The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2009-2010 Standing Prediction

137 members have voted

1. 1. Which place in the Eastern Conference do you think the habs will end up?

• 1st-3rd
    • 4th-6th
    • 7th-9th
    • 10th-12th
    • 13th-15th

2008-2009 standings

Tie-Breaking procedure

Division leaders are seeded 1, 2, and 3 in Conference standings. If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:

* The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).

* The greater number of games won.

* The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.

* The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.

1 - Boston Bruins

y - Washington Capitals

y - New Jersey Devils

x - Pittsburgh Penguins

x - Philadelphia Flyers

x - Carolina Hurricanes

x - New York Rangers

x - Montréal Canadiens

9.Florida Panthers

10.Buffalo Sabres

11.Ottawa Senators

12. Toronto Maple Leafs

13. Atlanta Thrashers

14.Tampa Bay Lightning

15.New York Islanders

1 - San Jose Sharks

y - Detroit Red Wings

y - Vancouver Canucks

x - Chicago Blackhawks

x - Calgary Flames

x - St Louis Blues

x - Columbus Blue Jackets

x - Anaheim Ducks

9.Minnesota Wild

10.Nashville Predators

11. Edmonton Oilers

12.Dallas Stars

13.Phoenix Coyotes

14.Los Angeles Kings

15.Colorado Avalanche

1 - Flyers

y - Bruins

y - Caps

x - Penguins

x - Canadiens

x - Devils

x - Panthers

x - Sabres

9. Hurricanes

10. Rangers

11. Lightning

12. Leafs

13. Isles

14. Sens

15. Thrashers

1 - Blackhawks

y - Sharks

y - Wild

x - Red Wings

x - Blue Jackets

x - Blues

x - Canucks

x - Kings

9. Ducks

10. Predators

11. Flames

12. Stars

13. Coyotes

14. Avs

15. Oilers

1.) Flyers

2.) Capitals

3.) Bruins

4.) Penguins

5.) Devils

6.) Canadiens

7.) Hurricanes

8.) Rangers

------------------------

9.) Sabres

10.) Panthers

11.) Leafs

12.) Sens

13.) Lightning

14.) Islanders

15.) Trashers

1) Capitals

2) Penguins

3) Flyers

4) Canadiens

5) Bruins

6) Devils

7) Hurricanes

8) Lightning (you read it here first :D)

----------------

9) Rangers

10) Senators

11) Sabres

12) Leafs

13) Islanders

14) Panthers

15) Thrashers

1) Capitals

2) Penguins

3) Flyers

4) Canadiens

5) Bruins

6) Devils

7) Hurricanes

8) Lightning (you read it here first :D)

----------------

9) Rangers

10) Senators

11) Sabres

12) Leafs

13) Islanders

14) Panthers

15) Thrashers

The Pens and Flyers can`t go 2-3, same division :P

I could see the Bolts going to the playoffs, they need a healthy Smith and big years from their D core.

The Pens and Flyers can`t go 2-3, same division :P

I could see the Bolts going to the playoffs, they need a healthy Smith and big years from their D core.

Too right, my mistake, which means we get lucky and finish in the top3 next year ;)

The Bruins won't repeat their run from last year, I just don't see it happening <_<

I could see them plummeting to 2 or 3, but IMO they still take the division. Their team defense is strong and their offense is deep.

It's probably more wishful thinking than anything else on my part but let's just see if Thomas can repeat the extraordinary season he had (which was a huge factor for their success IMO) and what happens when they lose key players to injuries. If I recall correctly, Lucic was their only long(er)-term injury last year. Plus everybody knows now that the Bruins and Pens are the teams to beat in the East, so there's added pressure involved. Again, nothing tangible but they'll have a harder time than last year, when nobody really saw them almost finishing first overall in the league.

It's probably more wishful thinking than anything else on my part but let's just see if Thomas can repeat the extraordinary season he had (which was a huge factor for their success IMO) and what happens when they lose key players to injuries. If I recall correctly, Lucic was their only long(er)-term injury last year. Plus everybody knows now that the Bruins and Pens are the teams to beat in the East, so there's added pressure involved. Again, nothing tangible but they'll have a harder time than last year, when nobody really saw them almost finishing first overall in the league.

IMO Thomas success was more defined by his team than his team was defined by Thomas.

It's way too early to say. This new team could really click right off the opening draw and win their division, or it could take them half the season to get going. Either way, this is definitely a playoff team.

Agree,in bold.

I also with hold off for a bit.

Till we see if anymore acquisitions are added to the roster,as we are not sure if BG is done yet.

IMO Thomas success was more defined by his team than his team was defined by Thomas.

Agreed. IMO the playoffs spoke to this point quite clearly. Thomas posted great numbers as long as his team defense was great and the Bruins were giving him three and four-goal cushions. Otherwise, he looked pretty ordinary.

Agreed. IMO the playoffs spoke to this point quite clearly. Thomas posted great numbers as long as his team defense was great and the Bruins were giving him three and four-goal cushions. Otherwise, he looked pretty ordinary.

Didn't he have the best Save% in the league?...Boston should be strong again this year but not as good as last...hardly any injuries..if Chara is out they're in big trouble..didn't make hardly any changes and will be hard pressed to repeat ....I see Washington / Penguins fighting out for top spot then its anyones guess between Montreal/Boston/Philly with Rangers eighth....should be a tighter year point-wise

Didn't he have the best Save% in the league?...Boston should be strong again this year but not as good as last...hardly any injuries..if Chara is out they're in big trouble..didn't make hardly any changes and will be hard pressed to repeat ....I see Washington / Penguins fighting out for top spot then its anyones guess between Montreal/Boston/Philly with Rangers eighth....should be a tighter year point-wise

IMO Boston takes our division again. They're still very strong in every area, they play great team defense, and guys like Kessel and Wheeler are only going to get better. That being said, I don't think they will be nearly as dominant in the conference, because lots of other teams have gotten better.

I'd try my hand at predicting where we'll finish, but given all the changes, I have no earthly clue where we'll end up. No result would surprise me, except a basement finish. If we end up in 15th place in the conference, I'll be shocked, because just on talent alone, this squad should be able to avoid the basement fairly easily.

Archived