The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Kovalev Gone!!!!! Signed With Ottawa

kiprusoffk

Hello did you not see who we picked up? None of these guys are that big and none bleed red white and blue like saku does. You will never convince me that these are a better pick-up than koivu. Agreed that kovy played when he wanted to but not saku, he was there game in and game out and can still perform. Gainey blew it by not keeping our captain. I would rather lose Pleks cause obviously with his arbitration he doesn't give a crap about this team.

how can they? They haven't even suited up yet! I haven't heard anything from Gionta, but I have heard both Gomez and Cammy speak, and both seem not only happy, but excited be in Montreal where Hockey matters. 5 years time, fans will be complaining that we need to lose at least one of these 3 players, mark my words.

As for gionta, if him and Kovalev put up similar point totals....will, given gionta's younger age and FAR superior two-way play, wouldn't that mean he is infact worth $5M if Kovalev is worth around $4-$4.5M?

As far as Koivu goes, I'd love to have him back for a couple more seasons, give him a chance to play on the second line with real talent around him for a change, but it will require much work on bobs part. Given the (potential) influx of youth we have, I'm in favour of letting pleks go. He's good, but not for the price tag he'll likely command. That frees up room for Saku to bridge the gap until a guy like Maxwell is ready to take over at second line center in a few years. Plus, Koivu's leadership will be needed given the recent changes to this team. If you can't rally and get behind the notion of 'win the cup for Saku' given all the recent changes, you have no place in an NHL dresing room. Bringing him back could be the uniting factor this team needs to facilitate the 'gellling' of this team. Kovy.....thanks for the entertainment, but the habs need a guy that at least trys ever game, not just 30 or so games.

This team has been in rebuild mode ever since Bob has been here. Do we ever get to the "Built" stage?

Well, like most teams, your window of opportunity opens and closes. Montreal's supposed window of opportunity appeared to have been in 2007-2008/2008-2009, but we saw how fast that window slammed shut on us. Fact of the matter is, Gainey didn't build us a contending team... That's why everything else in the organization has now changed. At least Gainey can admit the mistake, I s'pose, and move on. Whether or not he deserves to be fired will depend on this teams' performance over the 1st half of 2009-2010.

OK so after Gainey comfirms that Kovalev is gone, 990 reporting that he is meeting or will meet with Burke and the Leafs.

Perfect, I'd actually be thrilled to see the Loafs with Kovalazy...him and Grabovski can room together and trash all their team mates past and present! LOL

Agreed. Kovy's best years were in Pittsburgh with Mario. And the only reason he has his name on the Stanley Cup is because he played on a Ranger's team lead by Messier and Leetch. Kovy was a nobody on that team. Having Kovy as your "best player" is a joke when compared with other teams. Look at teams in the league now, like Pittsburgh, Chicago, Jersey, Carolina and Philly. They have leaders on their team like Crosby, Teows, Parise, Staal and Richards. Those are the teams of the future. There is no way the Habs could compete with teams like those with Kovy leading the way. Sorry.

Everyone needs good players to play with to win. He is no Messier or Leetch, but the Rangers would not have won the cup without him. He was third on the team in points. He was huge in the comeback against the Devils. He has been pretty solid in the playoffs most years. Perhaps he isn't in the elite of the league, but he produces consistently on offense and is valuable to any team that is making a cup run. THe problem with the Habs is they didn't have any top players so Koivu and Kovalev were forced to be top players. They were both suited to playing in a secondary scoring role.

Everyone needs good players to play with to win. He is no Messier or Leetch, but the Rangers would not have won the cup without him. He was third on the team in points. He was huge in the comeback against the Devils. He has been pretty solid in the playoffs most years. Perhaps he isn't in the elite of the league, but he produces consistently on offense and is valuable to any team that is making a cup run. THe problem with the Habs is they didn't have any top players so Koivu and Kovalev were forced to be top players. They were both suited to playing in a secondary scoring role.

I still don't know why the team signed Gionta, Spacek, and Gill. That money could have been saved and used to sign Kovy and Koivu. our team would be much, much stronger I feel.

Thread is now re-opened. While I fully understand the urge to retaliate when someone criticizes the Montreal Canadiens or a player, it is still against the forum rules. When someone comes here and it's clear that he's a troll, just report the posts and we'll take care of it. I just had to delete 3 pages of posts instead of just a couple of posts if a few members here would have just ignored him.

In the future, please report the posts without engaging in a flaming match. I know it's hard, especially when someone insults your team or your country, but exercising self-discipline and not replying is always the best option. We will deal with all trolls accordingly.

Thank you all.

The problem with Montreal is that when you win they think you are Guy Lafleur's second coming, and when you lose they want to run you out of town. Granted Kovy will never be on the level of the greats, but he has the most talent that MTL has seen in quite some time. Maybe he couldnt maintain the consistency due to the fact that the rest of the team SUCKS, not for lack of effort. But i guess these Habs fans would rather see Tomas Plekanec give it his all every night, or Steve Begin LOL The problem w. the habs is that their management either thinks 1 good player is going to do it all for them, or that a bunch of really crappy players will combine to form something that will win them games. Unfortunately those are both very flawed philosophies

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on any player and all opinions should be respected if presented intelligently. I know Kovy had a ton of die hard fans, and more power to them. My problem with Kovy is, I honestly believe he could be considered top 5 of all time when it comes to pure talent. It frustrated me to no end that he didn't come out and give 100% every night. If Kovy had Koivu's heart or Koivu had Kovy's talent...we'd have had a hall of famer. I kept hoping when Kovy had a couple of good games that the real Kovy was finally here...then he'd go out and dog it for 20 games or get in to off ice game playing...very frustrating.

Oh, right. He 'sat on his hands' for two days. But Gainey certainly didn't 'sit on his hands' for the past three months, keeping everyone in limbo about whether they'd be offered contracts.

And like I said, why was it so damn necessary to sign Brian Gionta by the end of the first day of free agency? He's not an elite player. If he hadn't signed, I'm sure we could have found an adequate replacement in-house or maybe on the UFA market for less term.

Pretty much gripe with the signing of Gionta as well. We could have gotten a much better player or simply kept Kovalev and Koivu, the latter of which I prefer and given their age they likely would not remain on the books for long, as has been stated. I also do not believe Cammy signed with us only because of Gomez. My assumption is he was thinking "Ugh, Plekanec?" since we had already publicly made note that Koivu was given no offer. So who's to say Cammy wouldn't have come had we signed Koivu.

Who cares, if it wins games?

Id rather fall asleep & wake up to a stanley cup than be on the edge of my seat & miss the playoffs.

I care. I have absolutely no interest in a team who is so boring it is akin to watching paint dry. I watch hockey to be entertained by fast pace, skilled action or a slugfest onslaught (Anaheim style) not to say "Yay, team won." If the Habs are dull and boring, I will often regulate the team to "Check on NHL.com or catch Sportscentre." I would rather see an exciting team lose than a boring team win.

:lol::lol::lol:

Alex Tanguay - Mikhail Grabovski - Alexi Kovalev

? - Mike Komisarek

They would just need one more of our d-men!

Worse...

Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev

And see they trade for Souray, Streit or Huet. Good lord that would be humiliating.

Pretty much gripe with the signing of Gionta as well. We could have gotten a much better player or simply kept Kovalev and Koivu, the latter of which I prefer and given their age they likely would not remain on the books for long, as has been stated. I also do not believe Cammy signed with us only because of Gomez. My assumption is he was thinking "Ugh, Plekanec?" since we had already publicly made note that Koivu was given no offer. So who's to say Cammy wouldn't have come had we signed Koivu.

I care. I have absolutely no interest in a team who is so boring it is akin to watching paint dry. I watch hockey to be entertained by fast pace, skilled action or a slugfest onslaught (Anaheim style) not to say "Yay, team won." If the Habs are dull and boring, I will often regulate the team to "Check on NHL.com or catch Sportscentre." I would rather see an exciting team lose than a boring team win.

Worse...

Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev

And see they trade for Souray, Streit or Huet. Good lord that would be humiliating.

Excellent post.

I don't know guys. Take the money out of the equation for a moment and compare the 5 new players to 5 that are gone:

Gomez- Koivu

Gionta- Tanguay

Camilleri- Kovalev

Spacek- Komisarek

Gill- Boullion

I think we are coming out ahead in production . A change had to be made, and I would take Gomez over Gaborik any day of the week if I had my choice.

We couldn't have kept koivu he was pretty much 100% not coming back to the habs the way BG handled things and as for kovy it was almost the same only thing is he got an offer but kovy didn't take it in time so BG decided he wasnt going to sit on his hands this off season and go with his game plan that started with spacek and gill then cammi then gionta. Even if we did have the money from not signing gionta who else on forward can we get that can adapt the most to JM system? even if he is over priced thats the way UFA season goes you over pay for what you want and i honestly believe BG got first dibs on all the players he wanted in the UFA season and now hes just tuning the team with maybe one more signing on defence and some RFA signings.

If the rumour that Kovalev has signed for Ottawa (or Toronto for that matter), it will be interesting to see Habs reactions in the home games against whoever he plays for. Also, apparently a factor in Kovalev's decision is being able to keep his new residence in Montreal. Which basically leaves Ottawa

Archived