The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#32 - Travis Moen

Flunky

Leave it up to me, the caveman of computer technology, to have to cobble together the official TRAVIS MOEN player thread.

Fine. Be that way.

FYI, my PC is coal-fired and the chute is clogged again, so don't expect much.

First off, there is no picture available.

And not because I can't figure out how to paste one in.

It's because Travis is not a pretty boy, sissy-arse player, who needs a girlie portrait.

He's a big ( 6'2", 215), mean, Canadian lad who the Habs desperately needed. Thanks Bob.

*He's missed 5 games in the past 3 seasons( 82-77-82).

*He's got a Cup Ring (with Anaheim-06), and a deserved one, having totalled 12 points in 21 games with a +5 rating for the Ducks.

*He led San Jose in playoff hits last season(At least one player showed up for the Sharks).

*He got the takedown in an epic battle with Carcillo (see You Tube), and is one of few current Habs who could hold their own with Lucic.

Stats, schmats.

This guy will be an incredible upgrade on Kostopolous.

Same energy, but instead of losing fights, he tends to win them.

Love ya Travis!

Welcome aboard!!!!

Maybe now they can trade Laraque :D

Its nice to have a fighter who will actually do what he is payed for AND get some points.

Yeah I love BGL but he didn't really get a chance to prove himself here. Last year he was a scratch most of the time under Carbo. Moen might be his replacement and another trade could be in the works.

So we can have a 27 year old 6'2" 216lb Stanley Cup champion checking winger locked up for 3 years, for the same amount of money we gave to BGL to sit in the press box all year? :blink:

I don't give a damn about Moen's Cup ring. It takes a whole team to win a Cup, not just one checker. I object, as I have in the past, to signing lower-tier players to contracts longer than two years. It's unnecessary and it gives us less flexibility against the cap for a guy whose presence or absence will not, in the final analysis, be the difference between us being a contender and not being a contender.

Laraque is exactly why we should avoid throwing out three-year contracts to lower-tier players. The signing may look great at the time, but you never know what will happen, and frankly these players are simply not that important.

My God, man, the term on Moen's contract is only one year less than that of ANDREI MARKOV.

So we can have a 27 year old 6'2" 216lb Stanley Cup champion checking winger locked up for 3 years, for the same amount of money we gave to BGL to sit in the press box all year? :blink:

I didn't think it was possible, but our fourth line grinders just got more expensive (was it confirmed he signed for 1.5 million?)

Between Metropolit, Laraque, and Moen, that's 4.5 million: meanwhile we lack a #2 dman and our depth at center has major question marks: some things never change

I don't give a damn about Moen's Cup ring. It takes a whole team to win a Cup, not just one checker. I object, as I have in the past, to signing lower-tier players to contracts longer than two years. It's unnecessary and it gives us less flexibility against the cap for a guy whose presence or absence will not, in the final analysis, be the difference between us being a contender and not being a contender.

Laraque is exactly why we should avoid throwing out three-year contracts to lower-tier players. The signing may look great at the time, but you never know what will happen, and frankly these players are simply not that important.

My God, man, the term on Moen's contract is only one year less than that of ANDREI MARKOV.

Of course it takes more than a freakin' third line checker to win a cup, do you really think anyone is stupid enough to imply that? I was suggesting that because he has won a cup playing a role as a shutdown winger, he knows what it takes to shut down the offense of the top teams in the league during a grueling playoff series. That's never a bad thing, and is the main reason I am not opposed to the Gill signing either.

Salary cap flexibility is not a substantial concern when you are discussing a salary that occupies less than 3% of your cap space. If someone needs to be let go to make room for re-signing, you can trade a lower tier player for draft picks. This is not a bad contract. I am more concerned with a Roman Hamrlik type contract, where you have an underperforming player locked up for $5.5 million long term.

Personally, I would have signed Markov for a hell of a lot longer than 4 years.

So we can have a 27 year old 6'2" 216lb Stanley Cup champion checking winger locked up for 3 years,

Mike Zigomanis is a cup champion too. Winners are stupid, good players are what a team should aim for. Players don't win games, they win a "share" of the game, teams win games.

for the same amount of money we gave to BGL to sit in the press box all year? :blink:

Thats not a point in anybodys favor <_<

I didn't think it was possible, but our fourth line grinders just got more expensive (was it confirmed he signed for 1.5 million?)

Between Metropolit, Laraque, and Moen, that's 4.5 million: meanwhile we lack a #2 dman and our depth at center has major question marks: some things never change

Well in Moen's defense, hes a small notch higher than Metropolit and especially Laraque, as hes actually useful and good at what he does. I don't mind the 3 years in this specific case, particularly since the Habs don't have that many "shutdown" guys, and the only one on the horizon is Chips and who knows with him.

Mike Zigomanis is a cup champion too. Winners are stupid, good players are what a team should aim for. Players don't win games, they win a "share" of the game, teams win games.

You all seem to be missing the point. Moen played a significant shutdown role on that championship team. Yes, teams win games, but in order to be effective, a team must be comprised of a number of key pieces. This is one of them.

Thats not a point in anybodys favor <_<

I suppose BG's actions cancel. He countered a year old poor decision with a rather good one.

Like Graeme said, add Moen, Metropolit, and Laraque up and you have $4.5 million in cap space. Add Hal Gill in there and you've got almost $7 million. Enough to re-sign Komisarek or sign Beauchemin (legit top-four d-men, fulfilling a vital team need). Enough to go out and get a legit first-line winger instead of Brian Gonta. Or enough to re-sign Saku, Kovalev or Tanguay.

But nope, we've got close to $7 million tied up in fourth-line forwards and third-pairing d-men. That is not money well-spent.

That is why I object to the term on Moen. In three years, we'll be in the same boat with Moen and a whole new crop of lower-tier players whom Gainey will have 'locked up' to multi-year deals for reasons beyond my comprehension. Every damn year, we waste upwards of $5 million in cap on marginality. It's bad business.

You all seem to be missing the point. Moen played a significant shutdown role on that championship team. Yes, teams win games, but in order to be effective, a team must be comprised of a number of key pieces. This is one of them.

I'm not missing any point, you just don't get it. The fact he was a shutdown on a championship team means very little. If he was a good shutdown guy on the Islanders, it still means the same. These are professional athletes, they play nearly the same no matter the conditions over a decent sample size.

Like Graeme said, add Moen, Metropolit, and Laraque up and you have $4.5 million in cap space. Add Hal Gill in there and you've got almost $7 million. Enough to re-sign Komisarek or sign Beauchemin (legit top-four d-men, fulfilling a vital team need). Enough to go out and get a legit first-line winger instead of Brian Gonta. Or enough to re-sign Saku, Kovalev or Tanguay.

But nope, we've got close to $7 million tied up in fourth-line forwards and third-pairing d-men. That is not money well-spent.

That is why I object to the term on Moen. In three years, we'll be in the same boat with Moen and a whole new crop of lower-tier players whom Gainey will have 'locked up' to multi-year deals for reasons beyond my comprehension. Every damn year, we waste upwards of $5 million in cap on marginality. It's bad business.

I don't mind the Moen or Metropolit contracts in terms of annual salary, I mean SOMEBODY has to be there. And those 2 are fairly decent players at what they do. As I mentioned before, the Habs really don't have much on the horizon in terms of those players except Chips whose a question mark and Stewart who really hasn't done anything.

They could probably find cheaper options at UFA maybe, but would they be of the same quality? We're splitting hairs when we start to analyze 4th liners but its a point worth making. I don't mind the money on 4th liners if its money well-spent.

Like Graeme said, add Moen, Metropolit, and Laraque up and you have $4.5 million in cap space. Add Hal Gill in there and you've got almost $7 million.

Actually, it's closer to $4 million, approximately $6.25 million including Gill. So we've got 4 lower tier players locked up for an average of just over $1.5 million each. Not bad. What would you prefer? The team obviously needs to ice a group of players in those positions, so do you want to pay inferior players $1 million a year each, and save a whopping $2.25 million? Wow, I'm glad you're not the GM of this team.

Enough to re-sign Komisarek or sign Beauchemin (legit top-four d-men, fulfilling a vital team need). Enough to go out and get a legit first-line winger instead of Brian Gonta. Or enough to re-sign Saku, Kovalev or Tanguay.

The $2.25 million we would save by signing 4 inferior players wouldn't get us Komisarek or Beauchemin, or any other "legitimate" top 2 defenseman.

Komisarek? Seriously? I had no problem with Komisarek when he was making around $2/year, but $4.5 million for a player who is completely one dimensional, useless offensively, often caught out of position, and unable to make a good first pass? I'd rather have Spacek and Mara over Komisarek any day.

Gionta is a legit first line winger. He just needs an elite playmaker on his line, something he hasn't had since none other than Scott Gomez left NJ. And again, $2 million isn't enough to sign any of the players you mentioned.

Closer to $6 million actually, which is probably close to league average for 4 lower tier players. Pretty good use of money.

Those roster positions need to be filled. The players we have signed for that role are relatively cheap, so why does it matter if the contract is a year longer? I really don't see your logic at all.

I still don't know why you continue to state that $5 million is wasted every year. Again, are you going to fill the bottom 5 with volunteers?

I'm not missing any point, you just don't get it. The fact he was a shutdown on a championship team means very little. If he was a good shutdown guy on the Islanders, it still means the same. These are professional athletes, they play nearly the same no matter the conditions over a decent sample size.

I "get it" just fine thank you. I understand that playing regular season games for a bottom dwelling team with low expectations is significantly different from battling the league's top scoring lines game after game during a (potentially) 7 game playoff series. A guy who proves himself to be a good shutdown guy against variable regular season competition may not be as effective in a 5 game playoff series against the league's top offensive line as Moen was.

some people here just make me laugh. Everyone screaming we need ot get tougher and bigger. WHen we add that guy, at a good price for a decent term ( a big guy that has a bit of jam in his legs too) people complain we spent too much? lol Like I said, if we had #99 in his prime, people would be on here complaining about his hair cut. Thsi team is FAR better than it was last year. 2 years ago we were the fastest team in the NHl.....this year we are faster. Last year we were too small and soft.......will, now this year with Gill and Moen, and possibly Stewart making the cut we are bigger and stronger.

The only way to shut some of these people up is to jump in the time machine and bring back the team from the 70's in their prime lol.......then people would complain about the facial hair styles lol

The only way to shut some of these people up is to jump in the time machine and bring back the team from the 70's in their prime lol.......then people would complain about the facial hair styles lol

nah, i'd personally complain about their brown plaid jackets and the width of their ties when they arrive at the arena :lol:

I'm sure Gainey would have preferred a shorter term and less salary as well. However it's a competitive market place.

I believe he selected the guys he needed and ultimately agreed to terms that we could live with in order to get the deal. It's not like he is deliberately throwing cash away. Overall, I think this and the Mara signings are great pickups and augment our team well - just what we needed. I think we are looking pretty good right now.

Actually, it's closer to $4 million, approximately $6.25 million including Gill. So we've got 4 lower tier players locked up for an average of just over $1.5 million each. Not bad. What would you prefer? The team obviously needs to ice a group of players in those positions, so do you want to pay inferior players $1 million a year each, and save a whopping $2.25 million? Wow, I'm glad you're not the GM of this team.

The $2.25 million we would save by signing 4 inferior players wouldn't get us Komisarek or Beauchemin, or any other "legitimate" top 2 defenseman.

Komisarek? Seriously? I had no problem with Komisarek when he was making around $2/year, but $4.5 million for a player who is completely one dimensional, useless offensively, often caught out of position, and unable to make a good first pass? I'd rather have Spacek and Mara over Komisarek any day.

Gionta is a legit first line winger. He just needs an elite playmaker on his line, something he hasn't had since none other than Scott Gomez left NJ. And again, $2 million isn't enough to sign any of the players you mentioned.

Closer to $6 million actually, which is probably close to league average for 4 lower tier players. Pretty good use of money.

Those roster positions need to be filled. The players we have signed for that role are relatively cheap, so why does it matter if the contract is a year longer? I really don't see your logic at all.

I still don't know why you continue to state that $5 million is wasted every year. Again, are you going to fill the bottom 5 with volunteers?

I "get it" just fine thank you. I understand that playing regular season games for a bottom dwelling team with low expectations is significantly different from battling the league's top scoring lines game after game during a (potentially) 7 game playoff series. A guy who proves himself to be a good shutdown guy against variable regular season competition may not be as effective in a 5 game playoff series against the league's top offensive line as Moen was.

They just don't get it... :rolleyes:

I just wish people would just forget

I also agree with Habs4Life. Moen is a solid pickup. A third line shutdown player contributing 12 points in 21 games for the Ducks during there playoff run...that is pretty damn good if you ask me!! He is just entering his prime now at 27 years old. I think the term and length of the contract at 3 years 1.5M per is great as well. Perhaps a move like this may provide Latendresse the opportunity add some size on the first two lines and perhaps a breakout year....

Various sources report the Montreal Canadiens today signed forward Travis Moen to a three-year contract. Financial terms weren't disclosed.

**UPDATE** ESPN cites a source saying it's for $4.5 million, which equates to a cap hit of $1.5 million per season.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: My thanks to everyone who sent this in. GM Bob Gainey was busy addressing depth and size issues on his roster today. It's also safe to say that with the signing of Moen and Paul Mara earlier today that Mathieu Dandenault and Francis Bouillon won't be returning to the Canadiens

Archived