The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ever Met A Habs Player?

Just curious to know if anyone here has ever met a Hab (or any other NHL player). I live in Sask. so I have never been so lucky but I always hear that hockey players are the nicest athletes. So do you guys agree?

Yes,much agree.

I've had the privilege to meet such hab greats...Lafleur,Shutt,Dryden,Nilan,Carboneau,Muller,Jarvis,Gingras.

Have most of their signatures on my hockey banner.

Were great to meet,though briefly...Were very nice to meet in person,classy.

I've met * Chris Gratton (when he played for T.B....when they came to Montreal). During their practice, my dad took me down to meet him (my dad knew him from his time in Kingston). He gave me a broken stick from one of his teammates (forget his name), and got their autographs on it.

* Jay McKee. Went to public school with him. He lived down the street from me (when I lived with my parents).

* I swear Andy McDonald (Anaheim) is the same "Andy McDonald" who lived down the street from me, at our old house, and went to public school with him and hung out a little. Looks just like him, and we're the same age... but have no proof.

* When I was a kid, my dad and I went to a Hab game, stayed in a hotel (forget the name, but apparently one that a lot of players stay at when they come to play in Montreal), and as we were in the lobby, Cam Neely, Terry O'Reilly, and 1 other Boston player were there. I got all their autographs. Still have them to this day. That's when Neely had a broken arm, wrist or something....he had a cast on his arm.

I believe that`s it. Oh, I hung out (partied) with Jan Bulis` girlfriend :wub: , not too long before she got pregnant with his baby <_< . They weren`t a couple then, but apparently ended up together (he played for Kingston).....never met HIM, but, thought i`d mention it cause he played for the Habs. ;)

Yes I have, while visiting Toronto in April of 1977 some friend of mine and I went to a Habs Leafs game..(we won 4-1) After the game while walking in front of MLG turning onto Church St. to try and find a place to get a beer or six I noticed the guy walking in fromt of us looked familiar, it was Mario Tremblay. We turned the corner and there were the Canadiens waiting for their bus which must have been late. we met and talked to Guy Lafleur, Ken Dryden, Larry Robinson and many many more, it was great!! The best thing was that as good as those guys were, they were all nice guys, talked to us and shook hands and it was a great time!

In those days we met many NHL players in Toronto and Buffalo, we met members os the Candiens, Leafs, Sabres, St. Louis Blues,Boston Bruins, and many other teams and yeas they were all eally nice guys, loved to joke around and have a good time with whoever was there...we even met several AHL players in Rochester and they were nice guys to!

Only Hockey player that I met was Lyle Odelein. I met him at Cheers downtown it was after he got traded to New Jersey and told him that we all miss him in Montreal he told me he missed it here too. My brother met Dryden in the parade from the Forum to the Bell Center. He rushed the car and shook his hand then a cop pulled him away I thought he was gonna get busted :lol:

yeah i remember meeting a habs player, in 2008 my town was one of the 5 in the finals of hockey ville, and we had a player that used to play on our minor hockey league team that played for the 93 montreal canadians when they last won the cup. if i recall correctly it was Mario Roberge, and i met him along with my phys ed teacher,

in fact he did play for our team

1987-88 Port-aux-Basque Mariners Senior 37 24 65 89 152

=D

I met Frank Mahovlich. I'm a flight attendant and he was on one of my flights, travelling to play in an old timer's game. He was very nice and spoke with me for quite some time about hockey.

When I was a kid, I met Gary Bromley (was a goalie for the Buffalo Sabres). That was back around 1974 or so. My first job was working in a movie theatre that his parents owned. I was at their house and Mr. Bromley was there as well. He walked me home :)

I had the Edmonton Oilers on my flight once as well. Wayne Gretzky was very nice as was Craig Simpson (very polite). The rest of the players *cough* most of them were pretty full of themselves (especially McTavish) LOL

On another flight from L.A. to Calgary, I had Tikkannen on (probably spelled that wrong).

Oh, man I'm remembering all kinds of players now. I was deadheading (when flight attendants travel from one point to another, not working, but as a passenger), I sat beside

Jean Beliveau. He was very softspoken, polite and classy. I see why so many nice things are said about him.

There are probably more to mention but I need to hit the sack.

Met Theodore was pretty cool ( i knew his cousin and we chatted briefly about it )

ran into markov in westmount ( near the rbc bank ) didnt know it was him until i did a double take and was like... thats markov.. Saw kostopoulos and laraque at the royal vic one day ( tko is big but bgl is huge ) and ran into higgins and price back when higgins was injured at the cinema bank scotia. Didnt even notice them until someone said omg thats carey price. i had passed them on the escalator on the way up without noticing..

I was doing some Christmas shopping at a record store just outside Toronto a few years back, and happened to glance up at the guy across the rack from me - it was Steve Shutt. I apologized for bothering him but said I was a lifelong Habs fan and that he was always one of my favourite players. He was really nice and talked to me for a few minutes about the glory days back in the 70s when the Habs were unstoppable and how much he loved playing in Montreal. "Take it from somebody who knows, you guys are by far the best fans in the league and there's no better city to play for than Montreal," he said. After a bit we wished each other a Merry Christmas and went about our shopping.

I also ran into Abe Vigoda at a dinky little corner store in Calgary, but that's a completely unrelated (and very surreal) matter! :lol:

Back around 1989 or so I was working as a rep in the food brokerage business and was at a trade show. Our company's booth was across from the booth promoting 'FlowerPower' beverage and 'Holy Crap... There he was! Guy Lafleur in person signing autographs. I had my picture taken with him.

About 4 years later I was in Montreal for training at a new job and several of the guys went to a game. we went early to get tickets and standing out front was Chris Nilan. One of my buddies' father was a huge Nilan fan so I took a picture of my buddy with Chris. Nilan had to ham it up! They both put one arm around the other's shoulder and with their other hand made a fist and put it to the other guy's chin!

I've also met Bobby Hull (have a picture of my kids sitting on his knee), Gary Leeman, Billy Smith (what a character!) and last but not least, my son and I met Sidney Crosby after we got off the ice from a practice in Dartmouth a couple of years ago. Hope to meet him again when he brings the cup home to Cole Harbour this summer!

Outside of hockey??...

While attending meetings in Toronto, myself and several colleagues, sat at the bar in the Sutton Place Hotel one evening, having drinks and telling jokes with Louis Gossett Junior for about 2 hours.

Back around 1989 or so I was working as a rep in the food brokerage business and was at a trade show. Our company's booth was across from the booth promoting 'FlowerPower' beverage and 'Holy Crap... There he was! Guy Lafleur in person signing autographs. I had my picture taken with him.

About 4 years later I was in Montreal for training at a new job and several of the guys went to a game. we went early to get tickets and standing out front was Chris Nilan. One of my buddies' father was a huge Nilan fan so I took a picture of my buddy with Chris. Nilan had to ham it up! They both put one arm around the other's shoulder and with their other hand made a fist and put it to the other guy's chin!

I've also met Bobby Hull (have a picture of my kids sitting on his knee), Gary Leeman, Billy Smith (what a character!) and last but not least, my son and I met Sidney Crosby after we got off the ice from a practice in Dartmouth a couple of years ago. Hope to meet him again when he brings the cup home to Cole Harbour this summer!

Outside of hockey??...

While attending meetings in Toronto, myself and several colleagues, sat at the bar in the Sutton Place Hotel one evening, having drinks and telling jokes with Louis Gossett Junior for about 2 hours.

Hey there,so they haven't had the town parade/crosby with cup yet,eh?

Any date set,pens/Sid fan I work with wants to travel down to see it.( Fr.N.B.) :D

I'm now 43 and living in Ottawa, but I grew up in Kirkland (West Island Montreal, home of Louie LeBlanc), and Bob Gainey used to live just around the corner from my house.

This was the 1970's, remember, before players were millionaires, so most Canadiens players lived in middle class/upper middle class neighbourhoods, not in gated mansion communities like today.

I lived at 19 Michel Street (exit Tran-Canada south at Blvd.St.Charles) and he lived on Viger.

I can still remember playing ball hockey on the street after dinner in the summer, and Bob Gainey would be out taking an evening walk with his wife (RIP) and they would often stop and talk to my Dad, if he was outside playing with us.

It was incredible. We'd all stop playing and just stare at him, not saying a word.

You've never seen a more polite, well-mannered bunch of 8-9 year-old boys in your life.

Then as they were leaving, we'd all say "Goodnight Mr. and Mrs. Gainey" in unison, before returning to our game. No one said "Bob", and if they did, my old man would straighten them out quick.

Those were the days.

I'm now 43 and living in Ottawa, but I grew up in Kirkland (West Island Montreal, home of Louie LeBlanc), and Bob Gainey used to live just around the corner from my house.

This was the 1970's, remember, before players were millionaires, so most Canadiens players lived in middle class/upper middle class neighbourhoods, not in gated mansion communities like today.

I lived at 19 Michel Street (exit Tran-Canada south at Blvd.St.Charles) and he lived on Viger.

I can still remember playing ball hockey on the street after dinner in the summer, and Bob Gainey would be out taking an evening walk with his wife (RIP) and they would often stop and talk to my Dad, if he was outside playing with us.

It was incredible. We'd all stop playing and just stare at him, not saying a word.

You've never seen a more polite, well-mannered bunch of 8-9 year-old boys in your life.

Then as they were leaving, we'd all say "Goodnight Mr. and Mrs. Gainey" in unison, before returning to our game. No one said "Bob", and if they did, my old man would straighten them out quick.

Those were the days.

Very nice post,great memories...thanks for sharing,interesting.

Thanks pal.

It really was a magical time for a young boy growing up in Montreal in the 1970's.

At that time, the Cup parade was such a regular part of the city's annual festival circuit that the Mayor of Montreal (Drapeau at the time?) once said in an official statement, that the parade would be "taking its usual route this year". I mean, why go over the mundane details of the route AGAIN. It's the same one as last year and the year before that. Get with the program!

I remember my Dad used to take us to ALL the Stanley Cup parades, and there were many.

I recall one in particular where the Canadiens were driven in T-Top Corvette Stingrays, with two players in each car sitting on the open sunroofs.

There was none of this double decker bus, miles-from-the fans crap that you witness nowadays.

The streets were packed 20 deep and the police were doing all they could just to leave enough space for a single row of Stingrays to get through. In fact the cars had to stop periodically to allow the Gendarmes time to clear a path ahead.

My Dad, being 6'3" and 240 pounds at the time, forced his way to the front of the crowd with me on his shoulders and my older brother in tow.

Once there, I took my position and fearlessly defended my spot against the ever-growing throng of well-wishers who jostled us back and forth.

By the time Yvan Cournoyer's (and I believe Guy Lapointe's) car was approaching, I was as far out in the street as you could get, and if not for my age, the police would surely have hussled me back in line. But they were too busy with the adult lunatics to bother with a child.

Then as Yvan's car pulled up, I moved forward to shake his hand and the Corvette rolled over my left foot and stopped right on top of it, while the police again dealt with the crowd.

So there I was suddenly pinned under Cournoyer's Corvette.

I tried to pull my foot out, but to no avail. It wasn't moving until the car did, so I was stuck there.

In most cases, this might alarm a normal child, but I sensed no danger and felt no pain.

I was eight years old and high-fiving Yvan Counoyer at a Cup parade. They could have cut off my foot with a dull axe at that point and I wouldn't have noticed until the next morning.

I had the pleasure of meeting and having a beer with Yvan about five years ago in Ottawa, at the opening of a local hockey-themed bar (no plug), and I told him the whole story.

He laughed heartily and recalled how crazy that particular parade was.

PS: He is possibly the most humble, soft-spoken, classy Canadien that has ever donned le Sainte Flanelle. They don't make heroes like him anymore. Pity.

Thanks pal.

It really was a magical time for a young boy growing up in Montreal in the 1970's.

At that time, the Cup parade was such a regular part of the city's annual festival circuit that the Mayor of Montreal (Drapeau at the time?) once said in an official statement, that the parade would be "taking its usual route this year". I mean, why go over the mundane details of the route AGAIN. It's the same one as last year and the year before that. Get with the program!

I remember my Dad used to take us to ALL the Stanley Cup parades, and there were many.

I recall one in particular where the Canadiens were driven in T-Top Corvette Stingrays, with two players in each car sitting on the open sunroofs.

There was none of this double decker bus, miles-from-the fans crap that you witness nowadays.

The streets were packed 20 deep and the police were doing all they could just to leave enough space for a single row of Stingrays to get through. In fact the cars had to stop periodically to allow the Gendarmes time to clear a path ahead.

My Dad, being 6'3" and 240 pounds at the time, forced his way to the front of the crowd with me on his shoulders and my older brother in tow.

Once there, I took my position and fearlessly defended my spot against the ever-growing throng of well-wishers who jostled us back and forth.

By the time Yvan Cournoyer's (and I believe Guy Lapointe's) car was approaching, I was as far out in the street as you could get, and if not for my age, the police would surely have hussled me back in line. But they were too busy with the adult lunatics to bother with a child.

Then as Yvan's car pulled up, I moved forward to shake his hand and the Corvette rolled over my left foot and stopped right on top of it, while the police again dealt with the crowd.

So there I was suddenly pinned under Cournoyer's Corvette.

I tried to pull my foot out, but to no avail. It wasn't moving until the car did, so I was stuck there.

In most cases, this might alarm a normal child, but I sensed no danger and felt no pain.

I was eight years old and high-fiving Yvan Counoyer at a Cup parade. They could have cut off my foot with a dull axe at that point and I wouldn't have noticed until the next morning.

I had the pleasure of meeting and having a beer with Yvan about five years ago in Ottawa, at the opening of a local hockey-themed bar (no plug), and I told him the whole story.

He laughed heartily and recalled how crazy that particular parade was.

PS: He is possibly the most humble, soft-spoken, classy Canadien that has ever donned le Sainte Flanelle. They don't make heroes like him anymore. Pity.

I'm going to summit this as "POST OF THE DAY".

Enjoyed reading this Flunky.

Again, thanks for lending me an E-ear.

With a captain just around the corner and parades every spring, it was like living in Disneyland.

Funny thing is, my Dad emigrated to Canada in 1955 and had to decide between Montreal and Toronto as a place to live.

I thank the Good Lord every night. Amen.

Archived