The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Kovalev Gone!!!!! Signed With Ottawa

Your applauding him for his performance after diving??? I supported Kovy as a Hab, but those two incidents you mention, faking a slash injury leading to a goal against and faking an injury as a Ranger leading to a powerplay goal are the two most embarrassing moments of his career IMHO.

Not applauding what he did. They are simply pointing out that he made up for it by playing great the rest of the way. Generally Kovy has made up for his mistakes wich are usually far less then what he does positive for the team he plays for.

Gomez is a playmaker. What about Cammalleri's 39 goals last season?

you should have noticed that i did not mention cammalleri in the post, i have no problem with that signing and i am sure he would have come here if BG signed someone other than gomez...gomez is terrible for almost 9 million a year and gionta is questionable at best...i have watched gainey let so many players walk over his career as our GM and now most of these players are going to rival teams...i wonder if he will trade markov for third round draft picks this year, it's certainly possible given his track record

lol...what "identity" are you talking about?...the one where we barely make the playoffs and then barely make it out of the first round if lucky?...if thats the identity then good riddance...what we did lose is some players...but the CH stays on that jersey in montreal forever...this teams identity has not been built on just 5-6 players...some people are acting like balsille bought the team and is going to move it out of montreal...this team is 100 years old...it has 24 stanely cups...those 24 cups were not won by 1 person...but many players with many teams...yes we went through stretches that saw players win 10 cups with the team...but that was back then and even then im sure the team went through changes...relax people this is NOT that serious...

Overturning half your roster and ditching your captain of 9 seasons is losing its identity. It makes as much sense as a fan changing teams because their team isn't winning. The people we need here are the people who want to play here, I'd much rather wait and see if this team, which was oh so close to being competitive if it wasn't for poor coaching and an injury streak from hell, fight and battle for a stanley cup than overturn the roster every season until one of them lucks out and wins a championship.

Overturning half your roster and ditching your captain of 9 seasons is losing its identity. It makes as much sense as a fan changing teams because their team isn't winning. The people we need here are the people who want to play here, I'd much rather wait and see if this team, which was oh so close to being competitive if it wasn't for poor coaching and an injury streak from hell, fight and battle for a stanley cup than overturn the roster every season until one of them lucks out and wins a championship.

what identity though...we didnt have a dynasty...what was the identity of this team? of that group of players?? who wanted to stay here? kovalev, koivu, tanguay? kovalev sat on an offer and used it to get 5 mil, komiserek clearly didnt want to come back he signed in toronto for 500k more...so that leaves koivu and tanguay...tanguay didnt show enough to warrent a contract in my opinion...hes been an injury case for a few years now...and koivu, bless the guy, but all things come to an end and this was the time to end it...does the team lose its identity? to me, no...because to me the identity of this team is more than the players who are playing now...the logo, the history, the expectations all add to the identity of this team...it is up to the players to uphold the traditions of this team and live up to its identity and if they dont do it, well then time to move on and bring a new group in and give them a chance...what this off season did was switch up the chemistry, but chemistry can be molded and built and that too is up to the players...so does getting ride of these guys take away from the identity of the montreal canadiens? no, because the identity of this team is 24 stanley cups, heros, legends, and champions...if anything keeping the same players was taking away from this teams identity...so lets see if this new squad can re-capture it and hold onto it...

Neither Price or Halak were the cause or root of our problems.

We had inconsistent offense and a lackluster defense, as well as, seemingly, no system for either. Add that to PP and injuries and I think both goalies did fairly well. When 40 shots against are par for the course, not counting the 5-10 that Komi blocked per game, then the last player you can blame is the goalie.

Sure, Price could have stolen more games and at times he was off his game, in addition to suffering an injury. That happens to any goaltender and there's more than one reason teams carry a backup. The only real problem with Price was the noticeable change in his style, which has hopefully been corrected with a new goalie coach.

+1

lol...what "identity" are you talking about?...the one where we barely make the playoffs and then barely make it out of the first round if lucky?...if thats the identity then good riddance...what we did lose is some players...but the CH stays on that jersey in montreal forever...this teams identity has not been built on just 5-6 players...some people are acting like balsille bought the team and is going to move it out of montreal...this team is 100 years old...it has 24 stanely cups...those 24 cups were not won by 1 person...but many players with many teams...yes we went through stretches that saw players win 10 cups with the team...but that was back then and even then im sure the team went through changes...relax people this is NOT that serious...

Here here very well said. This team wasn't working, Bob blew it up and gave it a whole new identity in just 2 days. This team wasn't going anywhere quick despite Kovalev's talent (when he actually played well).

One paper, yes but in application - in this situation - i dont agree.

The problem we had is the sheer volume of UFA this year...but many - most - of them were not "impact" players.

Koivu, Kovalev, Komi were impact players who had a strong fan base. I guess you can add higgins in there two as he was traded at the same time.

Tanguay, Lang, Schneider were good players who have all played what, less than 50 games?

Kosto, Boullion, Dandy (am i missing anyone?) - just spare parts.

So the only real "identity" of the team were the first 3 or 4 players mentioned. They were replaced by some excellent players in their own rights. As much as id like Koivu back, if bob truly felt the team needs a "new direction" it would be silly to bring back the face of the franchise. Sad to see him go, but I understand (maybe dont agree with, but understand) Gainey's thought process.

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
My fondest memory of Kovy will always be the flattening of Tucker. Poetry in motion. :D:D

Oh hell yeah! :D:D

This was the beginning of the end for Tucker as well... that hit followed by Bouillon's right hand the following year.

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
:(

That's all I have to say lol. It's sad, but.. let's hope Bob's plan will work... <_<

If not, I'll be part of the angry mob who'd rip him into pieces until he gets sacked by the upper direction. <_<

If not, I'll be part of the angry mob who'd rip him into pieces until he gets sacked by the upper direction. <_<

come on theres no way youd get your hands on him ... gaineys a tank ... i put my money on gainey!! :P

Kovelev is 10 times the player that Gionta and Gomez are, we are going to regret this when Ottawa beats the hell of us. Gionta and Gomez were good together YEARS ago but have not done anything to prove they still have it. I feel like burning my habs jersey I am so pissed. I have been a hab fan since 1956 and have watch more Great players been let go by stupid decisions, that have come back to haunt us. The drive for twenty five is dead for now... (I hope they make me a liar, but I doubt it).

Kovelev is 10 times the player that Gionta and Gomez are, we are going to regret this when Ottawa beats the hell of us. Gionta and Gomez were good together YEARS ago but have not done anything to prove they still have it. I feel like burning my habs jersey I am so pissed. I have been a hab fan since 1956 and have watch more Great players been let go by stupid decisions, that have come back to haunt us. The drive for twenty five is dead for now... (I hope they make me a liar, but I doubt it).

well ... gainey took a risk ... and if i read your signature correctly ... :P

Chill out, my fellow Habs fan. Wait for Gomez and Gionta to play badly to cry to heavens. My take on this is that Kovalev will do more of the same in Ottawa, and won't be missed long.

I already don't.

I'll certainly will miss the abundantly skilled Kovy with a wicked shot. However, I'm not going to miss the turnover Kovy, the frustrated Kovy, the selfish Kovy and the Kovy that left his linemates wondering what they should do.

A new season is almost here and I'll miss the players gone. I'll follow them and hope the best for them except when they play the Habs.

If Kovalev sat on Montreal's offer I don't see how you can hold Gainey accountable. Maybe Gainey wanted to find out just how bad some players want to be in Montreal. Yes, yes and yes negotiate during the season. IDK, player signs contract, gets in a comfy zone and coasts the rest of the way. I don't know Gainey's reason but I'm willing to trust his before my own I guess.

I have to say that I was fond of Kovalev as I am sure many of you were when he was on his game. But overall his inconsistancy can be annoying to fans. One year he has 18 goals then 35, then 26, I will never ever doubt the skill that he had because it was always there and we saw it for many years. We saw the clutch playoff goals, we saw great stickhandling, but I will always question if he always gave it 100% during every game of the season, sometimes it appeared to me as if he wasn't interested. Anyway though I expect Alex to have a good year in Ottawa probably hitting around 30 goals and 70 points

A team is more than one player - everyone here is always out for changes - well we got them - seriously though - how can you expect changes without changing the players.

I have to say that I was fond of Kovalev as I am sure many of you were when he was on his game. But overall his inconsistancy can be annoying to fans. One year he has 18 goals then 35, then 26, I will never ever doubt the skill that he had because it was always there and we saw it for many years. We saw the clutch playoff goals, we saw great stickhandling, but I will always question if he always gave it 100% during every game of the season, sometimes it appeared to me as if he wasn't interested. Anyway though I expect Alex to have a good year in Ottawa probably hitting around 30 goals and 70 points

This is perfect - Kovy is a magician out there - he will be missed - but time to look forward to fall. Would we feel the same way if they all retired or is it just because change is scary

While it is unfortunate that Kovalev had to move on, he really has no one to blame but himself. The opportunity was there for him to sign with the Habs but ultimately, he chose not to. I have seen a lot of things written in this thread, everything from ‘Kovalev didn’t have enough time, he only had two days,’ to ‘this team has lost its identity.’ How ridiculously naïve, however, I suppose that blaming management is the ‘in’ thing to do around this board lately. Didn’t have enough time? Five years in the organization not enough time? What about the UFAs who signed on July first, how did they find the time in only a few hours to sign with their respective teams? Wow, it boggles the mind!! A ridiculous argument designed to fuel the hatred some posters have for management. Lost the identity of the team? Equally as ridiculous, this team is the sum of its players. This team’s identity is the ‘Montreal Canadiens,’ not the Montreal Kovalevs or the Montreal Koivus, more asinine arguments used for nothing more than to vent your emotional bias at the management you detest.

I will miss Alex Kovalev. I will miss the magic he created with the puck. I will miss him flying down the wing, weaving through defensemen like he was at practice going around pylons. I will miss the greatest wrist shot I have ever seen. I will miss the way I came out of my seat in anticipation as to what he would do next. I will miss the shadow of Guy Lafleur I saw when that helmet flew off.

I am a fan of the Montreal Canadiens and although I am disappointed to see a player I enjoyed watching leave the organization, I cannot blame the organization nor can I blame the player. We made an offer, Alex made his choice, that my friends is business, to think otherwise, to buy into what you read from the Mediots, or posters on this board and their ad hominem arguments, is not using your head. I have seen many, many, many players come and go over 30 plus years, many of a higher quality than Alex Kovalev, but this is my team, and change is a part of any organization. I think in the end, we will find that this change was necessary.

Good luck to Alex, but most importantly:

GO HABS GO! GO HABS GO! GO HABS GO!

While it is unfortunate that Kovalev had to move on, he really has no one to blame but himself. The opportunity was there for him to sign with the Habs but ultimately, he chose not to. I have seen a lot of things written in this thread, everything from ‘Kovalev didn’t have enough time, he only had two days,’ to ‘this team has lost its identity.’ How ridiculously naïve, however, I suppose that blaming management is the ‘in’ thing to do around this board lately. Didn’t have enough time? Five years in the organization not enough time? What about the UFAs who signed on July first, how did they find the time in only a few hours to sign with their respective teams? Wow, it boggles the mind!! A ridiculous argument designed to fuel the hatred some posters have for management. Lost the identity of the team? Equally as ridiculous, this team is the sum of its players. This team’s identity is the ‘Montreal Canadiens,’ not the Montreal Kovalevs or the Montreal Koivus, more asinine arguments used for nothing more than to vent your emotional bias at the management you detest.

I will miss Alex Kovalev. I will miss the magic he created with the puck. I will miss him flying down the wing, weaving through defensemen like he was at practice going around pylons. I will miss the greatest wrist shot I have ever seen. I will miss the way I came out of my seat in anticipation as to what he would do next. I will miss the shadow of Guy Lafleur I saw when that helmet flew off.

I am a fan of the Montreal Canadiens and although I am disappointed to see a player I enjoyed watching leave the organization, I cannot blame the organization nor can I blame the player. We made an offer, Alex made his choice, that my friends is business, to think otherwise, to buy into what you read from the Mediots, or posters on this board and their ad hominem arguments, is not using your head. I have seen many, many, many players come and go over 30 plus years, many of a higher quality than Alex Kovalev, but this is my team, and change is a part of any organization. I think in the end, we will find that this change was necessary.

Good luck to Alex, but most importantly:

GO HABS GO! GO HABS GO! GO HABS GO!

WELL SAID -(QUOTE OF THE DAY IN MY BOOK)

I have been a fan over 40 years and I agree whole- heartedly.

Archived