The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Heatley To Oilers?

Sources tell Sportsnet that the Ottawa Senators have traded disgruntled all-star Dany Heatley to the Edmonton Oilers for Andrew Cogliano, Dustin Penner and Ladislav Smid.

The Senators would have needed to pay Heatley a $4 milllion bonus at 12:01 am ET on July 1.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/06/30/...y%20to%20Oilers

At the time of this post,Not a done deal yet.

Told his agent he'll sleep on it.

Not saying it will not happen,But.....

TSN:

With just mere minutes remaining before the Ottawa Senators are on the hook for a $4 million signing bonus, it looks as though Dany Heatley is no more inclined to waive his no-movement clause to facilitate a trade to the Edmonton Oilers than he was 24 hours ago.

Sources close to Heatley say he doesn’t intend to make a decision by 11:59 p.m. eastern tonight and that he’s not comfortable making a decision on the Senators’ timetable.

But until the ‘’deadline’’ actually passes, nothing is carved in stone just yet.

-----

Poor baby.

what a spoiled moron

You ask for a trade, Senms accommodate, but then you use your NMC to block the trade.

When you ask for a trade, your NMC should be meaningless.

I agree, something to talk about in the CBA, call it the Heatley rule.

He wants out, he gives a freaking list, if I recall EDM was on the list, and he still vetoes it. If I'm a sens fan if he comes back I'd boo him at every home game.

Dan Tencer of 630 CHED had this to say on his Twitter tonight, referencing a source --

Source: Meeting went OK with the Oilers(in trying to pursuade Heatley to come). It’s more about Heatley trying put the screws to Ottawa.

----

So now Dany's trying to stick it to them? This has to be a joke right? For what, looking for their best interest after you sideswipe em?

what a spoiled moron

You ask for a trade, Senms accommodate, but then you use your NMC to block the trade.

When you ask for a trade, your NMC should be meaningless.

While I agree that Heatley is a spoiled moron, I disagree with modifying the CBA, because I believe GMs should not be saved from their own stupidity. You want to throw around NMCs like they're going out of style? Fine, but be prepared for situations like this. Nothing that Heatley is doing is against the rules. He's merely using his NMC to make sure he goes where he wants to go. Is he a spoiled brat? Oh hell yes. But he didn't give himself a NMC. Bryan Murray did.

While I agree that Heatley is a spoiled moron, I disagree with modifying the CBA, because I believe GMs should not be saved from their own stupidity. You want to throw around NMCs like they're going out of style? Fine, but be prepared for situations like this. Nothing that Heatley is doing is against the rules. He's merely using his NMC to make sure he goes where he wants to go. Is he a spoiled brat? Oh hell yes. But he didn't give himself a NMC. Bryan Murray did.

I like what Moneypuck said about if you want to get out, you have to give them a list and to add to that, you can't change it

I meant logically, not that it should be a rule.

In fact, I can't really see there being any way to add it to the CBA. Since trade requests are "unofficial" and there's no rule against GMs shopping players with NMCs, I don't see any legal way you could distinguish a "trade request" from a GM simply shopping a player.

they should refuse to trade him now...thats just wack...

Then he could just show up, loaf around all year collect 7+ million on your cap. The Sens are almost held hostage here.

I meant logically, not that it should be a rule.

In fact, I can't really see there being any way to add it to the CBA. Since trade requests are "unofficial" and there's no rule against GMs shopping players with NMCs, I don't see any legal way you could distinguish a "trade request" from a GM simply shopping a player.

They have it in the MLB, being putting trade requests as "official", I'm off now but I'll find it later and post how it works.

I don't know if this has been discussed, but Heatley mentioned (as per TSN) that he was, "Blind-sided," by the Edmonton request. I mean, come on now. You asked to be traded! How can it, "Blind-side," you? The dude is showing what an exemplary, grade A jerk he is to the Ottawa organization. If I was an Ottawa fan I would boo him everytime he touched the puck this coming season. By the look of it, he might have to stay put... :lol:

I don't know if this has been discussed, but Heatley mentioned (as per TSN) that he was, "Blind-sided," by the Edmonton request. I mean, come on now. You asked to be traded! How can it, "Blind-side," you? The dude is showing what an exemplary, grade A jerk he is to the Ottawa organization. If I was an Ottawa fan I would boo him everytime he touched the puck this coming season. By the look of it, he might have to stay put... :lol:

No kidding. I wouldn't be surprised to see interest in his services decline. He's being a petulant little baby. If the sens can't manage to accomodate the big baby is there a rule against benching someone for the entire season?

Archived