The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#91 - Scott Gomez

AK-1

Foolish eh? Booing your own players and having everyone fired (Brisebois, Ribeiro, Carbo, now Gainey...) is whats foolish IMO. I support my team no matter what. Every trade is a good trade, they manage the team, we are the fans. Not happy? Don't watch the games, don't buy merchandises, switch teams for all I care. I bleed BLEU BLANC ROUGE! I agree that he is overpaid as of right now, but if he turns it around playing in a hockey system where he is good at (1-4 trap that is, funny that it is Jacques Martin's system eh?) he will be worth every penny. If he doesn't... I wont boo him out of town.... I will cheer him louder and louder and louder to cheer him up. Thats being a die hard fan...

Replace higgins with who? S.Kostitsyn, Max Pac, D'Ag....... all we complained about last year is that there was no room for these guy to play. Now there is room and we still complain?!?

I respect people's opinion on these boards, don't refer to me as foolish again.

Right on! :D

The return of the Smurf line? The Smurf line part deux, Cam, Gomez and Gionta!

he not joking... our team only ended in 8th because 90% of the team had a horrible off year... plus all the injuries to major components... last years team was so much better than they showed everyone

Small,Soft and old players get injured more frequently than big ,gritty,younger players.Especially when they have no one to protect them. You can save that excuse for the next 5 yrs.Copy and paste it. ;)

After mulling this over I am starting to like it....We get younger by six years...we get a centerman who can bust in the offensive zone with tremdous speed....and can get back just as quickly for defensive zone coverage.

Make no mistake -- Gomez and Goionta had really good chemistry -- 05 - 05 gionta had 48 goals, 06 - 07 Gionta was on pace for 33 goals...Both have great speed and know its just as important to play a good defensive game..

Cammerli I think will be a dynamo...another great skater with tremendous eye hand coordination. We may be tough to contain.

Size does not matter to me it never did...Gionta and Cammerrali go to the dirty areas all the time..Just because your bigger does not mean your tougher.

They will be our offensive core for the next five years they will all be 35 or under when then contracts end...not like some of these other teams who will have players playing at 40 plus years old.

Your set up front and hopefully one of the young kids step up on the back end in the next year or to....

At the end of the day I am quite happy.

who says we need to put cammi gionta and gomez all on the same line? why have one scoring threat instead of two with cammi on the second line as a winger or a center?

Akost - Gomez - Gionta

tender - ? - cammi (i have a feeling bob will be adding a big center for our second line not plecs but who knows)

so we got AKost playing with two smaller line mates but he still adds a bit of size at 6'0 and 205 pounds

and we also got tender playing with cammi to add some size to that line so whats the big problem? you want all players to be 6'2 220 pounds or something? but i do agree we do need to get bigger DOWN THE MIDDLE so replacing plecs for a bigger center would be strongly advised but the two lines seems alright to me.

One of those players I alwase liked in the league. If you don`t look at the $$$ this is a great pick up and I firmly believe we would not have got Cam / Gionta without this signing so welcome to the Habs Scott ;)

I know, I'm happy they're on the team I was just trying to come up with a name for the line, The Smurfs Part Deux!

Chara is now Gargamel (sp?) ;)

Small,Soft and old players get injured more frequently than big ,gritty,younger players.Especially when they have no one to protect them. You can save that excuse for the next 5 yrs.Copy and paste it. ;)

what players do you like in the Habs, i'm just curious

With Cam and Gionta I'm happy with Gomez

Is this your opinion or can you actually back this up? Just as a counter argument: Latendresse, Lucic, Cole, Havlat, Stastny, Torres, Cheechoo, Pouliot, Semin, Stortini, Pisani, Olesz, J. Williams, B. Boyle, M. Koivu, Pouliot, Vrbata and Gaborik are all younger than 28 (except for Cole), at least 6'1 tall and already had serious injuries in their very young careers that lead to missing a significant number of regular season games in the recent past.

This list is not exhaustive by any means since I didn't list any defensemen.

Foolish eh? Booing your own players and having everyone fired (Brisebois, Ribeiro, Carbo, now Gainey...) is whats foolish IMO. I support my team no matter what. Every trade is a good trade, they manage the team, we are the fans. Not happy? Don't watch the games, don't buy merchandises, switch teams for all I care. I bleed BLEU BLANC ROUGE! I agree that he is overpaid as of right now, but if he turns it around playing in a hockey system where he is good at (1-4 trap that is, funny that it is Jacques Martin's system eh?) he will be worth every penny. If he doesn't... I wont boo him out of town.... I will cheer him louder and louder and louder to cheer him up. Thats being a die hard fan...

Replace higgins with who? S.Kostitsyn, Max Pac, D'Ag....... all we complained about last year is that there was no room for these guy to play. Now there is room and we still complain?!?

I respect people's opinion on these boards, don't refer to me as foolish again.

Excellent post, there's not too many die hard fans in here, but im right beside you

My kind of fan. :D I've always liked Gomez and while I'm no expert, he looks like a well thought out acquisition for our new team under a new and experienced coach. I think uncle Bob can be trusted to put together a solid team. We came very close last year, but for injuries and some growing pains. I thought Bob did an excellent job last year. Welcome Scott. We love to watch great hockey and you can play it.

Right on! :D

The return of the Smurf line? The Smurf line part deux, Cam, Gomez and Gionta!

I'm with ya! We're fighting a losing battle. They just don't get it!

Is this your opinion or can you actually back this up? Just as a counter argument: Latendresse, Lucic, Cole, Havlat, Stastny, Torres, Cheechoo, Pouliot, Semin, Stortini, Pisani, Olesz, J. Williams, B. Boyle, M. Koivu, Pouliot, Vrbata and Gaborik are all younger than 28 (except for Cole), at least 6'1 tall and already had serious injuries in their very young careers that lead to missing a significant number of regular season games in the recent past.

you said Pouliot twice,, hmmm? <_<

Common sense,dude

Common sense,dude

Right.

Young, small players are faster and thus score more goals because they skate effortless around older, bigger players because they are slower. Commons sense too I guess.

On the day of the trade I was fuming about this trade. I was not happy!!! BUT given that this was the corner stone to get Gionta and Cammalleri I am very happy. We are a better team. We have a better younger first line. We just need a few big players stepping up their game - lats and pach maybe.

Sad about Koivu. I think we can still bring him back

Gomez and Koivu got in a fight last year. After a Gomez cheap shot.

Gomez is one of the dirtiest players in the league. He's fought the likes of the following tough-guys Koivu, Kovalchuk, and Phil Kessel,.

All of which were instigated by a Gomez cheap shot.

Archived