The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#22 Paul Mara

habfanforlife-85

43733864.jpg

Montreal Canadiens General Manager Bob Gainey announced Friday the signing of defenseman Paul Mara to a one-year contract for the 2009-10 season. As per Club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

« Paul Mara will bring size and experience to our group of defensemen. He can contribute to all facets of the game », said Bob Gainey.

Last season, the 6-4, 212-pound defenseman scored 21 points (5 goals, 16 assists) with 94 penalty minutes, 102 shots on goal, a plus-2 rating and an 18:57 time on ice average in 76 regular-season games with the New York Rangers. In 10 NHL seasons, the 29-year-old amassed 239 points (63 goals, 176 assists), fired 943 shots on goal and served 640 penalty minutes in 639 regular season games, with Tampa Bay, Phoenix, Boston, and the New York Rangers.

A native of Ridgewood, New Jersey, Mara represented Team USA at the World Junior Championship on three occasions (1997 to 1999) and won a bronze medal at the 2004 World Championship, in Czech Republic.

Mara was selected in the first round by the Tampa Bay Lightning, 7th overall at the 1997 NHL Entry Draft.

A full audio interview with Paul can be heard at www.habsinsideout.com where Paul says he will wear #22.

Welcome Paul!

Interesting listening to his interview on the signing, he sais he signed with Montreal because he believed we have the best chance of winning a cup.

Paul Mara is good and but he's left-handed. Our top 6 defensemen (Markov, Hamrlik, Spacek, Gill, Gorges, Mara) are all lefties!

Interesting listening to his interview on the signing, he sais he signed with Montreal because he believed we have the best chance of winning a cup.

Take that with a grain of salt. He (rightfully) didn't disclose the name of the 4 or 5 other clubs who were interested in his services. If those teams were umm... atlanta, buffalo, LA and NYI, or even NYR, it's obvious that his chances are better with the Habs ;)

This being said, I like the guy and that interview left me with a solid impression that he's totally motivated to help make this new team a very good team. Actually, I think all the new guys see this unusual situation as an exciting challenge.

Mom, are we there yet? :D

The guy is a career -95! yikes! And don't say that +/- doesn't mean anything and don't say it's because he always plays against the other team's top players.

it's not so much because of who he played against as much as it is who he played for/with. who cares about a -27 with the lightning 10 years ago? going with the 'what have you done for me lately' saying, he's been on the + side for that last 3 seasons with NYR :P

it's not so much because of who he played against as much as it is who he played for/with. who cares about a -27 with the lightning 10 years ago? going with the 'what have you done for me lately' saying, he's been on the + side for that last 3 seasons with NYR :P

he's a whopping +9 over the last 3 seasons. (+2) last year. but the rangers were somewhat offensively challenged last year.

bah, markov was a 'whopping' +1 in the last 3 seasons, lets get rid of the bum ;)

back to mara, i'm sure many have seen this clip already but if not, take a fee minutes and watch it. the dude is funny and with him, there will certainly not be any issue of 'guys dont talk on the ice'

singing jingle bells during a game? :lol:

Why doesn't anybody react to my comment about Mara being left-handed, just like Markov and Hamrlik and Spacek and Gill and Gorges? I know that a professional defenseman can make the switch to the other side. If Gorges did it, so can the others. But don't you want a defenseman who's always played the right side and is a "natural" there? Who's going to be Markov's partner on the top defensive pair?

Why doesn't anybody react to my comment about Mara being left-handed, just like Markov and Hamrlik and Spacek and Gill and Gorges? I know that a professional defenseman can make the switch to the other side. If Gorges did it, so can the others. But don't you want a defenseman who's always played the right side and is a "natural" there? Who's going to be Markov's partner on the top defensive pair?

IMO you play hockey not based on whether you are left or right handed. Sure there can be situation when it would be great to have a right hand or left hand shot or stick in the passing lane. But I would personally take the better player everytime. The Russian team at the Worlds was entirely one hand for the shot and they won the World's in Quebec City. The HHOF has lots and lots of right and left hand players. I would even bet that several of the best forward lines of all time hand all left or right hand shots.

I really hope that Mara was not the Rangers D that I thought was a pylon. Seriously there was a Rangers D that in a game at Madison Square that looks slower then molasses. Please tell me that Mara is an average or better skater.

Paul Mara

Assets:

Has the size teams look for in a blueliner and skates very well for a big man. Displays the mentality of a power-play quarterback and likes to lead the rush.

Archived