The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Kovalev Gone!!!!! Signed With Ottawa

kiprusoffk

This is perfect - Kovy is a magician out there - he will be missed - but time to look forward to fall. Would we feel the same way if they all retired or is it just because change is scary

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Change is a scary thing to cope with. I bet what most of the fans (myself included) were expecting was the signing of a couple of key players that would enhance the existing team, rather than totally gutting the team and changing the entire face...We want to hold on to at least one old player and cheer them on and say "We finally got some good players for that player to play with. Now our team is better!" But what we are given is that all our favorite players were given the boot, and are looking at something that doesn't look anything like our old team....The team that we were rooting for when they were winning. The team that we were complaining about when they weren't doing so hot. We have gone through so many ups and downs with this team we find ourselves emotionally linked now. To have Gainey take all of that away from us and say "Here, now deal with this team." really puts us in an awkward position. For me a face change is suppose to happen gradually with a player here and a player there over the course of a few years. But what we have been given is a shock to the system, and we resent Gainey for that....For me personally, I resent Gainey for taking away certain players that I was cheering for. I think his inability to deal with players BEFORE free agency, and his sit-on-my-hands-and-wait attitude has (and will continue) to sink this great team of ours. We need a new GM.

While it is unfortunate that Kovalev had to move on, he really has no one to blame but himself. The opportunity was there for him to sign with the Habs but ultimately, he chose not to. I have seen a lot of things written in this thread, everything from ‘Kovalev didn’t have enough time, he only had two days,’ to ‘this team has lost its identity.’ How ridiculously naïve, however, I suppose that blaming management is the ‘in’ thing to do around this board lately. Didn’t have enough time? Five years in the organization not enough time? What about the UFAs who signed on July first, how did they find the time in only a few hours to sign with their respective teams? Wow, it boggles the mind!! A ridiculous argument designed to fuel the hatred some posters have for management. Lost the identity of the team? Equally as ridiculous, this team is the sum of its players. This team’s identity is the ‘Montreal Canadiens,’ not the Montreal Kovalevs or the Montreal Koivus, more asinine arguments used for nothing more than to vent your emotional bias at the management you detest.

I will miss Alex Kovalev. I will miss the magic he created with the puck. I will miss him flying down the wing, weaving through defensemen like he was at practice going around pylons. I will miss the greatest wrist shot I have ever seen. I will miss the way I came out of my seat in anticipation as to what he would do next. I will miss the shadow of Guy Lafleur I saw when that helmet flew off.

I am a fan of the Montreal Canadiens and although I am disappointed to see a player I enjoyed watching leave the organization, I cannot blame the organization nor can I blame the player. We made an offer, Alex made his choice, that my friends is business, to think otherwise, to buy into what you read from the Mediots, or posters on this board and their ad hominem arguments, is not using your head. I have seen many, many, many players come and go over 30 plus years, many of a higher quality than Alex Kovalev, but this is my team, and change is a part of any organization. I think in the end, we will find that this change was necessary.

Good luck to Alex, but most importantly:

GO HABS GO! GO HABS GO! GO HABS GO!

Excellent post Primus. While I am bitter as well and while I will miss Kovy in a Habs jersey, no single player will ever change my loyalty to the Habs.

While it is unfortunate that Kovalev had to move on, he really has no one to blame but himself. The opportunity was there for him to sign with the Habs but ultimately, he chose not to. I have seen a lot of things written in this thread, everything from ‘Kovalev didn’t have enough time, he only had two days,’ to ‘this team has lost its identity.’ How ridiculously naïve, however, I suppose that blaming management is the ‘in’ thing to do around this board lately. Didn’t have enough time? Five years in the organization not enough time? What about the UFAs who signed on July first, how did they find the time in only a few hours to sign with their respective teams? Wow, it boggles the mind!! A ridiculous argument designed to fuel the hatred some posters have for management. Lost the identity of the team? Equally as ridiculous, this team is the sum of its players. This team’s identity is the ‘Montreal Canadiens,’ not the Montreal Kovalevs or the Montreal Koivus, more asinine arguments used for nothing more than to vent your emotional bias at the management you detest.

I will miss Alex Kovalev. I will miss the magic he created with the puck. I will miss him flying down the wing, weaving through defensemen like he was at practice going around pylons. I will miss the greatest wrist shot I have ever seen. I will miss the way I came out of my seat in anticipation as to what he would do next. I will miss the shadow of Guy Lafleur I saw when that helmet flew off.

I am a fan of the Montreal Canadiens and although I am disappointed to see a player I enjoyed watching leave the organization, I cannot blame the organization nor can I blame the player. We made an offer, Alex made his choice, that my friends is business, to think otherwise, to buy into what you read from the Mediots, or posters on this board and their ad hominem arguments, is not using your head. I have seen many, many, many players come and go over 30 plus years, many of a higher quality than Alex Kovalev, but this is my team, and change is a part of any organization. I think in the end, we will find that this change was necessary.

Great post!

While it is unfortunate that Kovalev had to move on, he really has no one to blame but himself. The opportunity was there for him to sign with the Habs but ultimately, he chose not to. I have seen a lot of things written in this thread, everything from 'Kovalev didn't have enough time, he only had two days,' to 'this team has lost its identity.' How ridiculously naïve, however, I suppose that blaming management is the 'in' thing to do around this board lately. Didn't have enough time? Five years in the organization not enough time? What about the UFAs who signed on July first, how did they find the time in only a few hours to sign with their respective teams? Wow, it boggles the mind!! A ridiculous argument designed to fuel the hatred some posters have for management. Lost the identity of the team? Equally as ridiculous, this team is the sum of its players. This team's identity is the 'Montreal Canadiens,' not the Montreal Kovalevs or the Montreal Koivus, more asinine arguments used for nothing more than to vent your emotional bias at the management you detest.

Great post.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Change is a scary thing to cope with. I bet what most of the fans (myself included) were expecting was the signing of a couple of key players that would enhance the existing team, rather than totally gutting the team and changing the entire face...We want to hold on to at least one old player and cheer them on and say "We finally got some good players for that player to play with. Now our team is better!" But what we are given is that all our favorite players were given the boot, and are looking at something that doesn't look anything like our old team....The team that we were rooting for when they were winning. The team that we were complaining about when they weren't doing so hot. We have gone through so many ups and downs with this team we find ourselves emotionally linked now. To have Gainey take all of that away from us and say "Here, now deal with this team." really puts us in an awkward position. For me a face change is suppose to happen gradually with a player here and a player there over the course of a few years. But what we have been given is a shock to the system, and we resent Gainey for that....For me personally, I resent Gainey for taking away certain players that I was cheering for. I think his inability to deal with players BEFORE free agency, and his sit-on-my-hands-and-wait attitude has (and will continue) to sink this great team of ours. We need a new GM.

AMEN to that

Whatever, every season we complain about the lack of action on the montreal trade/UFA signing front. Every year we complain about kovalev and his pockets of complete lack of interest.. we cry and complain when UFA after UFA gets signed and montreal is left with the fringe pieces. Well Gainey finally goes out and gets some very high profile UFA's and another player via trade. He overpays for them, but big deal, it was either overpay or not get any of them at all. So let me ask all the people out there complaining about bobs spree, what would you rather have?? Bob not overpay these guys and in essence our team looks about exactly the same as last season?

The habbies had the talent but were a very uninspired bunch last year for whatever reason. To me thats a problem of coaching and leadership... BOTH of which have been changed this off season.

I do agree that these signings are either going to be an absolute miracle, or they will be a complete bust.. no in between, but whatever I like that we're taking that chance. We added plenty more scoring touch to replace the departures of kovalev and koivu (and theyre all North Americans.. which some people have complained that we lack)

I'm still holding out a bit of hope that maybe Lang can come back cheap for one year, but if he doesnt no big deal, he might not play the same after that injury.

Otherwise I dont mind the look of our team. As long as Pricey can bounce back from a disappointing season (like cam ward did last year) we could be going places.. and we now have lots of cup experience to help once we make the playoffs.

The organization has a tradition of winning!! And you dont sacrifice the chance of winning for sentimental reasons. Saku's time is up. I love the guy but theres no room for a small 1st/2nd line centre that decides to show up once every 3 months to have a big game.. And I just didnt like the leadership situation last season. Kovalev is the same thing.. maybe he has a great year.. maybe he doesnt.. All the fans and armchair GMs, along with the hockey analysts everywhere RIPPED kovalev for his half-assedness.. but now theyre ripping montreal for not keeping him around??

Meh, all I know is all these people would be 10x as mad if we didnt pick up anyone at all.

/rant

Well said, seems you can`t make people happy around here Bob gets ripped for not doing anything and when he does do something he gets ripped for not bringing players back that we could not win with.

I for one like the changes,I will miss Chris Higgins I think the NHL has not seen the best of Higgins yet.

I still would like to see some size up front I would suggest offering Bertuzzi a contract past history aside he is still a presence when he`s on the ice and when we go into Boston and Philly we will need the likes of a Bertuzzi and a healthy Laraque in the line up.

Next years success will depend on how the defense and goaltending pan out. I know one thing for sure Carey Price will love have Hal Gill clearing out the front of the net.

:lol: Was he kidding.

Anyways,I guess there's a lot of disappointed Kovy fans today.

All I 'll say is,same as I said to the others that have left...all the best in the future guys.

All the best in the future for our new looking team,GOHABS

As we get our rears handed to us on a regular basis by Ottawa,Toronta,Boston,New Yawk,Pitts.etc.etc!A lot of good the playoff experience will do us when we're watching everyone else play and we're out of it! :angry:

As we get our rears handed to us on a regular basis by Ottawa,Toronta,Boston,New Yawk,Pitts.etc.etc!A lot of good the playoff experience will do us when we're watching everyone else play and we're out of it! :angry:

Yeah and watch when gionta gomez and cammi light that lamp on fire against them it can go either way dude.

I agree...as much as I love Saku the last thing we need now is a small player.... The cards are saying go with the younger guys and a new direction ...I don't know if there is a top 4 d-man out there available for the money we have but it doesn't mean Bob can't package some players in a trade before the season starts and I'd be all for it...I can live with Kovy gone ..this is a new start ...Bob tried keeping the team and adding pieces (Lang,Tanguay Metropolit,Breezer ,Schneider) but the season never had consistancy...the same team as last year wouldn't be good enough...I think this is a better team today starting out with no distractions and a new coach...everybody should take a pill and give this team a chance...good job Bob for not sitting on your hands

It just looked like he was sitting on his hands,the truth is probably that he had a finger stuck for so long while doing nothing that he couldn't get off of his hands! :blink:

In retrospect this is not totally surprising on the part of Kovalev.

He is in the twilight of his career and he has a young family in Montreal. For both personal and family reasons the last thing he probably wants to do is uproot this life and move to another city.

Signing with Ottawa means he can rent an apartment there and when he has some down time he can drive the 2 hours to Montreal to see his family or they can come to visit him.

This could be a slight on his part but I doubt it.

Oh, right. He 'sat on his hands' for two days. But Gainey certainly didn't 'sit on his hands' for the past three months, keeping everyone in limbo about whether they'd be offered contracts.

And like I said, why was it so damn necessary to sign Brian Gionta by the end of the first day of free agency? He's not an elite player. If he hadn't signed, I'm sure we could have found an adequate replacement in-house or maybe on the UFA market for less term.

Perhaps because Sather would not have paid Bob the big under the table bonus for bailing him out so mhe could improve his club? :huh: We'll never know I guess! :unsure:

Well,he does need a job. :lol:

I can live with ottawa,but no more shipping players to the make-me-laughs

I don't particularly enjoy being beaten by Ottawa any more than by Tarranna;and I have always thought of Tor.as the Makemlaffs,but I have a sick feeling that we won't be laughing so much this season each time they hand us our butts!

As for the Senators?Well,I lived in Ottawa almost 15yrs.and still could not develop an allegiance to the Sens......who knows?Maybe now it will be more than tempting to become a fan of theirs since it would appear that they could very possibly have a very strong team this year and I would still get to marvel at the magnificent Kovy skills. :mellow:

I wish Kovalev the best in Ottawa. I think I have to slide Ottawa in my top 10 list because Kovalev is there now. When he was on his game, he was definitely on, and IMO, he has some of the best hands in the NHL. He can blow by anybody with his dekes, and he can also blast a puck in to the net. He has a rocket of a slap shot. If Kovalev didn't have a rough start to the year and all, and 'didn't feel like playing,' and played like he did to close out the year, I do believe he could've had a season similar to the one he had in 07/08.

It's time to move on. Everybody has to do it at some point in their career, whether they want to or not. Kovalev had some great years in Montreal, I do believe that he loved the city and loved to play here, and I do believe he wanted to return for another season, but cap space got eaten up quickly with the signings Gainey made, so he couldn't resign Kovalev. Kovalev has had some great years with us. I really wish him the best in Ottawa, and I hope some day, before he retires, he can return to Montreal for one more season.

Good luck, Kovalev.

Kovelev is 10 times the player that Gionta and Gomez are, we are going to regret this when Ottawa beats the hell of us. Gionta and Gomez were good together YEARS ago but have not done anything to prove they still have it. I feel like burning my habs jersey I am so pissed. I have been a hab fan since 1956 and have watch more Great players been let go by stupid decisions, that have come back to haunt us. The drive for twenty five is dead for now... (I hope they make me a liar, but I doubt it).

I started watching/following them around 1953/54 and have been a fanatic fan.At my age and being a cancer survivor,I can only hope that I'll get to live through the fabulous euphoria of winning another cup before I'm done.It's all well and good for some of these youngsters to say have patience.Only God knows if I will be able to keep up with Gainey's endless series of 5 yr plans!When you've loved a team as much as I have for so long ,it really hurts to see it get obliterated by a man you once thought was a hockey genius who is proving to be a super dupe!

Exactly!And some have commented on how Kovalev seemingly took too long to decide on BG's offer and/or used it to drum up a better offer.How can we be sure that the true reason Kovalev didn't jump right away at the offer was because it appeared to him that Gainey was again going to do nothing to improve the team so,he was better to go elsewhere?If Gainey truly believes that there is nothing wrong with keeping the majority of his players in the dark through the whole season and beyond while expecting them to jump when he snaps his fingers,he deseves a lttle bit of rude awakening! :blink:

I don't particularly enjoy being beaten by Ottawa any more than by Tarranna;and I have always thought of Tor.as the Makemlaffs,but I have a sick feeling that we won't be laughing so much this season each time they hand us our butts!

As for the Senators?Well,I lived in Ottawa almost 15yrs.and still could not develop an allegiance to the Sens......who knows?Maybe now it will be more than tempting to become a fan of theirs since it would appear that they could very possibly have a very strong team this year and I would still get to marvel at the magnificent Kovy skills. :mellow:

Well,to tell you the thruth Chromedome,I do not enjoy being beaten by anyteam,but I take it personally when the leafs do us in,man...hate those leafsssssss :D

As it seems that you have more faith in the sens/leafs over our habs going into the season,I guess I'LL keep my optimism ( as little as it may seem at times :lol: ),and wait till we see what our new team brings to the game.

As for you being tempted in maybe becoming a sens fan,as you said "possibly will have a strong team"

I believe there's always uncertainly

It's a choice you'll have to make,for me...no matter how this team ends up with a final roster,I will be behind them all season,good or bad.

GOHABSGO.....

Archived