anyone want to speculate what the Leafs are worth?

Finally some news from the Canadiens camp about something!

As an english speaking citizen outside of Quebec, I'm glad a more nationally associated brand owns the franchise. I was concerned that Quebecor might place more emphasis on francophone inclusions and possibly internalize the team. (Whether those concerns were justified or not isn't the question, it was just something that I was concerned about.) Molson is a recognized brand and may have more influence on a Canada wide scale, so I'm hoping we can eventually get more nationally televised broadcasts as well. I remember being able to watch my Habs on HNIC and now I'm more commonly assaulted with Leafs broadcasts.

I liked Gillette as an owner and will continue to use his products on a regular basis. I may have to switch my beverage of choice however. ;)

I can't see the Board of Governors having problems with the owners, considering the clowns with serious cash-flow problems they've let buy other teams.

Thank God that the Molson family won. These people know and understand hockey and how an ownew should act. Hire top hockey people and let them run the show. This probably menas that BG will stay on with the club for a while yet.

As an added bonus, for every contract signed by a UFA they get a free tshirt and a case of beer!!!!!

Good news! No Quebeco!

$500+ million, American. :blink: No wonder Gillette was willing to sell, he made a killing! I know the building is involved but I wouldn't have guessed the team was worth anywhere near this. It will be tough to convince the Ville de Montreal that the Bell Centre isn't worth a boatload of cash after this sale.

Anyone want to speculate what the Leafs are worth?

lol Do you seriously think that the city of Montreal didn't know that the bell center was worth a boatload?

If my memory serves my correctly, Gillette paid 12 millions in taxes for the building last year lol.

The reason why the Leafs evaluation is the highest in the league it's because they sell tickets at retarded prices and people are dumb enough to pay that price to see a mediocre product year after year.

Archived