The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Should #11 Be Retired?

Should Saku Koivu's Number 11 be Retired?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Should Saku Koivu's Number 11 be Retired?

• Yes
    • No

It started in 1995. It ends in 2009. But it doesn't have to.

What do you think?

Should Saku Koivu's #11 be raised to the rafters?

I for one think "No" although he is my favorite hab. He was great in every way. A great leader. A great playmaker. But not amazing. When you think about it. He doesn't really belong with the Richard's and the Beliveau's. He's just not god enough of a player.

Do you agree or disagree?

YES!!! i do not care what other ppl say koivu deserves his number retired! with a cup or not! Longest serving captain and stuck through us through the dark ages! hes been through so much crap ppl forget. Went through cancer only to come back and play at a high level? did ppl forget that?

As I'm one of those who feel that Koivu will be missed if he's gone,and appreciate all that he's done for our habs.

I really do not feel that his past illness should be brought into this decision making,IMO.

I respect everything that he's done & stand for.

I'll always feel that he's been the heart & soul of our team,and was a great (still is) captain.

But,I do not know to be honest if he indeed meets the criteria,which brings me to my next question.

What is the exact criteria based on to have one's # raised to the rafters.

Once that's determined,I guess we shall have our answer.

Koivuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

its a no for me...sorry as good as he is/was for the habs he just didnt get them to that level...remembered for many things is what he will be and thats good...but retire the 11, i dont think so...not yet anyways

Absolutely yes.

This goes with why we should keep him til he retires. It brings tradition. Do you ever watch the faces of the players as they raise a guys jersey to the rafters? Saku will be the only player whose sweater we can legitimately retire from this era. I am sure his jersey will be retired in years to come.

I am sure his jersey will be retired in years to come.

Why do you think it will ?

I liked the guy.

He was great captain while he was here

He overcame many obstacles while playing for the Habs

Was always availbe to answer to the media and represent his team mates

but he never won a Stanely Cup, an NHL award , scoring title , he holds no Hab or NHl records for goals, pts , assists etc

Other than being one of the longest serving captains in Hab history and the face of the Habs that the " newer " generation of fans could relate to why should he have his number retired

Why do you think it will ?

I liked the guy.

He was great captain while he was here

He overcame many obstacles while playing for the Habs

Was always availbe to answer to the media and represent his team mates

but he never won a Stanely Cup, an NHL award , scoring title , he holds no Hab or NHl records for goals, pts , assists etc

Other than being one of the longest serving captains in Hab history and the face of the Habs that the " newer " generation of fans could relate to why should he have his number retired

Why should he have his his number retired? because he went through soo much crap with this team thats why. Anyone and i say everyone in his position would have bolted 5 years or less if they were captain of the habs before BG was a general manager thats why. what did we call those years? oh yea THE DARK YEARS! so please give me a break about the points and scoring titles. This team was a damn mess when koivu got the C handed to him and he did the best he could with what the management gave him and NEVER complained. When he got cancer? HE NEVER COMPLAINED he battled back and played pro hockey at a high level. What team mates did koivu have over all these years? anyone even 1st line material? probably not but he still managed a good amount of points each year without any good line mates. Also id like to say did we not say koivu was a better fit as a second line center instead of a first line center? but lookie here he played on the first line with no 1st line center to help him so he can play better without all the pressure he had no help my friend NONE. Only now do we have players that can help him and we do not even give him a sniff of that not even a small taste of how it feels for him to play second center behind someone thats better and not have all that pressure on him because hes "the number 1 center" so yes koivu does deserve his number deserved with a cup or no cup with no scoring title or with one it does not matter. Koivu will probably be the last person that sweats and bleeds the colours of this team because honestly this generations of hockey players just don't want to go through tradition of staying with the team that drafted him.

Look right now hes having such a hard time choosing a team to play with just hoping for the habs to give him an offer and yes i know we need to move on but what the hell is the big deal of giving him a one year deal to give him a taste of playing second string? im sure as hell hes earned and it boggles the hell out of me as to why hes being treated like this. When i said i was fine with him leaving the way he did with long talks with BG after the play offs and before july 1st i am but when i hear you fans posting stuff like "we need koivu back hes the heart and soul of this team!!" then the same people saying "he hasnt done anything to deserve his number retired!" pisses me off completely!! He has done a heck of a lot more then any captain i have seen i do not care if he brought us a cup or not hes had a bunch of nobodies to play with in his time as captain of the habs and as soon as we have some players to play with him he gets not even a small taste of it...

"better" players? Numbers-wise, sure. I guess it's really easy to forget what the guy's done, in the hardest place in the NHL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgXtdZJ2TvY...feature=related

I totally agree gets a pet scan in montreal that cost millions to get. Comes back from cancer to battle the number 1 bruins that year to beat them in 6 games i guess ppl forgot about that also. boggles my mind...

Koivu is one heck of a player and always will be. He has heart, stature, and is a two way centerman. I am so sad that he will not be signed this year and think it is a huge mistake. Maybe he needs to give up the "C" but not leave. Know one works as hard as he does on the ice. The kids blew it last year and the vetrans pay the consequenses. I think Koivu and Kovelev should be resigned, but all I am is a western canadain Hab fan for 50years now...

Archived