The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Kovalev Gone!!!!! Signed With Ottawa

To me he was lackluster in his last two playoff appearances. He didn't seem to motivate anyone and actually may have helped to divide the dressing room. And no I don't think a 20 goal scorer should be considered a first line player. Indeed, what the problem is or was with the habs is that they never did have any first line players. Only second line players being expected to play like a first line.

What is the status on Tanguay is he coming back?

what did gomez have, 16 goals in each of the past 2 seasons, gionta had 20 last year averaged about 22 over the past 3 seasons, wow i guess we still really need a first line!

what did gomez have last year 16 goals in each of the past 2 seasons, gionta had 20 last year averaged about 22 over the past 3 seasons, wow i guess we really need a first line!

Notice I didn't say we had a first line... Let's see how this shakes out. But from the look of it now, we have the same old team... 'just gonna make the playoffs' - I think we want a cup. If Gainey pulls off a mediocre team this year he should be booted. This is the real 100th anniversery and its time to win a cup.

Que sera sera who needs a 36 year old for another two years. this is the same guy who took time off last season. Can you say 'Diva'.

This should be good for the Ottawa / Montreal rivalry.

Same with Komy - should make for another good rivalry. The Leafs also signed Francois Beauchemin. I was hoping the HABS would sign him. Toronto's Defence is starting to shape up.

Higgins a Ranger, Komi a Leaf, Kovi a Sen, what's next Koivu a Bruin?

I understand we had to part ways but why did Komi and Kovy have to make it SO painful!

Please Koivu just sign with the Wild so we can all at least feel good about the brotherly story!

BTW, anybody notice that our rivals all seem to think our players were pretty good?

Ryder signed with Bruins, so did Begin.

Komi with the Leafs.

Kovy with the Sens.

Rangers accepted Higgins.

Anybody else believing my longstanding theory that last season's roster was solid on paper but only shaky between the ears thanks to us, mostly?

Notice I didn't say we had a first line... Let's see how this shakes out. But from the look of it now, we have the same old team... 'just gonna make the playoffs' - I think we want a cup. If Gainey pulls off a mediocre team this year he should be booted. This is the real 100th anniversery and its time to win a cup.

completely agree, thats why i said we still need a first line, should be an interesting season, who do you think should wear the "C" as i have no clue at this point...i would have to say nobody at this point and see who steps up as a leader during the year.

From what I see after last season change had to happen. It was not a good season at all. This is what everyone wanted ....CHANGE....well, here it is. I think he made some good moves and again what really happens behind the scene...who knows. I have a good feeling about this. New players with a desire to play well for the habs, excited to be there. Who knows but these are the changes that many asked for from coaching, goalie coaching and players.

I would have liked to have seen Kovy stay on and Komy but again we don't know the whole story....

Any way, these will be OUR HABS.......I'm excited for the upcoming season....C'MON OCTOBER!!

Sorry Kovy lovers but Bob made the right decision in withdrawing his offer to Alex. If Kovy REALLY wanted to stay, his contract provided further financial stability, which is what every player wants. Kovy chose to wait it out to see if other offers were better. As well, I remember through the last half of the season and playoffs, people sounding off here that the team wasn't very good and it is time to blow it up. well, Bob has just done that and good for him! What was here ,wasn't working, the effort, the attitude the results. he has kept players who really want to succeed in Montreal and added some skill and experience. Size is only one component to success, it certainly does not guarentee it. I for one, am glad of the changes made and feel the addition of the signees less the players not returning makes the team much stronger.

Sorry Kovy lovers but Bob made the right decision in withdrawing his offer to Alex. If Kovy REALLY wanted to stay, his contract provided further financial stability, which is what every player wants. Kovy chose to wait it out to see if other offers were better. As well, I remember through the last half of the season and playoffs, people sounding off here that the team wasn't very good and it is time to blow it up. well, Bob has just done that and good for him! What was here ,wasn't working, the effort, the attitude the results. he has kept players who really want to succeed in Montreal and added some skill and experience. Size is only one component to success, it certainly does not guarentee it. I for one, am glad of the changes made and feel the addition of the signees less the players not returning makes the team much stronger.

This team has lost its identity.

lol...what "identity" are you talking about?...the one where we barely make the playoffs and then barely make it out of the first round if lucky?...if thats the identity then good riddance...what we did lose is some players...but the CH stays on that jersey in montreal forever...this teams identity has not been built on just 5-6 players...some people are acting like balsille bought the team and is going to move it out of montreal...this team is 100 years old...it has 24 stanely cups...those 24 cups were not won by 1 person...but many players with many teams...yes we went through stretches that saw players win 10 cups with the team...but that was back then and even then im sure the team went through changes...relax people this is NOT that serious...

i would also like to add that it is not like we are losing players who were part of a dynasty here in montreal lol this is the way some people are acting...as if we had one of the greatest dynasties in hockey history and bob just split it up...that is hardly the case...lol

i would also like to add that it is not like we are losing players who were part of a dynasty here in montreal lol this is the way some people are acting...as if we had one of the greatest dynasties in hockey history and bob just split it up...that is hardly the case...lol

Agreed -- I liked Kovy but it was'nt working with him .

Agreed -- I liked Kovy but it was'nt working with him .

Definately didn't bring it all the time.Classic underachiever.Would be a great player for a contender,which we are far from..Obviously went to the high bidder because Ottawa is a bad team.

You know what! I am glad he is gone.

Barely showed up in the regular season, never showed up in the Playoffs. IMO, if he was signed then the Habs are a worse team. The behind closed doors factor. I mean Gainey had to suspend him this past season.

See ya later maybe he might show up for the 6 games against us.

Thanks Bob for making my wish come true!

You know what! I am glad he is gone.

Barely showed up in the regular season, never showed up in the Playoffs. IMO, if he was signed then the Habs are a worse team. The behind closed doors factor. I mean Gainey had to suspend him this past season.

See ya later maybe he might show up for the 6 games against us.

Thanks Bob for making my wish come true!

i have no problem with him not being on the roster anymore...but come on...in the 4 games we played this past playoffs he scored 2 goals and had 1 assist...11 points 5g 6a in 12 games in 07-08...7points 4g 3a in 6 games from 05-06...andddd 10 points 6g 4a in 11 games from the 03-04 season...so to say he doesnt thats not even true...kovalev is one of our few players from the departing group who actually showed up during the playoffs...if the rest of the players showed up we would have atleast a cup to show for it...those are some good numbers in my eyes...

I'll never forget Kovy's first playoff series in a Habs sweater against the Bruins. In one game he was slashed and coughed up the puck to a Bruins foward who zero'd in on our net and scored the game winner. Fans were all over him for that one. And then he came back and just about single-handedly beat the Bruins in the remainder of the series. Lots of entertainment from Kovy... like the time he rolled over on the ice after scoring an unbelievable goal in a comeback against the Rangers. Good luck to Kovy - he'll always be a Hab in my mind.

Well if Gainey was, as you say filling holes, why has he not filled the biggest hole? Getting us a reliable goalie, because unless Halaks is now the starter ( which I doubt), Price has not proven that he is a #1 goalie, so do we wait until he tanks again before doing something or maybe we should get someone reliable now while we still have the money!

Neither Price or Halak were the cause or root of our problems.

We had inconsistent offense and a lackluster defense, as well as, seemingly, no system for either. Add that to PP and injuries and I think both goalies did fairly well. When 40 shots against are par for the course, not counting the 5-10 that Komi blocked per game, then the last player you can blame is the goalie.

Sure, Price could have stolen more games and at times he was off his game, in addition to suffering an injury. That happens to any goaltender and there's more than one reason teams carry a backup. The only real problem with Price was the noticeable change in his style, which has hopefully been corrected with a new goalie coach.

I'll never forget Kovy's first playoff series in a Habs sweater against the Bruins. In one game he was slashed and coughed up the puck to a Bruins foward who zero'd in on our net and scored the game winner. Fans were all over him for that one. And then he came back and just about single-handedly beat the Bruins in the remainder of the series. Lots of entertainment from Kovy... like the time he rolled over on the ice after scoring an unbelievable goal in a comeback against the Rangers. Good luck to Kovy - he'll always be a Hab in my mind.

Your applauding him for his performance after diving??? I supported Kovy as a Hab, but those two incidents you mention, faking a slash injury leading to a goal against and faking an injury as a Ranger leading to a powerplay goal are the two most embarrassing moments of his career IMHO.

what did gomez have, 16 goals in each of the past 2 seasons, gionta had 20 last year averaged about 22 over the past 3 seasons, wow i guess we still really need a first line!

Gomez is a playmaker. What about Cammalleri's 39 goals last season?

lol...what "identity" are you talking about?...the one where we barely make the playoffs and then barely make it out of the first round if lucky?...if thats the identity then good riddance...what we did lose is some players...but the CH stays on that jersey in montreal forever...this teams identity has not been built on just 5-6 players...some people are acting like balsille bought the team and is going to move it out of montreal...this team is 100 years old...it has 24 stanely cups...those 24 cups were not won by 1 person...but many players with many teams...yes we went through stretches that saw players win 10 cups with the team...but that was back then and even then im sure the team went through changes...relax people this is NOT that serious...

great post.

as for kovy, i could do without him.

he was my favourite/most hated player at the same time.

Archived