The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Are You Happy Or Disappointed With The New Canadiens?

Bourne

With most of our splashing finished, I am curious of the general opinion among the fans of all the signings done today. I have posted my opinion elsewhere and I shall here...

Gomez: - Not at all, I disliked this trade the moment it was announced, and was disgusted with it when I learned all that was involved. It was a terrible trade which allowed New York to move from a bubble team to a top level contender as they have now replaced Gomez's ridiculous contract with a reason Gaborik contract. The only positive is Gomez seems like a good guy.

Spacek: - I am indifferent here. I like that we have acquired a solid defenseman who will support Markov on the blueline and who is a significant improvement over what we have had last season in Schneider and Komisarek. His age however concerns me, given we our on the hook guaranteed for three years.

Gill: - A huge downgrade from Komisarek and seeing we have Weber and O'Byrne attempting to breach the roster, I cannot fathom why we wasted money of Gill. That said he will be a roleplayer defenseman, perhaps a step above the dead weight we had previously but overpaid still.

Cammalleri: - Excellent signing, he is only twenty seven and coming off a fantastic 39 goal scoring season with Calgary. There is concern he will not be able to muster that degree of offensive potential because of the lack of an Iginla type player, however he is worth the gamble as even in a bad year, he would mimic Kovalev. Definitely Gainey's best move since becoming a GM.

Gionta: - Hard to say which side I lean towards, the contract is decent and he has had magic in the past with Gomez however I believe we could have sought after someone more dynamic or better yet, resigned the players we have seemingly ignored in Koivu and Kovalev. In the long haul this at least makes some sense, even if I am again indifferent.

Overall, no I am not happy with what Gainey has done with the Canadiens. I love the Cammalleri signing however with the loss of Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins, Komisarek, Tanguay, Lang in addition to having lost Streit, Souray and Huet. This is not the Montreal Canadiens I have loved for the best four years, this is not the team I cheered on the edge of my step for. This is an entirely new team, which is devoid of players I liked, although some do remain.

Thus it is hard to say if I will continue to watch the Habs like I did in the past.

I should add to this however I am somewhat intrigued as to how this will turn out however I must be honest, I was a fan of the players no longer on the roster. No hostility or whining meant by this post, just wanted to clarify that.

im excited to see what this season brings because this team needed big changes...yeah we have been used to seeing koivu and kovalev but its not like we didnt replace them(and we still have a shot at kovalev)...personally, i'd rather have gomez at his contract than gaborik (who will probably pull his groin again and sit out for 40 odd games)...the gill signing confused me but then i see komiserek take the leafs offer of 4.5 when gainey offered him 4 and thats just wrong man gainey was willing to give him 4 mill per year for 5 years and this guy chases 500 000 dollars into ontario?? are you kidding me...he didnt deserve to be resigned if that is how he is...he showed his true colours...overall i was surprised to see that we even got gionta and cammalleri...spacek i think brings that shot we need with markov on the pp i cannot wait to see how that pans out...i think that gill will be effective in his role on the team...he really came into his own during the playoffs...overall im not mad at gainey...he got up took a risk, went out on a limb, and i want to see how it ends up...because this is the nature of the game...you do not know how someone is going to perform at any time...reuniting gomez and gionta is more than just a points thing, i think it allows some comfort there and gives gomez someone to talk to right off the bat...he knows all about the pressure cooker known as montreal...he knows gainey took his contract and that he will be expected to perform...well gainey also brought him a friend...so woopwoop lets see what 2009-2010 brings...

I can not believe the negativity over this day. When Gainey did nothing at the trade deadline everyone was unhappy and now on July 1st Gainey has been the most active GM and everyone is unhappy once again. It is not easy for Gainey to attract top notch players to MTL. We are die hard fans and can hate the team one day and love them the next, therefore players would not like to be put under a microscope every game. I strongly believe that it is not Gainey's fault he was not able to land the highly skilled centermen everyone was praying for, they just don't want to come to a team in which they will be torn apart by the media, and the high taxes.

Now to comment on today's acquisition, YES Gainey did overpay these players but thats what it takes to get them to come and play in MTL.

It was clear Gainey had a plan before July 1st and he succeeded in putting together Gomez and Gionta who had great chemistry in Jersey.

Gionta - Great signing, slightly overpaid but thats what it takes to attract top notch players to MTL. He will work great with Gomez and I am happy he was signed.

Gomez - The trade was great besides the contract. Higgins underachieved last season therefore Im not sad to see him go and I wish him well in his hometown, I was sad to see McDonaugh go but he still hasn't proven anything in the NHL and we can not assume how good or bad he would be in the NHL. His contract is horrible but looking at the player, he will play very well with Gionta which does shine away from his horrible contract.

Cammalleri - Once again slightly overpaid and unsure how he will play in MTL. He did have a great season playing along Iginla but he also did have a good season in LA with no talent players. So I'm excited to see Cammalleri in a Habs Jersey.

Spacek and Gill - These two signings were obviously a result of Komi not cooperating with MTL and signing elsewhere. Gill is definately not a huge downgrade from Komi. After Komisarek got injured in the fight with Lucic he was not the same player and who knows if he ever will be. Komisarek was a big defensemen without the balls and he was immobile. In my opinion Gill is similar to Komi for half the money and Komi IS definately not worth 4.5 M per year, he does not even produce offensively!! Spacek was a bit overpaid and he is old but he can move the puck which can help the powerplay.

Where to go from now? Gainey is obviously not done, he still has about 8M$ to spend and he has stated that Koivu and Tanguay will not be apart of the team next season. If Kovy and the team come to agreements, I only expect Gainey to sign Kovy and the RFAs on the team and thats all. If he doesn't sign Kovy, I would go for another top 4 D man, such as Bauchemin who would prolly take a pay cut to play in his hometown and then sign the RFAs on the team.

I can not believe the negativity over this day. When Gainey did nothing at the trade deadline everyone was unhappy and now on July 1st Gainey has been the most active GM and everyone is unhappy once again. It is not easy for Gainey to attract top notch players to MTL. We are die hard fans and can hate the team one day and love them the next, therefore players would not like to be put under a microscope every game. I strongly believe that it is not Gainey's fault he was not able to land the highly skilled centermen everyone was praying for, they just don't want to come to a team in which they will be torn apart by the media, and the high taxes.

Now to comment on today's acquisition, YES Gainey did overpay these players but thats what it takes to get them to come and play in MTL.

It was clear Gainey had a plan before July 1st and he succeeded in putting together Gomez and Gionta who had great chemistry in Jersey.

Gionta - Great signing, slightly overpaid but thats what it takes to attract top notch players to MTL. He will work great with Gomez and I am happy he was signed.

Gomez - The trade was great besides the contract. Higgins underachieved last season therefore Im not sad to see him go and I wish him well in his hometown, I was sad to see McDonaugh go but he still hasn't proven anything in the NHL and we can not assume how good or bad he would be in the NHL. His contract is horrible but looking at the player, he will play very well with Gionta which does shine away from his horrible contract.

Cammalleri - Once again slightly overpaid and unsure how he will play in MTL. He did have a great season playing along Iginla but he also did have a good season in LA with no talent players. So I'm excited to see Cammalleri in a Habs Jersey.

Spacek and Gill - These two signings were obviously a result of Komi not cooperating with MTL and signing elsewhere. Gill is definately not a huge downgrade from Komi. After Komisarek got injured in the fight with Lucic he was not the same player and who knows if he ever will be. Komisarek was a big defensemen without the balls and he was immobile. In my opinion Gill is similar to Komi for half the money and Komi IS definately not worth 4.5 M per year, he does not even produce offensively!! Spacek was a bit overpaid and he is old but he can move the puck which can help the powerplay.

Where to go from now? Gainey is obviously not done, he still has about 8M$ to spend and he has stated that Koivu and Tanguay will not be apart of the team next season. If Kovy and the team come to agreements, I only expect Gainey to sign Kovy and the RFAs on the team and thats all. If he doesn't sign Kovy, I would go for another top 4 D man, such as Bauchemin who would prolly take a pay cut to play in his hometown and then sign the RFAs on the team.

yes i totally agree and now have some faith in Bob again. I much rathier see Koivu then Kovy on next yrs team but looks lke Bob has made his decissions. So why not got for the whole remake and dump Kovy and if Bauchemin will take a pay cut why not. Still leave a few bucks on the cap no.

Gomez : I also disliked this trade when it was first announced, although I was resigned to giving him the benefit of the doubt. The contract and the assistance we gave the Rangers were the only major concerns I had. The contract can still be earned, so if he plays like $7M+, then I can be satisfied with that. I don't think it was necessary to unload McDonagh to get a deal done, but I can't say it was too much to pay, expectations aside, he is only a prospect.

As for Higgins, I'm happy he gets to play in NY and he simply didn't find his niche here. It feels right, even though I like him. I just hope he doesn't go out of his way to make us regret trading him.

The most important factor in Gomez, may be that he allowed Gainey to create a stir and could have been a key component in convincing other players to come here.

Spacek: I don't have any concerns about Spacek. His potential and our needs overshadow his age, provided he delivers. I just view him as a production upgrade from the back end.

Gill: I'm not ecstatic about the Gill signing, but as long as he is third pairing and never on the ice at the same time as Laraque, it shouldn't be a huge concern, no pun intended. He isn't an adequate replacement for Komi, but I don't think anyone truly is.

Cammalleri: I'm happy with Cammalleri, mostly because he is only a piece and not the whole package. If all we had done was add Cammalleri, I think everyone would have been disappointed and his promise would quickly turn to disappointment.

Gionta: I agree that it makes some sense, but I do think we could have spent that money more wisely and possibly gotten more bang for our buck. The biggest concern I have is a small one, we lost more size at a time we needed to add more. Puns completely intended. Gionta's size alone is only a concern when combined with the rest of the roster.

We've gotten smaller yes but more skilled in my opinion if we resign Tanguay or Kovalev we could be a great offensive team under a defensive system.

I won't be sad to see a complete makeover this team had no heart whatsoever last season. I just hope we add some toughness something this team desperately needs right now, Laraque is a good fighter but he's not mean enough.

Overall I'm very surprised and happy with what Bob did today.

I agree with lizardking... last years team had no heart... None of the players could click... dressing room was so divided it seems... coaches didnt get along with players, groups of players didnt get along with other groups... The overhaul does seem fit and hopefully all the young guys will unite under one veterans guidance and not split 5 different ways

The team that we've had the past 3 years didn't have what it took to go all the way. Why keep the same team, but expect different results? I am thrilled that Bob appears to be doing a total makeover. I believe when he is finished that the new montreal Candiens will be a very exciting team to watch. -- Koivu gave his heart to this team but I feel he is done and given all he can give; the poor guy beat cancer, nearly lost his eye, broke his ankle and wrist, maybe he is just burned out. Kovalev is a floater. He has the potention to be the best player in the NHL, but he is lazy and doesn't always show up to play. The player i'd really like to see stay is Mathew Schneider that is if he isn't too old, but I think he can still contribute he only played what 26 games last season the pp percentaged increased drastically. Tanguay disappointed me; maybe with a different team he can preform better this season. Bouillion is a good defensemen but gets hurt too much. I do not see a problem with a new nucleus this season. Breeze by is old he needs to go. Thumbs up for Gainey. Build the team that will preform best under Martin's system.

I agree with lizardking... last years team had no heart... None of the players could click... dressing room was so divided it seems... coaches didnt get along with players, groups of players didnt get along with other groups... The overhaul does seem fit and hopefully all the young guys will unite under one veterans guidance and not split 5 different ways

Agreed,let's let it all sink in,wait till the new season starts & give it all a chance .

:lol: We alllllllll have been crying,bitching,moaning ect,ect,for change,well we have it now.

We all said BG has no guts,he won't make bold moves,will not take chances,well here we are.

He has done what we assumed nothing would happen.

So,I for one am pretty happy to know today that guttsy BG did not just sit there in his office and twidle his thumbs,while all the other GM'S snatch up all the good skilled talent out there.

Of course we are all ways going to be skeptical ,ya can't always please everyone,right.

We wanted BOB to get it done,by golly he got it done.

Anyways,I'm please overall,can't wait to watch this new look habs team next season,and hope for an injury free /victorious season.

GOHABSGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh yea,all the best in the future for OUR CAPTAIN #11 SAKU KOIVU,YOU WILL BE MISSED. :D

I'm actually pretty happy. I think we're a better team and a lot of that has to do with our new coach IMO. I think when you look at these forwards the common denominator is they've all played and produced in a defense first system (Gomez and Gionta are obvious, but I think it's fair to say Keenan is pretty defensive minded). We could younger, we got more consistent and we got faster and harder to play against IMO.

Spacek is underrated, I think he's a perfect guy to compliment Markov on the PP and he's good enough defensively. Gill, I'll be honest I don't know much about, he's the kind of player that's harder to gauge anyway. If he can use his long stick to help us on the penalty kill and play somewhat physical then I don't have a problem with him on the 3rd pairing.

Saku, Kovy, Komisarek and Tanguay were all very popular guy's (for good reason) so anytime you let popular guy's go fans are unhappy but I really think this new core makes us better for now and going forward.

Am I thrilled with a couple of the contracts? Nope. But on the ice I'm happy with the guy's we've added.

Forget about the contracts, lets leave the finances to Bob and the Management, the only results the fans care about is winning games.

Bob has certainly moved towards making the team better, lets support him and give them a chance.

If they screw up and it fails, then we can judge Bob for now lets support le blue-blanc-rouge.

Overall, I'm happy.

Gomez/Gionta: Hated the Gomez trade until it was revealed to be a component of a larger plan. Anyone who watched the Devils when these two formed 2/3 of their top line knows that Gomez + Gionta is a lethal combination. Two ultra fast skaters with superb puckhandling skills, one an excellent playmaker, the other a great finisher. Will they regain the dominance they displayed in NJ? Time will tell, but I'd put money on it.

Cammalleri: Best free agent signing BG could have made IMO. Gaborik and Havlat are too injury prone, and Hossa was not going to sign here under any circumstances. In Cammalleri, we get an ultra fast, 27 year old sniper coming off a 39 goal season. Playing alongside a speedy playmaking center, I can see him hitting 40 goals this season. Excellent signing.

Spacek: Seems a lot of people are unhappy with this signing. Truth is, Spacek is a very good, underrated player. He's sound defensively, logs lots of minutes, has good passing skills, can play the point on the PP effectively, and has a cannon for a shot. He's a good 2nd pairing D man, and is a perfect replacement for Schneider on the man advantage. With Markov feeding him the puck on the PP, I'm sure he'll hit double digits in goals next season.

Gill: Well, he's huge. At 6'7" and 250lbs, I believe that makes him the 2nd largest player in the NHL? Although he is slow, he has great reach and will make a good 3rd pairing D man as well as an asset on the PK. $2.25 million/year is a bit steep for a 6th defenseman, but I think we've all learned today that you have to overpay to get free agents to sign in Mtl.

Not too upset about Koivu leaving. He was a great captain, but it was his time to go. Gonna miss Tanguay, but Cammalleri is a better hockey player so I guess I'll get used to it. Still holding out hope that Kovy returns to complete our RW depth.

Man not only are they overpaid, they are all on the smaller size, earlyer I thought Gionta was 5'7" but my son now tells me he is 5'6", wow they are all small except for Gill and with our other tiny players, teams like Boston are going to pound us silly and our great signings will be like Tanguay, always injured! No I don't think signing 2nd. line and 3rd. line players should make that much money! I'm sure they will be 1st. liners for us but anywhere else they would not be, and man do we have very old and slow defence now, we are in big trouble again this year!

We failed to get a big centreman. We'll use Camm as a winger. So who do we have as our second line center? Pleks. If anything was shown last year it is that Pleks is not ready (and probably never will be ready) to be our 2nd Line center. I still think we should sign Saku or Lang. But I think we will go for the likes of Antropov or (coughs) Radek Bonk. Right now, we have a quick talented group of forwards. But we had a quick talented group of forwards last year and they got pushed and bullied around, and INJURED. We lost our entire 1st line at one point (Tanguay, Higgins and Koivu). Well what happens to us this year if we lose our entire first line (Gomez, Camm and Gionta?) for 20-25 games? I don't see us faring any better than last year.

Overall happy to just see a change!

In a nut shell, we are still middle of the pack team that may or may not make the playoffs, and all the while destroy a young promising Goalie in Carey Price.

Everyone in in the media is laughing at the Canadiens. That actually translates to first in the East lol, so lets go!!!!!!!!!

Forwards- im pretty happy....i just hope the gomez/gionta gamble works. i like Cammalleri so im excited to see what he can do.

Defense- im still confused on why we signed these guys when there were better Dmen available, we will never know for sure if gainey went after guys like beuchiamen(sp?)scuderi,berergon or morris-all younger then both gill and spacek(sp)

overall- well it would be nice to see what is happening about our RFAs and if bob is done for sure or if he still had something up his sleves.

soo im at a meh for now lol

I don't mind the new players, other than Gomez' contract. That said, I will disagree with your assessment Bourne - I think the Rag's new contract with Gaborik at 7.5 is significantly worse than the Gomez contract. Five years for a potential pane of glass at slightly more than Gomez' contract. I'm not a fan of the Rangers either so hopefully Gaborik stays healthy and nets 29 points over the 82 game season ;)

I am more focused on who we're losing. I will miss Saku and Kovy.

Somewhat disappointed as the team is incredibly small and lacks toughness at any position

I can't help think this team is going to get pushed around extremely easily unless they implement a different gameplan than last year

Buffalo was a small team that used their speed for some success

Montreal has to change IMO

Again people bring boston up figures...yeah we are small that is a problem but remember the smaller we are the faster we are and the more penalties the other team will take to try and stop our smaller forwards. That's how we succeeded in the past and now that we have a good puck possesion coach things are looking even better. So please quit worrying about boston one freaking team that got pretty dang lucky and tim the flop thomas that played over his head and got lucky flukes. If you do not believe me look at theodore.

We failed to get a big centreman. We'll use Camm as a winger. So who do we have as our second line center? Pleks. If anything was shown last year it is that Pleks is not ready (and probably never will be ready) to be our 2nd Line center. I still think we should sign Saku or Lang. But I think we will go for the likes of Antropov or (coughs) Radek Bonk. Right now, we have a quick talented group of forwards. But we had a quick talented group of forwards last year and they got pushed and bullied around, and INJURED. We lost our entire 1st line at one point (Tanguay, Higgins and Koivu). Well what happens to us this year if we lose our entire first line (Gomez, Camm and Gionta?) for 20-25 games? I don't see us faring any better than last year.

This is my 40th yr as a hab fan,and I've never been as down as I am now. This team is going to SUCK for years. Camm was a great signing but Gionta and Gomez for 5 yrs at a combined $12 m /yr,which will be almost 25% of the cap in the coming years,which means forget about resigning Price if he becomes a star. Camm,Gionta,Gomez = 18 m for 5 yrs

Kovy,Koivu,Tang = 14 m for 2-3 yrs

Spacek/gill = $6m (3/2 yrs thank god) Komi 4.5,Dandy/bouillion 1.5, or a $6m star

Again people bring boston up figures...yeah we are small that is a problem but remember the smaller we are the faster we are and the more penalties the other team will take to try and stop our smaller forwards. That's how we succeeded in the past and now that we have a good puck possesion coach things are looking even better. So please quit worrying about boston one freaking team that got pretty dang lucky and tim the flop thomas that played over his head and got lucky flukes. If you do not believe me look at theodore.

Obviously you haven't watched the Habs for too long.We succeeded with great goaltending and defense 1st. We have potential in goal,and a horrible defense. TO will beat us up more than Bost.,and add Philly also. I feel bad for our small forwards and goalies,who will be getting run all year.

Guest olddude

As with anything, there are things I like and things I don't. I like most of the players we got, I don't like some of the contracts. I like the fact that we cleaned house, I don't like that we got smaller. I'll miss some players, but I'll get over it. Overall, I'm looking forward to seeing the team we ice next season and I think the work ethics these new players will bring are going to be a good influence on our young players.

Archived