The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Cammalleri Signs On With Canadiens

I'll say it right now:

This is arguably the best move Bob Gainey has made in his time as Habs GM, and certainly the best since acquiring Kovalev for a bag of pucks back in 03-04.

Love, love, love this signing.

I still think we overpaid for Gomez and Spacek, and I'm scratching my head as to why Hal Gill is a Hab, but almost all of that bad taste is wiped out by Cammalleri signing.

I like this move a lot, you all want a #1 center, this is a #1 center just entering his prime. Will he score 40 goals? Don't count on it, but if brings 30-33 and a few more assists and a top forward core of him, Gomez, the Kostityns, Pacioretty are the core for the next 5 years.

Thats a core I like.

Agreed. I have nothing but love for this signing. Cammalleri is just hitting his prime, the cap hit is very reasonable for a top-line center, and we didn't have to give him crazy term to get the deal done.

With this signing, Gainey has redeemed himself for the past 24 hours.

I'll say it right now:

This is arguably the best move Bob Gainey has made in his time as Habs GM, and certainly the best since acquiring Kovalev for a bag of pucks back in 03-04.

Love, love, love this signing.

I still think we overpaid for Gomez and Spacek, and I'm scratching my head as to why Hal Gill is a Hab, but almost all of that bad taste is wiped out by Cammalleri signing.

Wow. So now down the middle we have:

Cammaleri

Gomez

Plekanec

Lapierre.

NICE!

Yes I agree great signing but we still dont have our winger yet which bothers me id love to see us get gabby cuz i think now he would come and cuz of the injuries we might be able to get him cheaper then havlat but guess we will have to wait in see but still this was a good move to make up for "some" of his many errors as gm

I don't know how I should feel about this signing. Basically the Gomez trade and the Cammalleri signing mean no more Koivu and no more Lang in Montreal. So Bob traded and signed 2 players who are even smaller than the ones they replaced. Last year we lacked size up in the middle. Now we're even smaller. Even though I have to admit that Cammalleri is a very talented player and does extremely well at the face-off circle.

Wow. So now down the middle we have:

Cammaleri

Gomez

Plekanec

Lapierre.

NICE!

It is nice, the problem is we're now spending roughly 15-17 million (depending on what Plekanek signs for) for that group, and none of them are elite.

On its own, this is a great signing. 6 million, 5 years is reasonable nowadays for a player of his calibre.

The issue returns to Gomez, I was borderline okay with getting him under the assumption we'd fail to sign anyone else, but this signing reinforces my belief we would have been better off offering Koivu 5 million. Another case of Gainey's "million here, million there": sure Gomez is only a couple million more than Koivu would have cost, but this little bit extra everywhere starts to add up. We still don't have any major size down the middle (Gomez helps a bit, but he's still under 6 feet) and our defense looks as though it may be a patchwork.

So good signing, but the overall direction of this team concerns me, and at this point we still look weaker than last season. But there's still over 5 million in cap space (leaving enough room to sign RFAs and fill out 23 roster spots), so we'll see what Gainey does with it (may end up being Kovy).

I was listening to CKAC and they were saying that Cammalleri is not a center, he's only listed as a center but he's played as a winger the past few seasons.

That would make sense, Gainey just signed 3 centers, and he just drafted 5 centers, it wouldn't make sense for him to clog up the top 2 center positions for the next 5 years. Cammalleri will be playing on either Pleks or Gomez' wing, MMW.

................, but the overall direction of this team concerns me

http://www.habsinsideout.com/

If you can't get a big centre, get two small ones.

That's Plan B for Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey, who has lured Mike Cammalleri from Calgary with a five-year deal worth $30 million.

Cammalleri, who is 5-foot-9 and 185 pounds, 39 goals and 43 assists last season while playing left wing and centre. It was a career season for the 27-year-old who had the advantage of playing with Jarome Iginla.

If you add Scott Gomez's height and Cammalleri's height and divide by two, the results equals Saku Koivu's height and is one inch short of that of Tomas Plekanec.

I was listening to CKAC and they were saying that Cammalleri is not a center, he's only listed as a center but he's played as a winger the past few seasons.

That would make sense, Gainey just signed 3 centers, and he just drafted 5 centers, it wouldn't make sense for him to clog up the top 2 center positions for the next 5 years. Cammalleri will be playing on either Pleks or Gomez' wing, MMW.

You're correct, he lined up this year as a LW.

Ah, playing Cams as a winger makes more sense, because I was starting to wonder what the heck we were going to do with Plekanec! :)

A top line of Cammalleri-Gomez-AK46 looks pretty damn good to me.

No AK46 should not be on his natural wing,

If Kovalev is on board then then were on our way to a great season, otherwise these moves make no sense.

I wouldn't go that far. One issue would be down the middle: can Plekanek step into the #2 role? If Plekanek or Gomez is injured, is Mawell or Lapierre capable of playing top six? Another quesiton mark is goaltending, Price and Halak, could be good, could be bad. But our downfall could be defense. I'm not sure that Gainey is done here yet, but if he is, we're in trouble. Unless Martin can really get the most of Gorges and Hamrlik, having a defense of:

Markov-Hamrlik

Spacek-Gorges

Gill-Weber

is far from what a contender's defense would look like. If Ganiey could find a way to get Beauchemin or Kaberle (not sure who else is available) on board, we'd be in better shape.

Really, coming into the past few days, Gainey was doomed to fail, it didn't much matter what he did. When you go into the offseason with as many free agents as we did, then compound the problem until not offering any of them contracts early enough to possible get a discount, we basically came into the summer a team ready to build through free agency instead of a team building through the draft.

Teams need to build through the draft and then patch holes in free agency. We are basically reconstructing the whole team, and that never works. That's not to say next year has no chance: if our young players could all break out we have a shot, but that is unlikely to happen and even with Kovalev, I think this team is weaker than last seasons.

Gainey made a couple good or at least decent moves, but no matter what happened today, the team was basically guaranteed to come out looking weaker than last season, and that's why having so many free agents was never a good thing.

I wouldn't go that far. One issue would be down the middle: can Plekanek step into the #2 role? If Plekanek or Gomez is injured, is Mawell or Lapierre capable of playing top six? Another quesiton mark is goaltending, Price and Halak, could be good, could be bad. But our downfall could be defense. I'm not sure that Gainey is done here yet, but if he is, we're in trouble. Unless Martin can really get the most of Gorges and Hamrlik, having a defense of:

Markov-Hamrlik

Spacek-Gorges

Gill-Weber

is far from what a contender's defense would look like. If Ganiey could find a way to get Beauchemin or Kaberle (not sure who else is available) on board, we'd be in better shape.

Really, coming into the past few days, Gainey was doomed to fail, it didn't much matter what he did. When you go into the offseason with as many free agents as we did, then compound the problem until not offering any of them contracts early enough to possible get a discount, we basically came into the summer a team ready to build through free agency instead of a team building through the draft.

Teams need to build through the draft and then patch holes in free agency. We are basically reconstructing the whole team, and that never works. That's not to say next year has no chance: if our young players could all break out we have a shot, but that is unlikely to happen and even with Kovalev, I think this team is weaker than last seasons.

Gainey made a couple good or at least decent moves, but no matter what happened today, the team was basically guaranteed to come out looking weaker than last season, and that's why having so many free agents was never a good thing.

Great post, echoes my sentiments exactly!!

You build through young players, and tweak through FA and trades. I call it draft, develop and drain. Gainey's been here for 5 years, any GM worth their lick can build some prospects in those 5 years who can step up and deliver in high roles.

EDIT: Also I hope Carle can fill in as the 6 man instead of Weber.

Archived