The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Are You Happy Or Disappointed With The New Canadiens?

Bourne

I'm still trying to get my head around who actually 'plays' on my favortie team now...my head's still spinning.

First, and foremost, the thing that ticked me off more than anything else yesterday...Komisarek, he was one of my favorite players and I just lost ALL respect for him. Reports are stating that the difference between what Gainey offered and what he got was $500K per year...are kidding me. You rejected playing for the Montreal Canadiens, the team that drafted you, the team that gave you a chance, the team that its fans put you in the all-star game...for $500K/yr? Really? Disgusting.

Second...I'm saddened by the fact that Koivu isn't returning (not definitive but highly likely), there are very few that I'd say have as much overall heart and perseverance than Saku Koivu. That alone I would keep him around for, I would want him in my organization in whatever capacity I could have him, he may not be our number one center any more but...he's as good as any third line center in the league, and what he brings to the team beyond that is immense. (I saw this when they got Gomez...out centers, Gomez, Lang, Koivu, Lapierre...that looks pretty good to me)

Kovalev - I would pay him no more than 3.5/year, 3 year, and definitely not give him the C

Lang - I would be very disappointed to see go, he should be kept around (I thought he was signed longer than last year)...if he'd stay for a Million I'd do it.

Tanguay - sorry to see him go too, we only got to see small bursts from him because he was injured for a huge part of the season...would love to see a full season out of him.

Higgins - was one of my fav's too, sorry to see him go, but he was not a top 2 line forward, 3rd at best, as the Rangers will soon see.

Brisbois - time to hang them up, but a more dedicated to this franchise person I don't think you'll find. With all the crap he took in Montreal and he wanted to keep playing here...impressive.

Dandenault - Versatile, and good for depth, but would never be top 5 on either forward or defense.

Boullion - Tenacious as a bulldog...but never considered him a top 4 defenseman.

Schneider - would still keep him at a 'low' salary as our 7th D. (Markov, Spacek, Gorges, Hamerlik, Gill, Webber, Schneider).

The new guys...

Gomez...I like his game, like what he brings, like that he's not scared to stand in front of the net...don't like his contract or that we gave up McD for him. But I welcome him to Montreal and am glad he's here.

Camalleri...love it...glad we got him.

Gionta...small, my only fear, but if he and Gomez capture the magic they had in Jersey...bring it on!

Spacek...I see as a replacement for Schneider at a younger age if Webber isn't ready.

Gill...I see just as a replacement for Komi's size, I hope he can block shot's.

Overall...I'm ok with the changes...the three I would try and keep at low salary's the most...Lang, Koivu, Schneider.

Jason

That was not a career norm for him though.

He also spent a lot of time out injured...

And why on earth are we not trying to get Heatley? Please someone explain this to me.

Have you not been reading the headlines? Look at how he's treating his former team who offered him a very nice contract, look at how he treated the Oilers. He was quoted by saying, "yeah, I want out, but not that badly," when asked why he didn't want to wave his no-trade clause to go there.

He has an elite list with about five or less teams on it where "he" wants to go. The Habs obviously aren't on his list.

After his display in the last week, I'm wondering why ANYONE would want this guy on their team. Sure he's got talent, but he's got the attitude of Ray Emery.

That was not a career norm for him though.

That's not to say it won't become a career norm for him, though! :P

I'm just saying, the deal wasn't that bad. Mostly, the only part I didn't like was the salary involved. I'm not heart-broken over McDonagh. Prospects come, prospects go. We'll have another 1st rounder to get overly excited about next year.

Look at the Eastern Conference standings from last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/standings

1. z-Boston 82 116

2. y-Washington 82 108

3. y-New Jersey 82 106

4. x-Pittsburgh 82 99

5. x-Philadelphia 82 99

6. x-Carolina 82 97

7. x-NY Rangers 82 95

8. x-Montreal 82 93

9. Florida 82 93

10. Buffalo 82 91

11. Ottawa 82 83

12. Toronto 82 81

13. Atlanta 82 76

14. Tampa Bay 82 66

15. NY Islanders 82 61

Philadelphia (Pronger), the Rangers (Gaborik, Higgins), Toronto (youth experience, Komisarek, Gustavsson?), Atlanta (Kubina, Antropov, Evander Kane), Tampa Bay (Ohlund, Hedman, an extra year of experience for Stamkos) and NYI (returning goalie, Tavares) all got better. I think Tampa Bay and Atlanta could join the playoff race.

It will be a lot harder to make the playoffs next year. And if this experiment doesn't work out we're stuck with it for 5 years. Gainey has given his successor a poison pill.

I'm extremely disappointed. We gave up WAAAAY too much for Gomez. He has one of the worst contracts in the league and not only did we give up Chris Higgins, an all around excellent young player who can score 30 goals any year, but we also gave up a blue chip prospect in McDonagh. We got absolutely destroyed in this deal and shouldn't have had to also give up our best prospect when Gomez makes as much money as real franchise players. Our list of prospects also now looks pretty underwhelming.

Signing Gionta for 5 (!!!) million a year for the next 5 years is also pretty ridiculous. I would have rather kept Tanguay since I believe he's a better player anyway but now that we got Gomez, we have to cater to him for some reason.

I really like Cammy though and that was a great signing. However I'd rather have wingers Kovalev, Higgins and Tanguay over Cammy and Gionta.

I didn't think we would resign Mike Komisarek because he'd want so much money but Toronto really didn't offer him such a huge contract. Why the heck didn't we match it? We gave a 35 year old defensemen 3.8 million a year and Hal Gill a bunch of money instead of giving a younger and better player like Komisarek 4.5 million. It doesn't make sense to me. It should be quality over quantity and not the other way around.

And why on earth are we not trying to get Heatley? Please someone explain this to me.

I'm sorry but Komi is not worth the 4.5 the Laffs paid for him first of all. He's a defensive defenseman that is coming off an injury. Bob offered him a contract (worth about 4 mil if I'm wrong about this please correct me) and he turned it down he had a small time frame then he had to move on.

I agree with you though we should have signed defenseman of quality over quantity I'm not thrilled about Gill either but he got a pretty good d-man in Spacek however. We had alot of roster spots to fill and I think Bob still did a good job rebuilding the team on the fly.

That's not to say it won't become a career norm for him, though! :P

I'm just saying, the deal wasn't that bad. Mostly, the only part I didn't like was the salary involved. I'm not heart-broken over McDonagh. Prospects come, prospects go. We'll have another 1st rounder to get overly excited about next year.

You mean like Austin Watson, Jordan Weal or Tom Kuhnackl :P (I'm already getting into 2010 draft prospect mode).

McD I was never big on to begin with, I don't know where people saw a top pairing D from, if he rounds out as a top 4, it would be a success.

You mean like Austin Watson, Jordan Weal or Tom Kuhnackl :P (I'm already getting into 2010 draft prospect mode).

McD I was never big on to begin with, I don't know where people saw a top pairing D from, if he rounds out as a top 4, it would be a success.

Just to be sure, those prospects are based on a draft positionon for us finishing 9th in the conference, right? :lol:

I'm sorry but Komi is not worth the 4.5 the Laffs paid for him first of all.

Nobody the Canadiens signed or traded for yesterday are worth even close to the amount they are being paid.

And most of the Higgins responses to my initial post have been terrible. Higgins was injured for a huge chunk of last season and didn't play that well when he did just like the majority of the Canadiens roster. The 3 seasons before last year though he had 23 goals in his rookie season, 22 goals the following season where he only played 61 games, and the year after that he scored 27 goals. And you guys are baffled when I say this guy can score 30 goals? Does everyone forget so easily how good Higgins can be because he didn't play well during a season marred by injury?

Regarding Heatley, Edmonton is obviously not on his list but at least they tried to make a move to acquire him. It can't hurt to try. Heck, Heatley is a franchise winger and makes around the same amount of money as Gomez. Our team is spending about 18 million dollars alone for Gomez, Gionta and Hamrlik. We throw franchise player money at such average players and I really don't understand it.

My 2 cents:

- Gomez - overrated and on the decline - not worth the money

- Gionta - good pickup and hard worker - just a little on the short side

- Cammalleri - great pickup! - I can see him being the next captain

- Spacek - half-decent D - a bit on the old side, and still no RIGHT-HANDED shot from the point!

- Gill - what the heck was Bob thinking?!!! - I've seen Hal play on the Laffs and he was a pylon. I've seen Hal play on the Pens and he was a pylon....ladies and gentlemen, bob just picked up a $4.5 Million pylon. He will be a huge defensive liability!

Overall, I feel half up, and half down....so I guess I am in the middle :)

I know that Bob is trying to change the persona of this team, but it seems like he made these deals more out of panic, rather than calculated strategy...It feels like he threw a bunch of darts at the board and hoped that a couple of them hits the mark....I am left confused as to how i should feel about this team.

Nobody the Canadiens signed or traded for yesterday are worth even close to the amount they are being paid.

And most of the Higgins responses to my initial post have been terrible. Higgins was injured for a huge chunk of last season and didn't play that well when he did just like the majority of the Canadiens roster. The 3 seasons before last year though he had 23 goals in his rookie season, 22 goals the following season where he only played 61 games, and the year after that he scored 27 goals. And you guys are baffled when I say this guy can score 30 goals? Does everyone forget so easily how good Higgins can be because he didn't play well during a season marred by injury?

Regarding Heatley, Edmonton is obviously not on his list but at least they tried to make a move to acquire him. It can't hurt to try. Heck, Heatley is a franchise winger and makes around the same amount of money as Gomez. Our team is spending about 18 million dollars alone for Gomez, Gionta and Hamrlik. We throw franchise player money at such average players and I really don't understand it.

While I don't believe Higgins can be a perennial 30 goal scorer in this league, there's still a chance. I still see 2nd liner at best written all over him but let's not go there again, he might prove me wrong at some point.

As for Heatley, I have no interest whatsoever in getting this guy after what he's been through in his short career. He may be an elite goal scorer but the way how he "deals" with his current employer is simply unreal. No thanks, I'll pass.

Well, incase you didn't now, Koivu is close to signing a deal with minnesota. And Kovy was close to resigning but isn't sure yet.

I didn't,worked double-shift,have heard no news up till now,so thanks for the up-date. :D

Glad for our Captain #11 having the chance to hook up with younger bro.

All the best Saku,will be missed.

Yeah we overpaid for the players we got but that's what it takes to sign players here unfortunately. As far as Heatley goes I don't think at the time we had the assets to acquire him but like you said it couldn't hurt to try.

I liked Higgins alot also I thought he and Ryder were going to be a large part of this team's future I think we gave up on both way too early.

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur

So far, the new guys we hired in are good. However if Kovy leaves as he's the best candidate for captaincy right now, then I'll be VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED.

I love it!! We have a solid core group of younger players, and the best part is that over the years these players will help us attract more players to Montreal!!

Good Luck Saku really going to miss you!

I bet after seeing who Bob added to this team, Komisarek is regreting signing with the Leafs hahaha, can't wait too boo him :D:P:lol:

Yeah we overpaid for the players we got but that's what it takes to sign players here unfortunately.

Agree,Bob acted quickly yesterday,knowing that the players he ended up getting would have had drew much interest from many teams & would have been gone,had he waited.

And of course,had he been patient & waited,and in the end there was slim pickings,we would have all been flipping our wing-dings that BG did nothing at all,fire his butt ect,ect.

AND YA ALL KNOW IT'S TRUEEEEEEEEEEEE :lol:

Yeah we overpaid for the players we got but that's what it takes to sign players here unfortunately. As far as Heatley goes I don't think at the time we had the assets to acquire him but like you said it couldn't hurt to try.

I liked Higgins alot also I thought he and Ryder were going to be a large part of this team's future I think we gave up on both way too early.

Giving up on players and letting players go to other teams and getting back absolutely nothing in return pretty much sums up Gainey's tenure with the Canadiens.

If you think about all the players we lost for nothing: Ryder, Komisarek, Souray, Koivu, Streit, Tanguay (lol we just gave up a 1st round pick for this guy LAST YEAR), probably Kovalev etc...

It's disgusting. I don't think any other team in the league mishandles its assets the way the Canadiens do.

I personally thnk the key to this working out is the rfas.gainey has to secure at least pleks chips, and dagostini.It just seem like we lost a lot of depth players to free agency.And our young guys really have to step up.It seem most of the people criticizing our team from the outside have no idea how good some of our prospects are going forward.If pax and chipchura and weber can all make the jump and perfom up to expectations were in good shape i think.

Archived