The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Hockeybuzz: Habs/hawks Deal?

"*Meanwhile, the Canadiens are talking to the Blackhawks about a deal that would send "two top line players, one forward and one d-man" to Montreal." -Hockeybuzz

First off Im well aware of the accuracy from hockeybuzz... I am also well aware that for every deal there is usually several rumours about the same player/team out there that can't come true because its mathematically impossible... Hockeybuzz presents rumours, TSN presents news, take it for what its worth to you...

I personally feel that nothing will come of this... But Gainey has been more active this year and may still wanna move players he doesn't wanna risk having for another season... could Plekanec, A. Kostitsyn, S. Kostitsyn, Hamrlik and/or etc. be on the way out? and for what?

"*Meanwhile, the Canadiens are talking to the Blackhawks about a deal that would send "two top line players, one forward and one d-man" to Montreal." -Hockeybuzz

First off Im well aware of the accuracy from hockeybuzz... I am also well aware that for every deal there is usually several rumours about the same player/team out there that can't come true because its mathematically impossible... Hockeybuzz presents rumours, TSN presents news, take it for what its worth to you...

I personally feel that nothing will come of this... But Gainey has been more active this year and may still wanna move players he doesn't wanna risk having for another season... could Plekanec, A. Kostitsyn, S. Kostitsyn, Hamrlik and/or etc. be on the way out? and for what?

Who knows, but with Bob's lousy track record we seriously shouldn't expect him to trade for anyone worthwhile! :o

Who knows, but with Bob's lousy track record we seriously shouldn't expect him to trade for anyone worthwhile! :o

Brilliant insight. You're back on my ignore list.

If there is any truth to this, it's logical to think that Gainey may be going after Brian Campbell to reunite the top defensive pair from the President's trophy winning Buffalo team of 06/07. How we would afford him I don't know, so it's more likely that Eklund is full of crap once again.

Here's a possibility that fits capwise for both teams...

TO MTL: W/C - Patrick Sharp 3.9 million and D-Brent Sopel 2.34 million

TO CHI: D-Roman Hamrlik 5.5 million

Sharp is second line material W/C and Sopel is an experienced right-hand "D" (still a half decent 4th IMO) which the Habs have in very short supply.

Chicago get a possible/probale improvement on "D" in the Hammer who can help out their young core.

I've read elswhere (Spector) that the Hawks could be in the hunt for an experienced d-man and would be willing, perhaps to part with some of there talented forwards.

Sharp is second line material W/C and Sopel is an experienced right-hand "D" (still a half decent 4th IMO) which the Habs have in very short supply.

Chicago get a possible/probale improvement on "D" in the Hammer who can help out their young core.

I've read elswhere (Spector) that the Hawks could be in the hunt for an experienced d-man and would be willing, perhaps to part with some of there talented forwards.

thats a heck of a trade there brian! though id see more than just the hammer going their way. prospects and/or draft picks would be included.

well, lets sit and wait, if gainey has done anything right its keeping the trade rumours and signings a secret from everyone until its locked and the papers are signed by all parties.

Not likely to happen mate. Chicago is looking to shed salary, not off load good players. They are in a huge cup running position and trading Sharp is not an option I would imagine. If anything the deal will include Campbell coming our way, which would be awful in my opinion.

Hockeybuzz provides RUMOURS, the sooner people gets this through their thick skulls the sooner they realize that only 5% of rumours can actually happen... The meaning of rumour- "a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth"...

By the way, are you calling me (and other fans)an Idiot for thinking there may be a possibility that Gainey has had talks with the Hawks? Last time I checked there are rules on these forums about bashing other people needlessly... It would be nice if a moderator would enforce these rules regardless of their own feelings to that site...

Did hockeybuzz get a single UFA rumour right other than Koivu going to Anaheim (which was obvious)??

Just adding on to this.

To Montreal: Patrick Sharp, Brent Sopel

To Chicago: Roman Hamrlik, Tomas PLekanec, 2nd '10

Yeah... I think 1/2 the members on the board called that one 2 weeks in advance. :lol:

And yet it took Koivu so long to sign... Which to me proves Koivu was having talks with other teams, including the Wild... There were rumours he was signing in Anahiem and Minny... Can't sign to both teams, which means one of the rumours had to fall through, doesn't mean it wasn't a possibility

I dont see it. I know that Gainey has coveted Toews for some time but i think the opportunity to get him (while he was still a prospect perhaps) has come and gone. I think even a package of the kostitsyn brothers would fall short.

It would be nice to move Hamrlik (as much as I do actually like him, turning his $5m+ a year into 2 players at $3m and $2m each would be better for our defense) but chicago is over the cap right now - no way they take on MORE salary.

Folks, lets be careful with the choice of words here.

There is a fine line between calling someone a name & different people will interpret these things differently. I know the OP meant no harm by his statements but I also see how others may not see it as such.

Lets get back on the discussion at hand please & leave the questionable choice of words out, or the thread will be closed and warnings may be issued.

Cheers.

Sharp is somewhere between a 1st and 2nd liner. He was quite hot before he got injured last season. No way we are getting him and Sopel for Hamrlik.

I doubt we will get Campbell though, I mean unless we shed some salary or swap Markov. If we do swap Markov for Campbell, there better be some good hawks player in that trade. I hope it doesnt happen though.

Sharp is somewhere between a 1st and 2nd liner. He was quite hot before he got injured last season. No way we are getting him and Sopel for Hamrlik.

I doubt we will get Campbell though, I mean unless we shed some salary or swap Markov. If we do swap Markov for Campbell, there better be some good hawks player in that trade. I hope it doesnt happen though.

Markov is just as good if not better of a player for a cheaper price, I'd only be interested in a Chicago deal if it involved Sharp.

Just adding on to this.

To Montreal: Patrick Sharp, Brent Sopel

To Chicago: Roman Hamrlik, Tomas PLekanec, 2nd '10

take out hamrlik(hawks wont want his sallery ) and sopel(we have enough d men)

add a prospect in the deal fischer

to chi

fischer

pleck

2nd

to mtl

sharp

why do the hawks do this

they got hossa

and to clear rooom to sign kane and towes

take out hamrlik(hawks wont want his sallery ) and sopel(we have enough d men)

add a prospect in the deal fischer

to chi

fischer

pleck

2nd

to mtl

sharp

why do the hawks do this

they got hossa

and to clear rooom to sign kane and towes

No way do I do this deal, the way I look at it is Chicago is the team in trouble or will be in trouble. If they want to make a deal let's do it on our terms not theirs. I would not trade away any more of my d-men prospects espescially since we traded McDonaugh I don't want to start getting thin back there on the depth chart.

The teams the Habs have been mentioned in lately with trade rumours, Sharks and Hawks, Bob should be dealing from a position of strength not a weakness, if only to flip a player again to either get another player to fit within the cap and get a pick or two to come with it. Let's not us be the one throwing i the extra player or prospect or pick. It's time we were on the receiving end of the better deal.

I dont understand these rumours of the habs taking on huge salaries for someone who makes next to nothing and inflating our cap for the next years even more...

surely gainey doesnt want to be in the position of tampa bay and have to deal his assets for mike smith and change... just to clear salary.

i doubt montreal will take on more salary without at least shipping out an equal or greater contract. An unless i am mistaken, chicago is pretty much in the same boat.

and pleks should be given the chance to evolve sans the kovalev show to prove his skills. Keeping him will probably be worth more then trading him.

Archived