The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Kovalev Gone!!!!! Signed With Ottawa

kiprusoffk

i know he had his faults,,,,but this is a sad day for me.....i am a 30 year old man who feels like a 15 year old fan. i really really really wanted to see kovalev play this year for the habs...but he will light it up for the sens...just wait and see.........good look kovalev

Sucks to see talent like that go to a team that we play 6 times next year.. But i think its better to have gionta/cammi.. they will show up everynight. and i think there will be a little less controversy now.. good luck to him in the future. he got good money and now he can drive the sens fans nuts

I hear you Bigs. My two favourite players are gone, Kovy and Koivu. It would have been nice to keep them around but I can see the logic of the organization parting ways with them. While I don't fully agree with Gainey's decision, I respect the fact that he had the guts to make tough decisions and head in a direction that he feels will help the Habs win.

Best of luck to Kovy with his new team, he will be missed.

agreed. it's a very sad day for me and i will miss both of them, but come october i know i'll be excited to see a new era begin. i just need some time to mourn... :(:)

I'm really wishing we had sent at least a few ex-players out west. So many teams in our conference with players from our team on them now and some could have a chip on their shoulder. Streit in NYI, Ryder in Boston, now with Begin. Higgins with NYR, Komi with the Leafs and now Kovy with the Sens. At this rate, Koivu is going to sign in Buffalo and I wouldn't be surprised to see our blue line cast offs sign with Caps, Pens, Devils, etc. :P

So TSN says 2 year deal at $5 million a year...So Montreal chose Gionta over Kovalev essentially.

Not really, seeing as Kovalev allegedly didn't respond to Gainey's offer, sounds like Kovalev really made the choice to me. Be that as it is, I'd still take Gionta over Kovy if he gives 100% every game. Also he's 6 years younger and potted 60 points vs Kovy's 65 last year. I for one am happy with the trade off if the guy has heart.

Not really, seeing as Kovalev allegedly didn't respond to Gainey's offer, sounds like Kovalev really made the choice to me. Be that as it is, I'd still take Gionta over Kovy if he gives 100% every game. Also he's 6 years younger and potted 60 points vs Kovy's 65 last year. I for one am happy with the trade off if the guy has heart.

Exactly

Good Luck to you Kovy with your new team. May you have tons of success, barring 6 games ( people say you float some games so hopefully you'll choose the 6 VS the Habs ). ;)

I'm really wishing we had sent at least a few ex-players out west. So many teams in our conference with players from our team on them now and some could have a chip on their shoulder. Streit in NYI, Ryder in Boston, now with Begin. Higgins with NYR, Komi with the Leafs and now Kovy with the Sens. At this rate, Koivu is going to sign in Buffalo and I wouldn't be surprised to see our blue line cast offs sign with Caps, Pens, Devils, etc. :P

:lol:

wow. four ex-habs in our division. what a disaster... <_<

i thought everyone wanted to play in the west?! what happened?!

this is going to be an interesting year...

please koivu...go west...

"Fact of the matter is, Gainey didn't build us a contending team..." Is this true? I mean really, Gainey addressed a lot of needs for the team last year by getting a top three forward in Tanguay and a big centre in Lang and after watching all the youngins play so well the year before, any GM would believe that the holes or weaknesses were filled. The team was a contending team, based on statistics. No one could have predicted what happened last year, based on the statistics. I don't think it is a matter that Gainey admits his mistake, I think it is more the fact that, as you say, the window closed. With the window closing, it is time to move on and acquire a new core of players because the old core did not get it done. In my opinion, a team can be built so good that it can win, which Gainey did but only if the players will it, which they didn't.

Well if Gainey was, as you say filling holes, why has he not filled the biggest hole? Getting us a reliable goalie, because unless Halaks is now the starter ( which I doubt), Price has not proven that he is a #1 goalie, so do we wait until he tanks again before doing something or maybe we should get someone reliable now while we still have the money!

i know he had his faults,,,,but this is a sad day for me.....i am a 30 year old man who feels like a 15 year old fan. i really really really wanted to see kovalev play this year for the habs...but he will light it up for the sens...just wait and see.........good look kovalev

same here man, 27 years of age and i feel like a kid today. go kovy go!!! now I need a new player for my sig or perhaps i will leave just leave it blank, just like the spot for a captain on this team is now completely blank

What surprises me is the yearly cap hit at 5 mil, if that was Kovy's demands, wouldn't the Habs prefer him over Gionta?

You get a better player, plus you get him off the cap earlier and let your young wingers steps into the role in 2 years time.

That all depends on what you look for in your players. I happen to think Gionta is a better player than Kovalev. There's no denying Kovy's skill with the puck, but that's all he has. Kovalev is a really one dimensional player. He has some amazing stick handling skills and has a wicked shot from the top if the faceoff circles. Other teams and players catch on to that type of one dimensional play and eventually shut it down. No wonder Kovy has been so inconsistent.

A player like Gionta, however, may not have as much skill with the puck, but he brings so much more without the puck. He is a far more balanced player than Kovalev. Gionta though smaller in stature, plays bigger than Kovalev. Gionta goes hard to the net, he checks hard in the corners. He can set guys up, and he can definitely put the puck in the net as well. He's the kind of player that causes havoc for the other teams because he's so fast and he plays hard. He works at you until he finds your weakness and exploits it. He doesn't expect the puck to just come to him, he goes and gets it. That's the type of play I'd like to see in Montreal for a change.

Koivu could do that. Kostopoulus and Lapierre did that last year. But not Kovy. Not Tanguay.

So in the end Kovalev comes out to be the one who is over paid and not Gionta. But again, it's all about what you look for in your players.

wow some of the comments are surprising.

Congratulations to the Montreal Canadiens for not resigning Alex Kovalev.

It's time someone else deals with this 'glory hound'! Come on people do we not remember the last number of seasons? Sure he had a great season two years ago, but then where was he in the playoffs? I HOPE we are NOT building a team to just make it into the playoffs which is what we have had since 1994. I HOPE Bobby is building something to win the CUP. To win a CUP we need talent and experience. Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't Gionta and Gomez won CUPS? Kovy, won one 15 years ago and has done little since.

When our Habs needed leadership where was Kovy? He was skating up the ice with the puck, not looking to either wing, and skating directly into a pack of 3 opposing players, only to caugh up the puck and have it result in an odd man rush the other way and a goal on the defenseless Carey Price or Halak.

Listen, the losing mentality has to stop. Kudos to Bobby for having the balls to make changes this time around. He's blown it many times before, and I was honestly thinking he would blow it again. On one hand they aren't the changes I would have prefered, but at least they are changes.

Bigger problems then letting a self-serving winger who is inconsistant go, is not signing a caliber defensemen. Damn, I never thought I would say this, but Brian Burkie, is actually doing something in Toronto. Bobby is spending money, yes, making changes, yes, but are they the right changes?

On a parting note,

Merci, thank you Alex Kovalev, you were a great citizen in montreal, as for your on Ice performances, congratulations on a job.... Done.

That all depends on what you look for in your players. I happen to think Gionta is a better player than Kovalev. There's no denying Kovy's skill with the puck, but that's all he has. Kovalev is a really one dimensional player. He has some amazing stick handling skills and has a wicked shot from the top if the faceoff circles. Other teams and players catch on to that type of one dimensional play and eventually shut it down. No wonder Kovy has been so inconsistent.

A player like Gionta, however, may not have as much skill with the puck, but he brings so much more without the puck. He is a far more balanced player than Kovalev. Gionta though smaller in stature, plays bigger than Kovalev. Gionta goes hard to the net, he checks hard in the corners. He can set guys up, and he can definitely put the puck in the net as well. He's the kind of player that causes havoc for the other teams because he's so fast and he plays hard. He works at you until he finds your weakness and exploits it. He doesn't expect the puck to just come to him, he goes and gets it. That's the type of play I'd like to see in Montreal for a change.

Koivu could do that. Kostopoulus and Lapierre did that last year. But not Kovy. Not Tanguay.

So in the end Kovalev comes out to be the one who is over paid and not Gionta. But again, it's all about what you look for in your players.

i guess we will see this season, if these two acquisitions gomez and gionta, play like they have last year we are screwed, if they play like they did in N-E-W Jerz then we'll be looking good as a team...hard to tell though as they have both been quite inconsistent much more so then KOVY!

wow some of the comments are surprising.

Congratulations to the Montreal Canadiens for not resigning Alex Kovalev.

It's time someone else deals with this 'glory hound'! Come on people do we not remember the last number of seasons? Sure he had a great season two years ago, but then where was he in the playoffs? I HOPE we are NOT building a team to just make it into the playoffs which is what we have had since 1994. I HOPE Bobby is building something to win the CUP. To win a CUP we need talent and experience. Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't Gionta and Gomez won CUPS? Kovy, won one 15 years ago and has done little since.

When our Habs needed leadership where was Kovy? He was skating up the ice with the puck, not looking to either wing, and skating directly into a pack of 3 opposing players, only to caugh up the puck and have it result in an odd man rush the other way and a goal on the defenseless Carey Price or Halak.

Listen, the losing mentality has to stop. Kudos to Bobby for having the balls to make changes this time around. He's blown it many times before, and I was honestly thinking he would blow it again. On one hand they aren't the changes I would have prefered, but at least they are changes.

Bigger problems then letting a self-serving winger who is inconsistant go, is not signing a caliber defensemen. Damn, I never thought I would say this, but Brian Burkie, is actually doing something in Toronto. Bobby is spending money, yes, making changes, yes, but are they the right changes?

On a parting note,

Merci, thank you Alex Kovalev, you were a great citizen in montreal, as for your on Ice performances, congratulations on a job.... Done.

What was wrong with his playoff performances in Montreal? He had nearly a point per game in the playoffs. The team just sucked to much for a 35/36 year old player to carry it on his back by himself. I'm also not sure what was wrong with his regular seasons. 60+ points and 20+ goals a year is no good for 4.5 million a year in today's NHL?

I feel sad about Kovalev finally signing with another team. Maybe so he was part of the "old core who couldnt get it done", but dont forgett the injury trouble we had, imo the biggest reason we failed the last seasons. Still I believe, with right additions, we could have kept at least part of the old core, keep the face and the identity. But you know, I can keep on going about this but that doesnt change a thing.

Good Luck Kovalev.

What was wrong with his playoff performances in Montreal? He had nearly a point per game in the playoffs. The team just sucked to much for a 35/36 year old player to carry it on his back by himself. I'm also not sure what was wrong with his regular seasons. 60+ points and 20+ goals a year is no good for 4.5 million a year in today's NHL?

To me he was lackluster in his last two playoff appearances. He didn't seem to motivate anyone and actually may have helped to divide the dressing room. And no I don't think a 20 goal scorer should be considered a first line player. Indeed, what the problem is or was with the habs is that they never did have any first line players. Only second line players being expected to play like a first line.

What is the status on Tanguay is he coming back?

Archived