The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Leafs Investigated For Tampering...

Its funny, because its the leafs, but honestly is it really such a big deal? I suppose it sets a precedent - but really, who in their right mind wouldnt expect the Sedins to "garner interest" if they had hit he open market.

Story follows:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283946

Remarks by Maple Leafs' head coach Ron Wilson on a Toronto radio station could prove to be very costly.

The Globe and Mail is reporting that the Maple Leafs are under investigation by the NHL due to Wilson's comments on the club's interest in Daniel and Henrik Sedin prior to July 1st, the first day that unrestricted free-agents could test the market.

On Tuesday, June 30, Wilson told Toronto radio station The Fan 590 that:

"You're hearing right now, and this sounds very contradictory but, there's a real possibility, I would think, that we would be going after the Sedins. Let's just speculate there."

Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke confirmed that the league was investigating the remarks.

"The league has indicated that they are looking into it, so we will have no public commentary at this time," Burke told the Globe and Mail Monday night.

While NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly did not confirm that the league was investigating tampering allegations against the Maple Leafs, he did say that the Vancouver Canucks have not filed a complaint with the league.

"We wouldn't normally comment on whether or not we were investigating a club for a potential tampering violation," Daly told the Globe and Mail.

"No, the Canucks have not filed tampering charges."

The Sedin brothers ended up resigning with the Canucks with identical five year contracts worth $6.1 million per season.

I guess the reason they need to investigate is the hypothetical case where Vancouver just put a great offer on the table and now the Sedins know there is at least one other team likely to give them a competitive offer, making them less likely to take Vancouver's before July 1.

It is more about precedent as comment or not, the Sedins had to know they would get better than the deal they signed in Vancouver elsewhere. The general idea though is you can't be publicly commenting on things like this.

Not a big deal, but a small fine or something is probably in order.

I realize it's the Sedins, but it has to be treated as if it were any player. Let's say Kovalev was only expecting about $4M after this season and would be looking for that from the Canadiens, but Ottawa expressed interest in him ahead of July 1st. He might be able to use that interest to convince the Habs to offer him more money, or he might really want to play for Ottawa but now that they have confirmed their interest, he won't accept an offer from the Habs regardless.

A simple remark like that can seriously influence contract talks that are supposed to be exclusive between two parties.

If a team like Toronto, with flexibility, is better able to meet the Sedins' wants, they might not be willing to negotiate with Vancouver because Toronto looks like they will offer exactly what they want if they wait until July 1st.

Obviously it didn't matter in this case, but it could have.

I realize it's the Sedins, but it has to be treated as if it were any player. Let's say Kovalev was only expecting about $4M after this season and would be looking for that from the Canadiens, but Ottawa expressed interest in him ahead of July 1st. He might be able to use that interest to convince the Habs to offer him more money, or he might really want to play for Ottawa but now that they have confirmed their interest, he won't accept an offer from the Habs regardless.

For sure, thats the problem. Its just funny the way it happened. I bet Burke, the ex lawyer is not happy with Wilson, thats for sure ;)

Sure the remarks could be taken the wrong way, and could possibly influence the players.

but what do you think the Agents are telling the players? That no one is interested in them? He probably has a good feeling of what certain teams will be looking for, and im sure he had a list of a few teams that would be interested in signing these 2 guys..

So the whole point is mute

Archived