Birth Place : Moscow, Russia
Junior Team : Dynamo Moscow 2
Position : Right Wing
Shoots : Right
Height : 6'2"

| Season | Team | League |GP|G|A|P|PIM|
|2008-2009|Dynamo Moscow 2| RUSSIA-3|76|56|54|110|130|

Source

In the fourth round, Timmins and the Canadiens ventured back overseas, reaching out to explosive scoring Alexander Avtsyn of Moscow Dynamo. The 6-foot-2 right winger had a dominant season in Russia, piling up 56 goals and 110 points in 76 games.

Source

Yeah, really... :rolleyes:

And being such an explosive offensive player I'm sure the KHL is going to be so excited to let him leave, too.

“Montreal is a very good city and a very good team; the team with the most tradition in the NHL,” said Avtsyn with some translation help from Nikolai Vakourov, the Habs’ Russian scout. “I hope to come to North America after next year.

“I play a physical style with lots of speed and a hard shot but I need to work on my game away from the puck. I will work hard to do it," added Avtsyn. "I try to play the same way that Ovechkin plays. Having the Russians around the Canadiens dressing room will definitely make it easier to be comfortable in Montreal, too.”

I for one would like to believe him. I can't wait to see him play for the Montreal Canadiens!

Listen a fourth round pick, its not like we wasted a second rounder on him or either of our third rounders, its a low risk / high reward type of gamble. I for one am excited if he is as good as his stats say we might have a steal or we might have what most teams have with a fourth rounder a bust

“Montreal is a very good city and a very good team; the team with the most tradition in the NHL,” said Avtsyn with some translation help from Nikolai Vakourov, the Habs’ Russian scout. “I hope to come to North America after next year.

“I play a physical style with lots of speed and a hard shot but I need to work on my game away from the puck. I will work hard to do it," added Avtsyn. "I try to play the same way that Ovechkin plays. Having the Russians around the Canadiens dressing room will definitely make it easier to be comfortable in Montreal, too.”

I for one would like to believe him. I can't wait to see him play for the Montreal Canadiens!

Fingers crossed! ;)

I hope its a good sign that he came here for the draft.

Was Trunev at the draft? Was Emelin? Was korneev? Was Valantenko? Id like to know if they were at their drafts to decide if by just coming over to the draft shows that they will play in the NHL. Does anyone know?

Was Trunev at the draft? Was Emelin? Was korneev? Was Valantenko? Id like to know if they were at their drafts to decide if by just coming over to the draft shows that they will play in the NHL. Does anyone know?

Maxim Trunev was not at the 2008 draft. As for the other guys I'm not sure.

As for Avtsyn to come here and not be a 1st round pick shows me his heart is to play in the NHL. Only 7 Russians were picked in this years draft and only 2 were at the draft as far as I know.

Yeah, "Imagine" is definitely the key word there DA.

Imagination and hope, and lots of it, if we expect to ever see any of the above don the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge.

And while we're at it, let's not forget Pavel "My Grandfather's Sick" Valentenko, whose disappearing act made Montreal the butt of many a joke last fall.

Personally I'm quite surprised that Gainey took another chance on a Russian, considering the current situation with the KHL and Montreal's recent string of failed Ruskie prospect signings.

But, as someone mentioned earlier, it is afterall a mid-fourth round selection we're talking about here, and considering the tiny percentage of players who make the NHL as mid-to-late round picks, I believe that the minor risk is acceptable in order to uncover a possible hidden gem.

On the plus side, the kid's numbers look frightening, even for the Russian junior circuit. Wow.

And you gotta love his size and his self-described aggressive style of play.

It's interesting that his last name ends in SYN, just like the Kostitsyn brothers, and not in OV, like the majority of Russian players.

I wonder if he's from their neck of the Russian woods, and if so, if there's any further connection, in terms of former clubs or coaches that they both played for.

Either way, welcome aboard Alex, and hope to see you soon.

He played in RUSSIA-3, is their RUSSIA-2? or is it just RUSSIA-3 and KHL

I believe there is no RUSSIA-2 lol.. its level right under the KHL. And yes, it is an extremely good sign that he showed up. Sounds like he could be over here next year!

National Hockey League (NHL) - After being picked in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, Alexander Avtsin (Montreal Canadiens) had a quick interview with sportbox.ru, Russian television website. What follows is the translation of his brief statements.

I try to play with power methods, rapidly and rigidly. I don't hold myself. I really want to be like Ovechkin. So far my biggest problem is the puck control, I have to work on that. I was picked by a strong team with a rich tradition. It's a good thing that on Montreal there are other Russians. This will accelerate my adaptation process once I'll move to North America. I plan doing that in one year.

from russain prospects.

He destroyed RUSSIA-3, so meaning he probably will be promoted to the khl. In the KHL he will develop very fast so you guys think its better to give him a year in the ahl or to the nhl? since he still might leave if we give a year in the ahl.

Archived