Doug Janik

/ Begin

In.

Gomez

Gionta

Cammilari

Spacek

Gill

After all this talk about the Big name players we have signed and let go, think about how many players will not be comming back next season..

I dont know but for some reason the math isnt adding up for me, are we really going to have that many rookies on our roster next season?

OUT

Koivu

Kovy

Higgins

Komisarek

tangs

shneider

lang

kostopoulous

bouillion

breezer

Dandy

Marc Denis.

Doug Janik

/ Begin

In.

Gomez

Gionta

Cammilari

Spacek

Gill

After all this talk about the Big name players we have signed and let go, think about how many players will not be comming back next season..

I dont know but for some reason the math isnt adding up for me, are we really going to have that many rookies on our roster next season?

Well I think its a bit deceptive based on sheer numbers. I think you have to break it down to top 6 forwards/bottom 6 forwards & top 4 defensmen/bottom 2 or 3 defensmen...the latter category in both cases is much easier to replace and/or fill with youth.

When you look at top 6 forwards its more like:

Out: Koivu Kovalev Tangauy Lang Higgins

In: Gomez Cammy Gionta

One could argue that both Lang and Higgins are inferior to people already on our roster (AK, Pleks, SK, Lats etc)....especially if Lang is a question mark after his surgery...plus there's still a chance gainey may try to sign him (although doubtful, no real ties to here anyway).

Bottom 6 forwards:

Kosty/Dandy

Will miss both & frankly if the price is right & there's money left over I could see either (or both) resigning. Dont forget that most 3rd and 4th line UFAs dont sign until later in the summer.

Top 4 dmen

Out: Komi

Now you could argue we didnt add any top 4 - although Spacek really did play very well last year (45 points while being defensively responsible)... Gill is just a body...frankly id rather have dandy at $1m but I guess Gainey wanted some size back there & he is huge.

Boullion, Janek & Denis are all spare parts imho.

The most intriguing person on that list for me is Schneider. He made mention, after coming here last trade deadline, that he loved it here & was so glad to be back & even hinted that he "hoped to finish his career in the place he started it" At the right price, Id definitely bring back schneider. Give him 3rd line minutes & PP duties - he could put up solid numbers & have a nice easy assignment.

I dont think the number of players leaving vs. those staying is as scary as it looks - based on at over half of them being really non-impact sorts of players.

Well I think its a bit deceptive based on sheer numbers. I think you have to break it down to top 6 forwards/bottom 6 forwards & top 4 defensmen/bottom 2 or 3 defensmen...the latter category in both cases is much easier to replace and/or fill with youth.

One could argue that both Lang and Higgins are inferior to people already on our roster (AK, Pleks, SK, Lats etc)....especially if Lang is a question mark after his surgery...plus there's still a chance gainey may try to sign him (although doubtful, no real ties to here anyway).

Bottom 6 forwards:

Kosty/Dandy

Will miss both & frankly if the price is right & there's money left over I could see either (or both) resigning. Dont forget that most 3rd and 4th line UFAs dont sign until later in the summer.

Top 4 dmen

Now you could argue we didnt add any top 4 - although Spacek really did play very well last year (45 points while being defensively responsible)... Gill is just a body...frankly id rather have dandy at $1m but I guess Gainey wanted some size back there & he is huge.

The most intriguing person on that list for me is Schneider. He made mention, after coming here last trade deadline, that he loved it here & was so glad to be back & even hinted that he "hoped to finish his career in the place he started it" At the right price, Id definitely bring back schneider. Give him 3rd line minutes & PP duties - he could put up solid numbers & have a nice easy assignment.

I dont think the number of players leaving vs. those staying is as scary as it looks - based on at over half of them being really non-impact sorts of players.

Great analysis, jed. You did scare me for a second though -- I thought something happened with one of the Kostitsyns (I've seen them referred to as "Kostys" before :lol:). I am a little cautious about some of the changes, as it's always tough to swallow when the leadership of a team changes so drastically, but I think patience is key -- we don't know what we have until we see it in action, right? :)

Great analysis, jed. You did scare me for a second though -- I thought something happened with one of the Kostitsyns (I've seen them referred to as "Kostys" before :lol:). I am a little cautious about some of the changes, as it's always tough to swallow when the leadership of a team changes so drastically, but I think patience is key -- we don't know what we have until we see it in action, right? :)

Well and my big concern is that while I dont think we necessarily got worse this offseason, I do think we could have gotten better - especially if guys like Saku and Tanguay or Kovalev would have taken hometown discounts.

We'll see how this all pans out I guess.

OUT

Koivu

Kovy

Higgins

Komisarek

tangs

shneider

lang

kostopoulous

bouillion

breezer

Dandy

Marc Denis.

Doug Janik

/ Begin

In.

Gomez

Gionta

Cammilari

Spacek

Gill

that list is kind of exaggerated isnt it? tanguay, lang, schneider, denis, janik, cant be considered "old" unless you mean age with lang and schneider lol...they were all playing here for the 1st time minus schneider but he was brought in so you cant count him as a hab who had been here for years like some of the other guys in that list...dandy would have been nice to see him come back, i like his work...but im not the one getting paid to do this so its easy for me sit here and type what i would do...lol...and breezer, i mean yeah but really not much of a loss there lol...

I am a little cautious about some of the changes, as it's always tough to swallow when the leadership of a team changes so drastically, but I think patience is key -- we don't know what we have until we see it in action, right? :)

Good point.

I think we need to sit back and give this new team time to gel.

I am also a little nerverous going into the season,we are going into the unknown :lol:

Want to have a positive outlook for this team & give them time & PATIENCE will be the key.

GOHABSSSSSSSSSSSS

I think patience is key -- we don't know what we have until we see it in action, right? :)

The habs should be printing out bumper stickers with this on it & handing them out all over montreal.

The very real truth is that with this many changes, who knows what we're going to see next year. To be honest, I wouldnt be shocked to see us challenge for 1st in the east...and I also wouldnt be floored to see us miss the playoffs. there are just so many question marks & 'what ifs' that cannot be addressed until we see this team on ice.

On the one hand it looks like we lost depth up front, but on the other I think we increased our high-level talent exponentially. Of course that raises other questions like: If Gainey just spent $18m on Gomez, Cammy & Gionta, will they be a line together & will they now be given Lecavalier-type ice time. If the answer is yes, we may be in for the highest scoring player(s) this team has seen in over a decade. 90 pts? 100 pts for one of them? 50 goals?

On defense we lost a player who was a hero 2 years ago, but a zero last year. If Hamrlik & his newly acquired countryman Spacek can have solid years, our D is better than last year...especially if Obyrne actually is allowed to develop (which i think he will under martin) rather than being forced into situations he's not ready for.

Patience = key right now. Lets wait to complain & judge this squad until November or even December rolls around.

It's not like Bob just signed anyone. He hired Martin for a reason, to have a more diciplined team on and off the ice that can play solid 2 way hockey. He went out and signed players who have played that brand of hockey before so the system wont be too much of a shock to the newcomers...maybe even helped bring them in.

With any problems in a dressing room it always takes drastic measures to weed them out. That's been done...an how! But, once this team buys into playing the 2 way game (Pleks shone when he played it 2 seasons ago), I know this is a solid playoff team that will challenge for 4th and may even push for top 3 status if everything works out a la 07-08.

i feel this team is capable of making the playoffs this year ; with martins system that he runs and the playoff ; experience the new additions provide ; i like the way this team is heading ; change is a good thing for the franchise and i know its hard for some to take ; but i feel it was time ; cant wait to see what this season brings

Bottom 6 forwards:

Kosty/Dandy

Top 4 dmen

I'm with you on this one Jed. Some have issues with Gil, I don't, specially when all around us teams are bulking up. Does anyone remember what the Big Bird brought to this team ( besides choppy skating and awkward strides)? The guy would dent the boards with your body, he would rarely fight, but when he did, watch out!

Gil is not the same type of player, but the size definitely helps.

Is it confirmed that Kosto isn't coming back?

I know the league is filled with Kosto type players, but there's something inspiring about a guy who'd take sticks and fists to the face, just to knock in a rebound. 2 seasons ago he was our leading scorer in the playoffs (or was it gwg). Either way, he lead the team and even took on Chara. He may be a dime a dozen, but he's a special lil player who'd I'd like to see back. What he lacks in talent, he more than makes up for it in hustle and grit.

Archived