The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Guess We Aren't Getting Beauchemin

Guest NvidiaN

Guest NvidiaN

My head hurts. In the back of my mind I was thinking, "well, if Koivu and Kovalev are gone...and it's true that after RFA/arbitration we'll have ~2M left, maybe we'll get someone good (like Beauchemin).

wrong. WRONG. Hopefully coach works wonders, and we pick up someone else amazing that I don't know about.

"three-year deal believed to be in the range of $10 million." .... what? I'd easily beat that, 3 years at 4 million if needed.

While Gainey did a decent job, I can't help but feel things could have been done a lot better.

"three-year deal believed to be in the range of $10 million." .... what? I'd easily beat that, 3 years at 4 million if needed.

While Gainey did a decent job, I can't help but feel things could have been done a lot better.

Really? i thought they overpaid big time. He's had injury problems his whole career & last years was the worst yet. He's looked good - not spectacular - but good, playing alongside Neidermayer and Pronger. He's touted as a puck moving defensman but never scored more than 36 pts in a season and in 5 nhl years his point totals have gone down EVERY year since that inital 36 points.

Im not saying I wouldnt want him & that he wouldnt have been a good fit as our #4 dman, but I wouldnt put anywhere near $4m/year for him. Way too risky with no solid basis in history.

Just my 2c

Really? i thought they overpaid big time. He's had injury problems his whole career & last years was the worst yet. He's looked good - not spectacular - but good, playing alongside Neidermayer and Pronger. He's touted as a puck moving defensman but never scored more than 36 pts in a season and in 5 nhl years his point totals have gone down EVERY year since that inital 36 points.

Im not saying I wouldnt want him & that he wouldnt have been a good fit as our #4 dman, but I wouldnt put anywhere near $4m/year for him. Way too risky with no solid basis in history.

Just my 2c

100% agreed. Before July 1st, Beauchemin's price tag was considered to be around $2.8M - $3.0M per year. After the Leafs signed Komisarek, however, it was clear that he'd command more $$$. The Leafs have a great defensive roster now, no doubt, but also a quite expensive one:

(cap hits per nhlnumbers.com)

Komisarek 4.5

Kaberle 4.25

Finger 3.5

Van Ryn 2.9

Schenn 2.975 (incl. bonuses)

Exelby 1.4

Frogren 1.0

White 0.95

And they're paying Toskala $4.0M a year ...

they'll probably trade kaberle for a goalie soon...who do the leafs have as forwards?? it seems like they've got all defense lol

Sitting close to a $52M cap hit without any impact forward, unless you consider Grabovski or Blake to be one.

Guest NvidiaN

They're not trading for a goalie, they're getting that big goalie from Europe. Burke's been talking to him a lot. The guy who broke all Lundquists records.

They're not trading for a goalie, they're getting that big goalie from Europe. Burke's been talking to him a lot. The guy who broke all Lundquists records.

i doubt it...i think gustaavson goes to dallas last minute...lol the leafs cant have all the luck, they are the leafs afterall...lol

The Leafs have a great defensive roster now, no doubt, but also a quite expensive one:

(cap hits per nhlnumbers.com)

Komisarek 4.5

Kaberle 4.25

Finger 3.5

Van Ryn 2.9

Schenn 2.975 (incl. bonuses)

Exelby 1.4

Frogren 1.0

White 0.95

And they're paying Toskala $4.0M a year ...

Meh, they've had good defense for ages. I mean up until recently their top 3 were Kaberle, McCabe, Kubina, etc.

The problem the leafs have is who is up front?? (and in nets) :P

Archived