The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Eddie "the Eagle" Belfour

Hes certainly got the same temper as Price.

LOL i was just going to say, is this really the guy we want mentoring Carey?

Not to disrespect him in the slightest, I don't know him personally so all I'm going by is the glimpses I see and stories I hear. I'm not saying he's a bad guy either, just probably not mentor material.

• 1 month later...

The St. Louis Blues President named former NHL goaltender Ed Belfour as a goaltending consultant on Thursday.

''Ed is one of the winningest goaltenders in National Hockey League history and we're thrilled to have him on our staff,'' said Blues President John Davidson. ''His knowledge of the position will be invaluable for our goaltenders in Peoria and our young goalies in our organization.''

The two-time Vezina Trophy winner played 18 seasons in the NHL with Chicago, San Jose, Dallas, Toronto and Florida, backstopping 963 games, posting a 484-320-125 record, a 2.50 goals against average and 76 shutouts. He currently ranks third all-time among NHL goaltenders with 484 wins, tied for ninth with 76 shutouts and tied for fourth with 88 playoff wins.

During his first full NHL season with Chicago in 1990-91, he won the Calder Trophy as Outstanding Rookie, the Vezina Trophy for the Best Goaltender and the William M. Jennings Trophy for fewest goals against. In addition, he was nominated for the Hart Memorial Trophy as Most Valuable Player.

Belfour appeared in three Stanley Cup Finals and won the Stanley Cup in 1999.

So,Ed Belfour looking to come back to the NHL.

Here's just a though,most are in agreement that having a experience vetern goaltender back-up in regards to Price would not be a bad idea,right.

Sooooooo,what do ya all think???

i don't think we should take a goalie with so many rifts in the relation with his teammates goalies. he couldn't get along with hackett and hašek in chicago as well as with turco in dallas. carey price has more than enough distractions in montral, and doesn't need belfour to spice it up even more.

besides, he is 44 and had a year off, i'm sure halak is a better goalie at the moment.

i don't think we should take a goalie with so many rifts in the relation with his teammates goalies. he couldn't get along with hackett and hašek in chicago as well as with turco in dallas. carey price has more than enough distractions in montral, and doesn't need belfour to spice it up even more.

besides, he is 44 and had a year off, i'm sure halak is a better goalie at the moment.

Well,I really do not consider Halak a veteran presence as I was hinting,and second....do not see Halak remaining in Montreal down the road.

Well,I really do not consider Halak a veteran presence as I was hinting,and second....do not see Halak remaining in Montreal down the road.

so, you would rather take (probably) a worse goalie with a bad temper just because he is a veteran?

i don't see a reason why we should trade halak. he is really decent backup, and he is cheap. there is no way we could sign a solid backup goalie for 775k US$.

so, you would rather take (probably) a worse goalie with a bad temper just because he is a veteran?

:lol:No,that's not the point I'm trying to say here,some of us,not all,would not have mined a veteran back-up goalie brought in to help Carey deal with certain aspects of the game,and where Eddie's been around the block,his name just happen to come up because Eddie wanting to come back to the league,I just through out his name,did not say ,let's go grab him...just wanted to read one's view on the subject.

i don't see a reason why we should trade halak. he is really decent backup.

I do not disagree with you,he is a decent good goalie,I believe he can be a #1 goaltender for a team out there...Let's face it,he is going to be trade bait like it or not,I see Halak going in a pk.deal...IMO

Hmmm...I heard that he became a cosultant with the Blues. Why are you talking about him coming back as a player?

Ahhhhh,because his coming back to the N.H.L. was announced around July 1st,but no details was mentioned in what capacity/role he was looking for.

Was just recently (Thursday) announced about him heading to the Blues,as a goalie consultant.

laugh.gif No,that's not the point I'm trying to say here,some of us,not all,would not have mined a veteran back-up goalie brought in to help Carey deal with certain aspects of the game,and where Eddie's been around the block,his name just happen to come up because Eddie wanting to come back to the league,I just through out his name,did not say ,let's go grab him...just wanted to read one's view on the subject.

that's perfectly fine. you just got my view on the subject ;)

Archived