The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Will We Ever Have Another 100 Point Scorer Again?

catt-_mtlc

Will we ever see another 100 point scorer?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Will another member of the Montreal Canadiens score 100 points?

• Yes
    • No

The last Hab to get 100 points was Matts Naslund in 1985-86 when he amassed 110 points.

Naslund_Mats_004.jpg

The closest that any other player has gotten to the magical 100 point mark since then was Vincent Damphousse in 1992-93 with 97 points and then Pierre Turgeon in 1995-96 with 96 points.

The question is will anyone else do it again within the next decade or so?

100 point seasons are getting rarer.

Unless we end up with Malkin, Ovechkin or Crosby, I'm guessing the answer is not anytime soon.

The two seasons after the lockout, there were 6 or 7 players who reached 100 points.

In the last two years, only those three players have accomplished it and I don't see any players of their caliber on the horizon in the NHL, let alone in Montreal.

:lol:

You laugh, and yet you think Plekanec is among the best centers in the league?

Honestly, I don't think Andrei will break 100 points BUT he does have the most raw skill out of any of our youth at the moment.

I think what we all would have to realize though, is that breaking 100 isn't nearly as easy as it sounds. What that means is averaging 5 points every 4 games, and in the last two seasons there were only 5 players who did it, two of whom were repeats.

I'd say we'd be hard pressed to have a Hab break 90 points in the near future...

You laugh, and yet you think Plekanec is among the best centers in the league?

Honestly, I don't think Andrei will break 100 points BUT he does have the most raw skill out of any of our youth at the moment.

I think what we all would have to realize though, is that breaking 100 isn't nearly as easy as it sounds. What that means is averaging 5 points every 4 games, and in the last two seasons there were only 5 players who did it, two of whom were repeats.

I'd say we'd be hard pressed to have a Hab break 90 points in the near future...

I respect, and appreciate, your opinion on this, even if it's not the same as mine. :) Thank you.

One question tho....do you not think A. Kostitsyn could, realistically, get 90 (or even 100) points, with a (let's just say) Lecalvier calibre player, centering a line with him, and perhaps, a Pacioretty, or Latendresse on the other side? I'm not saying it could happen this season, or next...first (as has been the problem for a long time) we need to find that 1st line superstar centerman. I just see so much potential in this kid. ;)

I respect, and appreciate, your opinion on this, even if it's not the same as mine. :) Thank you.

One question tho....do you not think A. Kostitsyn could, realistically, get 90 (or even 100) points, with a (let's just say) Lecalvier calibre player, centering a line with him, and perhaps, a Pacioretty, or Latendresse on the other side? I'm not saying it could happen this season, or next...first (as has been the problem for a long time) we need to find that 1st line superstar centerman. I just see so much potential in this kid. ;)

Realistically, no. Possibly, yes.

Again, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin are the only players to break 100 in the last two seasons. That seems to suggest that you need to be a really high caliber player to reach that mark now. I like Kostitsyn's chances for putting up some good numbers, but he simply isn't of that caliber.

I would assume that eventually (sometime in our future) we will have a 100 point scorer again... Who that would be? Well, I have no idea what-so-ever. I don't believe there is anyone on the team right now with that potential. Perhaps Cammalleri can come close to being a P.P.G. player, but 100 points seems out of the question.

King Louis? ;P haha just had to say it. But i too see alot of potential in A Kostitsyn. Ea sports must of seen that too. Because in their games hes always getting 90-100 points in the first couple of seasons. and this is in 08 and all the games are simulated basically! he does have lots of upside to him if hes plays with good linemates.

Chris

I think if there's anyone on the team that would do it, it would be Andrei (with the exception of maybe Cammalleri), so I actually do agree with you there. The kid does have an immense amount of potential, that is for sure.

But even with a superstar by his side, it would still be extremely difficult to achieve. Look at the players who play alongside the superstars in the league, it is very tough to come by even if you're playing with the Iginlas, Lecavaliers, Thorntons, Malkins, etc. of the league.

Archived